Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times

Advertisements

My gosh, can this imbecile make his points without attacking someone, whether it be a business, an individual, his predecessor, or a dead president?

RutherfordGate: Historian Responds to President Obama

RutherfordGate: Historian Responds to President Obama’s Hayes Slur

Quote:
We thought it was a bit unsporting of Obama to attack President Hayes, who is quite unable to respond.
A perfect target in obama's mind.

Quote:
Wait, so Hayes didn't even say the quote that Obama is mocking him for? "No, no," Card confirmed.
Our current president is a master at mocking people especially those that disagree with his ideas.

Obama (falsely) attacks predecessor -- Rutherford B. Hayes

Quote:
It's unusual for a president to criticize a predecessor by name in public.

It's very unusual to hear one criticize a predecessor from the 19th Century -- falsely.
Not this man-child.

Obama Mangles U.S., World History In Energy Speech | TPM2012

Obama Mangles U.S., World History In Energy Speech

Quote:
But while Obama thinks the GOP is in need of a science lesson, he may need to bone up on history himself.

“He was pretty technology-oriented for the time,” Card said. “Between the telephone, the telegraph, the phonograph and photography, I think he was pretty much on the cutting edge.”
Yeah, this guy is just so....smart.

Think the MSM will air this ridiculous gaffe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 AM

33,587 posts, read 18,188,329 times
Obama is a cut above the rest for being classless.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,562,339 times
Obama is just doing what he does best, spreading dis-information (lies) in a vain (in every sense of the word) attempt to make himself look good.

Another failure.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,461,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
My gosh, can this imbecile make his points without attacking someone, whether it be a business, an individual, his predecessor, or a dead president?
Ok, clearly Obama was wrong. But you could lighten up on the drama queen act a bit..jeez... he viciously SLURRED AND ATTACKED HIM!!! Lighten up.

He was trying to make an anecdotal point, and he got the facts wrong. It happens to many. It's not the first time this particular thing has happened to a President.

In fact, this same particular "slur" was uttered some time back... by none other than...wait for it...

Spoiler
Saint Ronald Reagan!

Quote:
Reagan did once made a similar observation, according to Feb. 23, 1985 report by UPI reporter Helen Thomas. In this case, Reagan poked fun at his age, clearly making a joke:

Reagan recalled that President Rutherford B. Hayes once was “shown a recently invented device.”
“That's an amazing invention,” he said. “But who would ever want to use one of them?” He was talking about a telephone. I thought at the time that he might be mistaken.”
Obama’s whopper about Rutherford B. Hayes and the telephone - The Washington Post

Say it ain't so... I guess to be fair we have to now chalk him up as a spiteful imbecile, too.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,195,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, this guy is just so....smart.

Think the MSM will air this ridiculous gaffe?
You sort of forgot to mention what Obama had quoted. 'It’s a great invention but who would ever want to use one?'"

Do you think that Hayes was correct in his assessment of the telephone? That seems to be what you're saying. That's not so...smart to use your words.

Why would the media focus on this instead of Afghanistan, rapes in Haiti, iPad 3 or other real stories.

Other than you're a partisan and your emotions tell you to whine about Obama everywhere you go, you really don't have a point here.

Good luck finding anyone who thinks that the telephone didn't really catch on.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 AM

700 posts, read 638,600 times
"My gosh, can this imbecile make his points without attacking someone..."

Just thought I'd quote this.

5 minutes on google archives brought this out and yet the right-wing blogs are all over this quote as if there was no precedence. Do those guys do any research?

Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

Quote:
On the age question, Reagan's never fails to bring down the house when he quips about his own longevity.

At a recent ceremony in which technology awards were given, Reagan recalled that President Rutherford B. Hayes once was "shown a recently invented device."

"'That's an amazing invention,'he said. 'But who would ever want to use one of them?' He was talking about a telephone. I thought at the time that he might be mistaken."

Last edited by 5trillion; 03-16-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,195,778 times
I bet the Right wingers are appalled and disgusted when a president is slurred and smeared! Keep up the good work...and pin a medal on yourself for innocence.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,353,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I bet the Right wingers are appalled and disgusted when a president is slurred and smeared! Keep up the good work...and pin a medal on yourself for innocence.
Not really. But as a Conservative and an American I find it appalling to have a man who is such an embarrassment in the White House.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,145,255 times
Santorum makes a horrific statement about JFK, but the OP was in hibernation when that happened. Do we detect the smell of contrived and phony indignation????

ObamaObamaObamaObamaObamaObamaObamaObamaObamaObama ObamaObamaObamaObamaObama

Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,125,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
well now you're smearing obama, so pat yourself on the back.

How utterly ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies