Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This thread is about handing out condoms to 12 year olds.
It's right in the OP link. They are more than just teaching facts; they are handing out condoms to 12 year olds at school.
The OP link actually said very little and the "could" in the headline was a giveaway so I had to go digging for more info.
Handing out condoms to 12 year olds is YOUR version of what this is about. The truth is a little different.

SEX ED HAS ALWAYS BEEN OPT OUT. I've over 50 and mine was opt out.

Student would need to come to a school nurse and actually have to talk to someone about getting "free condoms". They need to seek it out. It's not just a blind "welcome students, here is your free condom" situation. The age you are upset about is because it is youngest age of student who could be in the school. It harms nobody or trumps nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
How is having protected sex not being responsible?

You are kinda wearing me out. There are also ethical and moral responsibilities. Know those?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
You are kinda wearing me out. There are also ethical and moral responsibilities. Know those?
Your morality is not mine however

Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
No i'm not, but thanks for putting words in my mouth .
You kind of are. Saying that public health issues trumps any parental rights is implying that the state has the last word, whether the parents like it or not. Ergo, the state reigns supreme and it doesn't matter what the parents think.

Quote:
I think we're starting to go around in circles now

Quote:
Your morality is not mine however
And neither is yours mine. So, what do we do? We have an opt-in, that way your moral system is exposed to kids and parents that want it, and not to mine and vice versa. See?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Liberals don't think for themselves, remember.
Neither do most republicans i find

Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If we stop thinking about sex as something horrible and just tell kids the fact AS THEY ARE GROWING UP and not waiting for some "magical" time when we think they are ready this wouldn't be a problem at all. It the most natural and normal thing you can possibly teach them about.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Neither do most republicans i find
Well, you missed the difference... conservatives don't think for themselves either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You kind of are. Saying that public health issues trumps any parental rights is implying that the state has the last word, whether the parents like it or not. Ergo, the state reigns supreme and it doesn't matter what the parents think.
No because in pretty much every other issue a parents rights remain supreme. But no rights are absolute in any venue, and their are restrictions on them. Why should parental rights be any different?

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Actually yes they can apply for any of those programs once they have a child.
WOW..you are correct. You could be in elementary school, have a kid and apply for welfare. Although I guess your parents would need to help you because you don't know all the words on the application or their meaning..but WOW.

Teen Parents: Your Rights Under Welfare Reform - MassLegalHelp

I guess they have the work requirement waived.
But they are also supposed to seek child support. If the father is 12 and obviously can't work, do they go after the father's parents ?
And once they qualify for welfare they then can apply for food stamps and medicaid.

Who is Eligible for Welfare in the United States?

Just wow..imagine that. A 12 year old living at home getting welfare, food stamps, medicaid and then on the hook to read 2 chapters of "Hank the Cowdog" for their English class. That totally boggles my mind.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If we stop thinking about sex as something horrible and just tell kids the fact AS THEY ARE GROWING UP and not waiting for some "magical" time when we think they are ready this wouldn't be a problem at all. It the most natural and normal thing you can possibly teach them about.
Its not a problem with "conservative" idea of kids. Ostrich syndrome suffices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies