Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:10 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,303,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Jeezus, there's always pessimism with you guys. According the conservatives, the government cant really do anything at all to change the life of the average American. Where's the new ideas and optimism of Reagan?
You match our pessimism with your fatuousness. Obamacare is simply handing off the healthcare system to a dozen or so giant insurance companies to fattern up their stock ratings. That's about as right-wing as it gets -- and that's the best your guy can do? Where's the triangulation of Clinton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,426,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Hellooooo... it's been happening just that way through insurance company/ hospital reimbursement shenanigans for decades. Try to pay attention. This is why even fortune 500 companies have reduced bennies-- the insurance companies just keep getting greedier doubling premiums and halving the coverage. Everything you're trained like a seal to accuse the government of doing is everything these individuals in corporations are doing. Even the unions gave up collective bargaining with them and started their own insurance companies. Shouldn't this register as something seriously rotten in Denmark to any of you?
Insurance companies are reacting to the fact that people aren't paying attention to how much they're spending. They, too, have to do benefit cost analysis.

SS is an insurance and they don't just hand out money hand over fist because people feel they need it. They have to limit their insurance payouts and if SS wants to save itself it'll have to raise premiums and cut benefits.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,766,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It's only mandated if you choose to participate.

The problem is everyone wants the freedom to make bad choices and then have their neighbors pay the price. Millions of people make a conscious choice not to enroll in their company health plans because it's too expensive. When they break a leg skiing or suffer some other illness or injury they are treated anyway, regardless of their ability to pay. The system picks up the tab.

Maybe instead of insurance cards we could issue "non insurance" cards. The holders have made a conscious decision in the name of personal liberty and freedom not to benefit from those who choose to hold insurance. When the ambulance arrives at the scene of the car crash, the mangled guys with the non-insurance cards are left to fend for themselves. If they show up at the ER with chest pains or are diagnosed with cancer, the docs simply tell them to show them the money or hit the pavement. You know, liberty and all...
Makes perfect sense to me unless they're mentally incapacitated (in which case adults do have a moral obligation to make decisions for them) or unless those premiums really are out of reach for too many, which is the fact for decades now. There's something grievously wrong with a civilization that stands idly by as families go bankrupt trying to save their kids from illness. And when they do go bankrupt, guess who pays the premiums for those write offs??? You and me once again!

Had the law not given permission for LLC's to dodge accountability the rest of us would not find ourselves in the position of picking up their poop. Had the law not obliged hospitals to be poop deposit stations, private practice wouldn't be getting by cherry picking as much as they have. They ought to be socially shamed more for doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
My main talking point remains in effect and many of the people who I don't want to get the socialized medicine will be able to live the way they want and also get government support.
By your standard Americans should decide if white male Kansans are worthy of insurance. We should vote on that. Ungrateful old mothball guys smell bad and I'd rather not pay for their nonsense along with freakish lecherous old wh*remongers obstructing womens health care. I think it only fair they be banned from insurance and forced to pay for their stupidity through blood bank payments if necessary.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,274,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The reason for all the tests is all about money, plain and damn simple.
You are plain and simple ignorant.
No one makes money off the tests.
While they may increase the complexity of a visit, there is no direct compensation.
Most 'unnecessary' tests ordered around here (none of which I see a dime for) are for the lawyers and the complaint department.
Gotta keep up those customer satisfaction scores!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,440,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You match our pessimism with your fatuousness. Obamacare is simply handing off the healthcare system to a dozen or so giant insurance companies to fattern up their stock ratings. That's about as right-wing as it gets -- and that's the best your guy can do? Where's the triangulation of Clinton?
Yeah, and so what if it hands of insurance to private insurance companies. Thats how the German health care system works, thats how the Swiss health care system works.

You act as if the health insurance companies like Obamacare. They know it spells the end of for-profit insurance companies.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Expand Switzerland's population twenty times, and give it a 2000-mile border with Mexico. Then we'll talk.
Abdication again. The last time we effectively dealt with illegal immigration was Ike. How he went about it left much to be desired but having no security on our southern border since that era is OUR bad, not theirs. They were invited here and those who issued the invitation were the lobbyists profiting from their presence. You'd think with all that cheap labor available they'd construct the wall of china in a year. But that's not how it played out, did it?

Noting the pattern here yet or do still want to ignore what is plain in your face? If the insurance lobby, big pharma lobby, lobby lobby blah blah didn't actively corrupt the process forcing their 2 cents above the better interests of all others we would have had this solved in 1994. There are only so many scripts walmart is going to be able to offer for $4. The laws pharma wrote for themselves prohibit them from doing so.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Insurance companies are reacting to the fact that people aren't paying attention to how much they're spending. They, too, have to do benefit cost analysis.

SS is an insurance and they don't just hand out money hand over fist because people feel they need it. They have to limit their insurance payouts and if SS wants to save itself it'll have to raise premiums and cut benefits.
When that cost benefit analysis is antithetical to life itself, it needs an exit from civilization as any other sociopath would get. SS is an abstract organism requiring active mgmt and guardianship. Willful neglect & abuse of it by the very people charged with guarding it deserve the same exit from civilization any other sociopath would get. Things do not take care of themselves much as you've sold the world.

Way to skirt the real problems, though. At least you're consistent.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are plain and simple ignorant.
No one makes money off the tests.
While they may increase the complexity of a visit, there is no direct compensation.
Most 'unnecessary' tests ordered around here (none of which I see a dime for) are for the lawyers and the complaint department.
Gotta keep up those customer satisfaction scores!
There are incentives in other states to order those extra tests (in hospitals) as a means of paying for high end equipment. The lawyer clause you're talking about is standard fare across the states, however.

Since you're in the biz, I think you'd be interested in this subject...
J&J drug protocols cost taxpayers millions

And isn't this interesting-- a hospital suing a doctor for 8.2 mill...
Anesthesiologist Pays $8.2M for Praising Error-Prone Colleague

And another Physician in Louisiana was making more money suing big pharma forcing him into script writing/ fraudulent billing than he did in his everyday practice. I can't find the original article, but the harder I tried to search for it the more it appears the entire state is being assaulted by big pharma pushing people onto drugs.
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America - SourceWatch
What did congressman Billy Tauzin do for $4.6 million dollars? Sell out the medical profession in the state it would appear with all the articles of strife in his wake.

So, truly stan, if I were permitted to speak frankly to you as if you were my own personal physician-- we need to get to the roots of this ugly fairly if we're going to get this cured. I don't want anyone to get the short end of the stick but when some individuals in this equation have reserved for themselves a teflon don status, it is they who are the problem.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM

277 posts, read 626,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I agree with the part I bolded.

A lot of people can't take aspirin also. That doesn't mean nobody should use it.

a combination of both work for a lot of people.

Am I correct in the assumption you don't like medicine?
When did I ever say that nobody should use medications of any sort?
I said way too many people are using medications they woudn't need
if they took better care of themselves and ate better.

No, you are not correct assuming I don't like medicine, sometimes it is
needed.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,594,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Did you know Japan already has mandatory minimums for waistlines? All are measured once per year, and those who fail get 're-education.'
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/wo...pagewanted=all
What's so wonderful about defending your right to indulge in food and drink in order to make your belly stick out big? If the government would offer a tax incentive to get people to lose weight but not require it, it might do some good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies