Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Rev. Wright's home was not a 10 million dollar house. The 10 million is the line of credit the Church was able acquire backed by the value of the asset. Its only hypocritical if you believe that he hates rich white people, which he doesn't.
Where do you get the figure 10 million.. what a stretch...

A tour of Jeremiah Wrights new mansion - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Where do you get the figure 10 million.. what a stretch...

A tour of Jeremiah Wrights new mansion - YouTube
Anti-Middle Class Wright Builds $1.6M House | Sweetness & Light

But further investigation with tax and real estate attorneys showed that the church had actually secured a $1.6 million mortgage for the home purchase, and attached a $10 million line of credit, for reasons unspecified in the paperwork.

I don't know the details of Rev. Wright's retirement package from Trinity UCC. Since the management of the churches finances are controlled by the members of the church themselves the members would know.

The fact that Rev. Wright sold the land to the Church at a loss is an indication that nothing nefarious was occurring.

According to documents obtained from the Cook County Register of Deeds, Wright purchased two empty lots in Tinley Park, Ill., from Chicago restaurant chain owner Kenny Lewis for $345,000 in 2004.

Documents show Wright sold the property to his church, Trinity United, in December 2006, with the proceeds going to a living trust shared with his wife, Ramah.

The sale price for the land was just under $308,000, about $40,000 less than Wright’s original purchase two years earlier.

Why would the church want a 10 million dollar line of credit?

Because they have ambitious plans to bring various services to the community in which the church sits. They laid out short term and long term goals back in the late 70s and have been busily pursuing them ever since.

As Obama seeks re-election, president's former church seeks return to priorities - Chicago Tribune

This month, the church is rolling out its plans for Imani Village, a 27-acre community next door to Chicago State University. The property is now occupied by a charter school. Church members hope to build sustainable housing, an urban farming and agricultural center, retail stores, community health centers and an NCAA-certified sports complex.
"We've moved into a completely different mode of developing a sustainable green ministry, recognizing that green is the new area of social justice for our community," said Moss, Trinity's senior pastor, in an interview with the Tribune. "People would be able to raise their children in a unique and affirming, powerful environment. Send them to preschool, and send them to college next door."
Originally imagined more than 30 years ago by Moss' predecessor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., the ambitious mixed-use development has been part of the church's vision for decades, albeit to address specific concerns of the time. In 1979, church leaders wanted to fill the need for senior housing and better education for African-American youths.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Oh, I understand what you're saying and why we are discussing this. I only mentioned closing the thread because I've had numerous posts removed in other forums for going even slightly off topic.

It took a while, but I found this excerpt from Obama's book "The Audacity of Hope" Maybe this can help Taratova understand how a church can be dedicated to the Black community without being hateful toward White people.

I don't really like talking about Christianity in politics, because they should be separate subjects. But when we have someone like Santorum talking about Satan's attack on America, it's a subject we can't avoid. People are saying Romney isn't a real Christian either. None of this has to do with the economy, jobs, health care or world peace!
My personnel rejection of Romney and Santorum has nothing to do with their respective religions.

I thought Obama laid out the fine line between religion and politics pretty well in his 2006 Call to Renewal speech.

Sen. Barack Obama, Call to Renewal Keynote Address, Faith and Politics, Democrat, Christian - Beliefnet.com

What I do object to are attacks on individuals, like Rev. Wright, and their churches, like Trinity UCC, for political purposes, especially when it is done with blatantly false or misleading information.

If one chooses to follow Catholic doctrine and believes that liberation theology is false teachings. Then fine, but don't misrepresent it.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
My personnel rejection of Romney and Santorum has nothing to do with their respective religions.

I thought Obama laid out the fine line between religion and politics pretty well in his 2006 Call to Renewal speech.

Sen. Barack Obama, Call to Renewal Keynote Address, Faith and Politics, Democrat, Christian - Beliefnet.com

What I do object to are attacks on individuals, like Rev. Wright, and their churches, like Trinity UCC, for political purposes, especially when it is done with blatantly false or misleading information.

If one chooses to follow Catholic doctrine and believes that liberation theology is false teachings. Then fine, but don't misrepresent it.
Black Liberation Theology is not the message in the bible. The message of the bible is for all people not just black people. And their message is very political and is black power based.

I don't read anything in the bible about black power.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Of course, and that's exactly the way it should be. From Thomas Jefferson's 1777 Bill for Religious Freedom.

WE, the General Assembly of Virginia, do enact that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities.

I gave up a long time ago because, no matter how many times I point this out, there are too many people who insist our country was founded on Christianity and often refer to Bible passages as correlative to excerpts from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence. Yet Christ or Christianity or the Holy Bible aren't even mentioned once in the Constitution.

Getting back to Obama's ego, I wonder how many people who call him egotistical ever met him in person or even read one of his books? The last person I spoke to who claimed Obama had a big ego insisted the man can't speak without a teleprompter and wasn't born in this country. So maybe this is all a waste of time. OTOH, I keep thinking "if I can only reason with one person..." I'm not trying to change the any person's political views. I just want to have a discussion based on facts, not rumors spread by emails or blogs. Yet that seems to be the norm these days.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-19-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Black Liberation Theology is not the message in the bible. The message of the bible is for all people not just black people. And their message is very political and is black power based.

I don't read anything in the bible about black power.
True. But please tell where where there is a description of Jesus?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Of course, and that's exactly the way it should be. From Thomas Jefferson's 1777 Bill for Religious Freedom.

WE, the General Assembly of Virginia, do enact that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief;

I gave up a long time ago because, no matter how many times I point this out, there are too many people who insist our country was founded on Christianity and often refer to Bible passages as correlative to excerpts from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence. Yet Christ or Christianity or the Holy Bible aren't even mentioned once in the Constitution.

Getting back to Obama's ego, I wonder how many people who call him egotistical ever met him in person or even read one of his books? The last person I spoke to who claimed Obama had a big ego insisted the man can't speak without a teleprompter and wasn't born in this country. So maybe this is all a waste of time. OTOH, I keep thinking "if I can only reason with one person..." I'm not trying to change the any person's political views. I just want to have a discussion based on facts, not rumors spread by emails or blogs. Yet that seems to be the norm these days.

I don't think you understand what you just posted in blue.. the last part states:

but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities.

You just want God to go away..why? that is between you and God. but guess what he isn't going away.. he lives in his people even if they hold office.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM

639 posts, read 828,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Do you think it's even remotely possible for a person without a big ego to become the president of the United States????
lol

Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understand what you just posted in blue.. the last part states:

but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities.

You just want God to go away..why? that is between you and God. but guess what he isn't going away.. he lives in his people even if they hold office.

Nobody said one thing about getting rid of God. Where have I ever written that God does not exist or that I don't believe in prayer? I guess you are reading what I post in another language and the translation if wrong.

What Jefferson wrote.. that matters of religion shall not diminish or affect one's civil capacities.. is very clear to me. If you are Catholic and believe contraception is a sin, that's your right. But it's also your personal business. If you become a public official, you are not supposed to impose your personal beliefs on your constituents. To me what I quoted is very clear.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Speaking of ego - isn't it very egocentric for a person to say "I know Christianity" as if he/she is a personal messenger of God? To say "he's not a Christian" isn't very Christian. I edited one of my posts, since this thread isn't about me. However, I want to mention what I deleted. I have Christian friends who are deeply religious and encourage me to go to church. I've had to leave services because of all the hate I hear. How can someone praise God one minute and damn his brothers and sisters the next? It's like saying God created life, but only American life. It's like saying God loves children, but only White, heterosexual babies. Is the Bible written for only White, rich people or all people?

I wasn't around 2000 years ago, but if Jesus was born in Bethlehem and a Jew, then he probably was very dark. However, there is absolutely no mention of his appearance in the Bible and, yes, I've read all 66 books. The Bible never focuses attention on skin color. However, ancient history teaches us that there were many dark-skinned people living in that area of the world when Christ was born. So when Jesus asked people to follow him, was he only talking to a select few, like the White people who were on vacation?

Obama sounds very humble to me. His autobiographical books talk about his spiritual quests. What I'm seeing and hearing is that people have a difficult time separating arrogance and confidence. I wouldn't want a leader who isn't confident and speaks with conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies