Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:16 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that the thinking of the hyperconservatives here is the laissez faire philosophy that ruled in the latter half of the 19th century. Massive inequality, rapacious consumption of our resources, perennial saber rattling and war mongering, a view that American was divinely blessed and could steal what it wanted. White males ruled, others tread lightly and they knew their place. These were heady times when a few compiled untold wealth, and many worked for little or nothing.

It seems to me like most of the developed world has developed 20th century achievements like universal health care, environmental protections, public transportation systems that lower pollution, a strong middle class, a decline in the political influence of religion, a recognition that science should be supported and respected, and that politicians should be intelligent, highly educated people, not used care salesmen, a citizenry that embraces other culture and can speak several languages, etc. The most advanced, intelligent nations in the world have all moved in these directions, yet American conservatives seem as mired in their retrograde mindset as the hardline communists of China or N. Korea. Funny thing is, we lived through the 19th century and the 20th century was far better.

How are the American conservative demagogues (Beck, Limbaugh, Savage, Coulter, Palin, Hannity,etc.,etc.) the only group that "gets it" and all other countries and intellectual advances can be ignored? What is so great about a society of barons and serfs and uneducated masses listening to talking points by corporate schills? I liked the 20th century, and I'd like to move forward from there, not go back to a society that was unjust and unsustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Lol.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times

Michio Kaku: "If you are against world government you are a terrorist" - YouTube

lol...I'm sure the OP is also waiting for us to evolve into a Buck Rogers "Type I Civilization"

Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
I think you have it a--backwards! Politicians from both sides, are doing a good enough job at this. They are both the same, with a different book cover and different ending.
Instead of truly being for the will of the people, they are about themselves! one more then all others, can you guess who? not very hard, he is a legend in his own mind.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 AM

Well, the 19th Century kind of sucked. And we already did that. So, might as well think about how to build a better society, not just rant about how the good old days and good ol' white folk were better. And of course the corporate "citizens" with unlimited power know best. That seems like what 90% of the posts/threads here are, just outrageous accusations or anecdotes to stir the rage of the old farts. Seems like they really have nothing creative to add to civilization anymore except to juice up the world government paranoia, attack liberals, act holier than thou, and propose more tax cuts for the richest folks (as if they needed your help).

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 03-18-2012 at 12:56 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I think you have it a--backwards! Politicians from both sides, are doing a good enough job at this. They are both the same, with a different book cover and different ending.
Instead of truly being for the will of the people, they are about themselves! one more then all others, can you guess who? not very hard, he is a legend in his own mind.
Sorry you are suffering such harsh oppression and disillusionment down there by the sea in San Clemente....But for some reason, I am having a hard time feeling sorry for you.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, the 19th Century kind of sucked. And we already did that. So, might as well think about how to build a better society, not just rant about how the good old days and good ol' white folk were better. And of course the corporate "citizens" with unlimited power know best. That seems like what 90% of the post are, just outrageous accusations or anecdotes to stir the rage of the old farts. Seems like they really have nothing creative to add to civilization anymore except to juice up the world government paranoia, attack liberals, act holier than thou, and propose more tax cuts for the richest folks (as if they needed your help).
Getting back to reality....liberal politicians are as old and privileged as any of the conservative politicians they falsely claim to oppose. They're just the other side of the same coin.

Good ol' white guys? Seriously? You can't come up with anything better so you try to squeal about racism. It's a seriously tired and overused claim with little if anything in the way of accuracy to it's credit.

I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of your unhinged rant as it's as far divorced from reality as the portions I already commented on. You complain about the other side having nothing to add to civilization by starting a thread with nothing whatsoever to add to a tired argument that foolishly encourages further argument amongst the peons that serves little purpose other than attempting to distract them from the royal screwing they're receiving from the corrupt politicians that infest both parties. Your self constructed boogeyman of evil conservative is not the problem. Corrupt politicians that co-opt useful idiots to champion their abuses of power would be a much more appropriate target for your feigned outrage.

Keep swallowing the crap your masters are feeding you. I hope you enjoy the comfort and security of being part of the problem rather than someone looking for a solution.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Nobody wants to go back to the time when when white males ruled? I doubt that Palin does, as you imply, lol. It was those dead white males who planted the seeds of equality of opporunity for male, female, black and white--Jefferson, Washington, Madison etc.

As for externalities/pollution, that is a well-established cause for gov't intervention, according to conservative ideology. You won't find any intelligent conservatives supporting dumping toxic waste into the river transferring costs to the neighbors downriver.

THE CORPORATION [4/23] Externalities - YouTube

Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
What advanced this country..........oil. What are democrats trying to stop.........oil. There you have it.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:01 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
The overwhelming ignorance of some people....

People think that every white person in America has the inherent desire to rule over minorities in America.

They act as if every white person in America is old and near dead. There is no such thing as a fresh generation of white people.. And the ones that are recognized must have been from old, rich white folks that have perpetuated the slave owner mentality.

Yes, let's no go back in time where economic and monetary policy was more sound...and improve on it. Let's not simplify life for the betterment of everybody and give society the benefit of the doubt that they've learned from prior tragedies. No, let's throw the baby out with the bath water and invalidate ideals that, at their core, were great...because at one time groups were excluded from them..

I mean, we are too far removed from these ideals anyway....and it had nothing to do with black people or white people. But I digress..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies