Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
...I find it hilarious that someone gets their panties in a wad when they hear the phrase "f* you" but don't bat a eye when the phrase "god bless" is said....
Seems clear to me. FU is hostile, the GB, however, supestitious, is at least well intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Seems clear to me. FU is hostile, the GB, however, supestitious, is at least well intended.
F* you could also be nothing more than a negative response.

gb to some could be considered an offensive religious response.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
When do we as the reading, listening, watching public say no to derogatory language used by public persona? Or do we care? Everyone reading this knows what dirty words are, and has formed an opinion as to when it is appropriate to use. So here is a question:

Is it okay to call your daughter, mother, sister, or niece, a "ho", sl**, c**t, or other ugly descriptive words in public? If your family is not fair game who is? Perhaps Paris, Whoopi, Sarah, Hillary or a student over the age of 18? Who can do the name calling? Is it okay for your son, dad, brother or uncle, or maybe your minister to use derogatory words toward all females?

I personally don't think so, but here is the deal. Don Imus, Rush Limbaugh and Bill Mahr are all guilty. Don Imus called female college students who'd just won a national championship, "Nappy headed ho's". Limbaugh is in a firestorm for calling a student who testified before Congress "A sl**." Bill Mahr took aim at Palin and called her "A c**t."

What's the difference? Is it the word, the speaker, or the circumstance? Don and Rush are hosts on public radio who took aim at defenseless female students. Bill Mahr is not a radio host. He is a comedian on HBO - a subscription cable show.

If you want to listen to Bill Mahr curse then you pay for the privilege. If you want to hear Rush curse turn on your radio. Ditto for Imus.

"What happened to personal responsibility and accountability?" Ask Rush; he said it.

When do we just say No?

Don Imus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rush Limbaugh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bill Maher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First, I don't like Rush and I don't know who Imus is...

But I have question about the separation of private (available for public viewing) and private (subscription-based viewing)... why are there two standards when it comes to derogatory language... one is okay and the other is not even though their intentions are the same? To offend... I mean you say the other is okay because it is subscription-based but isn't turning on to hear Rush talk, isn't that similar to privacy afforded by subscription-based viewing? I just think its odd to say "No" to both private companies when the only difference is the other one requires payment upfront first...

Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
F* you could also be nothing more than a negative response.

gb to some could be considered an offensive religious response.
Maybe to those who spend their free time grinding " In God We Trust " off of all their nickels and trying to get "under God" removed from the pledge, but I think the majority of us have enough common sense and enough of a life to know it is/was well intended and not get all worked up over something so trivial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies