Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM

58,714 posts, read 26,982,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Ok, sounds good to me. Now tell us what your ideas are...yeah, we know about the ID thing. I mean the rest of it...or did you think that every form of voter and election fraud is going to be stopped with a voter ID law?
If, if, if. We have all sorts of laws. We also have criminals, who do not obey those laws. That is why we have police departments. What is your point?

If everybody obeyed every law we wouldn't need the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Name one state that has passed or attempted to pass the voter ID laws providing free ID's,
Nice try at trying to move the goal post.

YOU are the one that claimed that Photo ID costs $$$.

The fact that issuing FREE photo ID cards is NOT the reason the DOJ is challenging the laws.

Like I stated, one has nothing to do with the other.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,940,545 times
I don't understand the issue here?
If you want to get rid of the real fraud in our election process, then start at the top with the ones buying politicians for us to pick from.

Get money out of politics via separation of corporation and state.
Campaign Finance Reform
One Dollar, One Vote.
End to Lobbying.

All this does is give the government more power over us.

No Thanks

Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,902,388 times
Bob Herbert wrote this in 2004:
Voting While Black

Old 03-18-2012, 05:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,398,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There is NO reason for anyone NOT TO HAVE ID....and you have to show ID to rent a hotel room, book an airline ticket, write a check....almost everything.

I agree we must make sure that a person votes only once, if they choose to. By not having some sort of voter ID, we are leaving ourselves open to ANYONE voting in your name (or someone else's)...and that's NOT how our voting system works.

So, I agree wholeheartedly!
It doesn't matter what else you need ID for. People should not be charged money to vote. If the states have to give out all these free BCs (to get the "free" ID) how much is this going to cost them? There is no data that there is a major fraud problem with people voting in person.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,366,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I would like proof of that. How have these blacks been functioning in this country for 60-70 years without a birth certificate? I'm not buying it. Anyway, if you can't prove you are a U.S. citizen then your constitutional rights will not have been denied when you aren't allowed to vote. It all comes down to proof of citzenship to gain the constitutional right to vote.
New Requirement for Birth Certificates or Passports Could Threaten Medicaid Coverage for Vulnerable Beneficiaries — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

It says it right there 1/5 African Americans born between 1939 and 1940 do not have birth certificates.

These people have been denied their constitutional rights for much of their lives it is categorically wrong to deny someone their rights because the state they were born in happened to be extrodinarily racist at the time they were born. Besides they may have socials and other documents that can prove citizenship. I cannot believe how caviler you people are about denying people their constitutional rights. Particularly since those same people were already subject to some of the worst discrimination 20th century America had to offer.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,285,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
New Requirement for Birth Certificates or Passports Could Threaten Medicaid Coverage for Vulnerable Beneficiaries — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

It says it right there 1/5 African Americans born between 1939 and 1940 do not have birth certificates.

These people have been denied their constitutional rights for much of their lives it is categorically wrong to deny someone their rights because the state they were born in happened to be extrodinarily racist at the time they were born. Besides they may have socials and other documents that can prove citizenship. I cannot believe how caviler you people are about denying people their constitutional rights. Particularly since those same people were already subject to some of the worst discrimination 20th century America had to offer.
If they have other documents that prove their citizenship then what is the problem? I have all the respect in the world for the plight of our black Americans and the discrimination they suffered in the past. That has nothing to do with it. You can either prove you are a citizen or you can't. Are we suppose to guess who is and who isn't or just take one's word that they are?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,366,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If they have other documents that prove their citizenship then what is the problem? I have all the respect in the world for the plight of our black Americans and the discrimination they suffered in the past. That has nothing to do with it. You can either prove you are a citizen or you can't. Are we suppose to guess who is and who isn't or just take one's word that they are?
We you specifically said birth certificate. None of those people would be able to vote under your rule.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Actually one has nothing to do with the other.

The claim was it was going to cost.

Right off the top of my head I know of SC, Rhode Island, Georgia and Tenn. I am sure YOU are capable of doing your own research to find others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It doesn't matter what else you need ID for. People should not be charged money to vote. If the states have to give out all these free BCs (to get the "free" ID) how much is this going to cost them? There is no data that there is a major fraud problem with people voting in person.

It depends on what is considered "major".

Do a search on voter fraud. I'd bet there is a whole lot more there then you realized.

Also, keep in mind false registration is considered voter fraud.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,398,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It depends on what is considered "major".

Do a search on voter fraud. I'd bet there is a whole lot more there then you realized.

Also, keep in mind false registration is considered voter fraud.

There have been several, if not a dozen, threads here on CD about voter ID laws in the past few days, many with links about how little voter fraud there actually is.

This thread is not about false registration. These voter ID laws would not address that, either.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies