Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Can you provide some examples?

If I recall from the Zakaria, Taiwan has single payer at 7% of GDP, and Switzerland has an individual mandate system at ~12% of GDP. Both are pretty similar to us politically. My recollection is that ObamaCare is pretty similar to the proposal put forward by the GOP in the 1990s. Why the outrage?

I agree with those who say skin in the game is important. I think you need to feel some of the pain.
And neither of those countries comes close to the size of the US. What works well on a small scale doesn't necessarily translate well on a large scale. I don't recall any republican plan espousing the virtues of huge medicaid expansions at the state level. Perhaps you can give us some bullet point comparisons. Regardless, no GOP proposal passed in the 1990's, so it obviously did not have much support.

If you're really interested in learning about ways to lower costs, John Mackey (Whole Foods CEO) had some excellent suggestions. John Mackey: The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yeah right. "They're having a sale on stents at St. Mary's."

Medical care is complicated and we can't expect lay-persons to participate in technical medical matters that may cut costs. An untrained person has no good way to evaluate whether one needs a particular test or procedure or not.

We really don't have to bang our heads against the wall nor re-invent the wheel. Our friends in Europe have already found ways to reduce the costs to half of ours, while delivering better medical results and covering all their citizens.
This "medical costs are complicated" excuse is BS. LOTS of things are complicated. Cars are complicated. Computers are complicated. Auto insurance is complicated Yet, there are reasonably free and competitive markets for these goods/services.

Health care has gotten complicated because the providers have not had to really look at which procedues/drugs really offer a true benefit and which ones don't because consumers don't really ask the hard questions. The reason they don't ask is because it's all "covered" by insurance (or at least it was until recently).

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-18-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Youcetainly do put it on the taxpayer credit card for sure. That isn;t healthy.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:24 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Can you provide some examples?

If I recall from the Zakaria, Taiwan has single payer at 7% of GDP, and Switzerland has an individual mandate system at ~12% of GDP. Both are pretty similar to us politically. My recollection is that ObamaCare is pretty similar to the proposal put forward by the GOP in the 1990s. Why the outrage?

I agree with those who say skin in the game is important. I think you need to feel some of the pain.
Absolutely. In fact, although they now deny it, the conservative Heritage Foundation modeled both Romney's health care plan and that model is the ACA. The conservative Heritage Foundation indignantly denies influencing Obamacare. - Slate Magazine
How the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative Think Tank, Promoted the Individual Mandate - Forbes

The individual mandate was the GOP alternative to Bill Clinton's plan in 1993:
The Tortuous History of Conservatives and the Individual Mandate - Forbes

Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
And neither of those countries comes close to the size of the US. What works well on a small scale doesn't necessarily translate well on a large scale. I don't recall any republican plan espousing the virtues of huge medicaid expansions at the state level. Perhaps you can give us some bullet point comparisons. Regardless, no GOP proposal passed in the 1990's, so it obviously did not have much support.

If you're really interested in learning about ways to lower costs, John Mackey (Whole Foods CEO) had some excellent suggestions. John Mackey: The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare - WSJ.com
The link is exccellent. One important thing mentioned in your link that I alluded to in my long winded post was this:

Unfortunately many of our health-care problems are self-inflicted: two-thirds of Americans are now overweight and one-third are obese. Most of the diseases that kill us and account for about 70% of all health-care spending—heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes and obesity—are mostly preventable through proper diet, exercise, not smoking, minimal alcohol consumption and other healthy lifestyle choices.

Recent scientific and medical evidence shows that a diet consisting of foods that are plant-based, nutrient dense and low-fat will help prevent and often reverse most degenerative diseases that kill us and are expensive to treat. We should be able to live largely disease-free lives until we are well into our 90s and even past 100 years of age.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obamacare is not about cost; it's about coverage.
You can't talk about health care if you don't talk about cost. We will go bankrupt if we just try to cover everyone 100% without addressing the reasons why costs are so high in the first place.

As has already been mentioned, about 70% of our health care costs are driven by unhealthy lifestyle choices.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yeah right. "They're having a sale on stents at St. Mary's."

Medical care is complicated and we can't expect lay-persons to participate in technical medical matters that may cut costs. An untrained person has no good way to evaluate whether one needs a particular test or procedure or not.

We really don't have to bang our heads against the wall nor re-invent the wheel. Our friends in Europe have already found ways to reduce the costs to half of ours, while delivering better medical results and covering all their citizens.

That's why we used to have family doctors.

They knew you and your medical history.

They consulted with you and made recommendations on your behalf.

Our insured friends in Europe die from cancers uninsured Americans survive.

That's a fact.

The way a bureaucracy controls costs is through blanket rationing.

No thanks.

I went through the public school system.

You can't tell me the same government will do a better job when they control medicine.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post

And keep in mind, what Hilarycare proposed in large part gave us the 1994 Republican Revolution.

The answer wasn't just no, it was hell no!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You can't talk about health care if you don't talk about cost. We will go bankrupt if we just try to cover everyone 100% without addressing the reasons why costs are so high in the first place.

As has already been mentioned, about 70% of our health care costs are driven by unhealthy lifestyle choices.
Lets talk about admin costs. We know that admin accounts for 25% of our health care costs. Lets look at a couple of examples ....

a) every insurance provider negotiates its own rate with the health care provider and may even have multiple rates depending on the status of the insured. This causes a huge amount of administrative overhead. Why not rationalize the cost structure to take overhead out of the system.

b) How many bills do patients get for a fairly straightforward procedure? Start by centralizing billing so that the patient gets one comprehensive invoice instead of a bunch of different ones.

We don't need a health care revolution to start taking cost out of the system. But we do need to be open to change.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Lets talk about admin costs. We know that admin accounts for 25% of our health care costs. Lets look at a couple of examples ....

a) every insurance provider negotiates its own rate with the health care provider and may even have multiple rates depending on the status of the insured. This causes a huge amount of administrative overhead. Why not rationalize the cost structure to take overhead out of the system.

b) How many bills do patients get for a fairly straightforward procedure? Start by centralizing billing so that the patient gets one comprehensive invoice instead of a bunch of different ones.

We don't need a health care revolution to start taking cost out of the system. But we do need to be open to change.
Admin costs would be reduced if people paid out of pocket for their own health care, especially for the routine stuff.

I also don't have much faith that the government will do anything to reduce administrative costs. They could do that right now with Medicare/Medicaid. Do these programs have lower administrative costs than private health insurance?

And we still haven't even gotten to the root cause of our health care cost problem.....70% of our health care costs are driven by unhealthy lifestyle choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies