Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 01:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
It was tardiness. Other than that he appears to have been a model student. Good in math and wanted to be an engineer. Helped out with coaching little league.

One source says tardiness....another says he was in an "unauthorized area"...

One says 10 days, which tardiness is not considered. Another says 5...

Which one is it???

Zimmermans neighbors also have nothing but glowing accounts of him...says he was a model neighbor....

Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Were any of these burglaries committed during a short time span? Could've possibly been a spree and the same criminals took advantage. That has been known to happen.
Color me kooky but...
When they're the same criminals-- haven't security camera's done a better job of nabbing the weasels than individuals playing Rambo on the street?

Defending trinkets trumps defending life!? What is wrong with these idiots???

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I understand that the Black community has a high tolerance for crime but in normal communities this would be 17 too many.
Most normal communities of this size have at least that many "thefts" and "burglaries" or more.

You do realize that theft and burglary do not equate "break-ins" right. If you find your wallet missing and call the police to report it (which most of the time you must do if you lose credit cards) then that is registered as a "theft." For your high IQ (and just to brag I bet mine is higher ) you sure don't know much about crime statistics and what each category means. Even "burglary" is not always considered a "break in." If you have a party/get-together with friends and something comes up missing it is a "burglary."

Also, you do know that more thefts occur at sporting events and large destination places like amusement parks than anywhere else right??? So evidently everyone has a high tolerance for theft. People who visit the city I live in would be surprised to know that the highest level of theft, larceny, and burglary in the city are in the downtown area, which is the case in most major cities and even minor cities with tourist areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
LOL @ 17 break ins over a year being considered "trivial"....

That's hilarious.....

Again, it was not "area" it was in his COMPLEX
See above, theft and burglary are not necessarily "break-ins." And for a complex of that size that is probably average in a decent neighborhood.

Quote:
She said 17 robberies and a shooting are no big deal. I mean this is a prime example of why crime is allowed to take root in the black community.
They are not a big deal. I'm sure you have had more thefts, larceny, and burglary in your own neighborhood than this apartment complex has had. Also like I said, a shooting is not necessarily a killing of someone or even shooting at someone. I visit relatives in rural areas quite often. My relatives like to shoot guns for target practice, like many people do. If someone hears the shots and calls authorities it is listed as a "shooting."

You should quit putting race on things and live in reality. All of the great neighborhoods here in my city have more thefts, larcenies, and burglaries in a year than this complex.

Also, you all have failed to mention that the one "shooting" could actually have been that of Trayvon, one not perpetuated by a suspicious black male.

Quote:
Remember this was a gated community.
What has that got to do with anything. In your article it stated that people were allowed to go in and out all the time. Gate communities are suppose to lock out bad elements but that is not true most of the time.

FWIW I work in housing and specifically apartment property management. All of our communities are gated. All of our communities, except 1 has an equal amount of units as the one where Trayvon was killed and all of ours have an equal amount of theft, burglary, larceny, and even shootings because if one of our resident hears a shot or what they think is a shot from outside the community and calls the police, it is listed as a shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It's bad....for a complex of 240 units? If I heard there was a break in roughly every 2 1/2 weeks... I'd be looking out too.

There hasn't been a single break-in in my complex since I been here (13 months).
Like I said above. Break-ins are not theft, they are not even associated with stealing from inside of the unit/apartment/townhouse, so right there you can cut off half of that statistic and that leaves you with....I'll even give you 9 for an increase that MAY have included a break-in but more than likely half of those weren't break ins either.

Also how do you know about any of the theft, larceny, burglary statistics at your community? I highly doubt no one has lost a wallet/purse or debit/credit card in 13 months of you living there and they reporting it to the police. These sorts of crimes usually aren't told to residents unless there is a substantial increase in burglaries specifically, which includes breaking and entering. They don't want to broadcast crime as it may deter housing applicants.

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Trayvon Martin would be alive today had he been armed.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
It was tardiness. Other than that he appears to have been a model student. Good in math and wanted to be an engineer. Helped out with coaching little league.
It's shameful how they are criminalizing Trayvon. Just shameful. Now folks are latching onto a school suspension to somehow find fault?? Truly despicable. I can only hope that the people saying these things aren't parents.

Folks are so focused on being right, that they are going about it in all the wrong ways. They are forgetting that there is an innocent young man involved. Trayvon didn't deserve to die this way. His life was just as precious as any one of our own children:

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My community population: 13,055
robberies in 2010: 7
Burglaries: 187

Now, do I live in a high-crime area?
That doesn't tell you where the concentration of burglaries are....

let's say you have a population of 13,000 split evenly into 13 communities....

out of 187 burglaries 105 of them are within 5 of those communities....

Starting to get the picture...??

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The DA must assume the person is innocent until proven guilty. Sounds silly right. We all thought that was basic American. Nope. We need a law that says that. Please work within your state to adopt legislation similair to Florida so that if tragedy should strike you and you have to defend your life or the lives of your family you will at least be assumed innocent until proven guilty.
Actually I agree we should presume the man is innocent and he deserves a fair trial, but it is the police who did not do their job. The reason the Feds are getting involved is that the teenager's family couldn't get anywhere when they contacted the Sanford police. They weren't allowed to listen to the 911 tapes. Neighbors came forward who said they were witnesses but the police wouldn't take their statements or even call them back. One witness said a cop on the scene corrected her when she said she heard the victim crying out for help. He said, "No, that's not what you heard. It was Mr. Zimmerman." The worst isn't even known yet. They took his body to the morgue and tested the victim for drugs and alcohol (negative) but took Zimmerman at his word that he was on drugs and acting suspiciously. They knew he was on a cell phone call seconds before he was shot, but they didn't bother to check to whom it was placed or call his family. It was as if he was just another dead Black teenager, a piece of trash to them.

Seriously, I am far from a bleeding heart liberal and hate it anytime the race card is played. However, this police force is either extremely inept and can't follow standard police procedures like testing the gun, taking photos of the shooter, checking the shooter for alcohol or drugs, checking the criminal record of the shooter, reviewing the 911 tapes, etc., or there is something else going on here. I probably have written more posts about this subject in the past few days than I have in the 5 years I've been on City-Data. It's just very disturbing to me that people actually think anyone is justified in shooting an unarmed teenager who was simply taking a walk.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:44 PM

• BREAK-IN (noun)
The noun BREAK-IN has 1 sense:

1. trespassing for an unlawful purpose; illegal entrance into premises with criminal intent

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's shameful how they are criminalizing Trayvon. Just shameful. Now folks are latching onto a school suspension to somehow find fault?? Truly despicable. I can only hope that the people saying these things aren't parents.

Folks are so focused on being right, that they are going about it in all the wrong ways. They are forgetting that there is an innocent young man involved. Trayvon didn't deserve to die this way. His life was just as precious as any one of our own children:
Apparently I need to spread around reputation before I can rep you again!

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Low on facts here come the personal attacks. Self-hate?

I maybe Black but I don't belong to your ethnic or dysfunctional cultural group (I'm not understanding why Africn Americans are confused by this notion?)

I've long ago distanced myself from an African-American identification and embraced a Ghanaian American identity. I want to be associated with achievers not losers who live in the wealthiest country on the planet but whine about everything.
You are pretty pathetic to come to this country after the hardest part of the struggle is over and reap the rewards that blacks have worked so hard for. You beg to come here to be an American and then turn your proverty stricken country azz up at the decendants that help make this country what it is. I would rather sit down and have a beer with ten neo-nazis and the grand dragon of the kkk rather than have to stand and look at your pitiful azz! Why? Because at least they are a known enemy and don't hide what they are, but you are someone that would see a young black child get murdered and turn your head and than talk about "how they proably deserved it". I have news for you come down to parts of the deep south and try to explain to some of these "good ole boys" that you are not a african american and lets see how they will treat you!

What I have noticed on this forum is that even the most hardcore racist will give some credit to other enthicities for whatever reason and address really what they don't know or fear due to their upbringing. I have never known anyone that habours so much disdain for a group of people that he/she does not realize that looks like themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies