Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I wonder how many older, conservative white people like me are equally outraged over this crime and the poor job the police dept did. And yet, are hesitant to jump to the conculsion that this is a hate crime.

Zimmerman belongs behind bars (awaiting trial of course) and the entire Sanford PD should face consequences, but I still don't see this as clear-cut proof of a racist element.
I'm black and neither do I, so far as saying that Zimmerman was a racist. I do believe that Trayvon was racially profiled and honesty I can't fault him for that reaction.

BUT, it gets sticky when Zimmerman takes it upon himself to make a citizen's arrest. And it gets downright dirty when you consider the police's reactions which could very well have compromised evidence so much that Zimmerman will go free.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
One other question, police officers are training to shot to injure and not kill if possible.... If he felt that he had to shoot him why not in the leg? He was close enough, and I'm pretty sure that at 100lbs he would have stopped doing whatever he (supposely)doing until the police arrived.
Do you know that police officers are trained to only injure? If so - please cite your source.

As for Zimmerman - he would have to be rather welled trained and very proficient with a firearm to shoot Trayvon in the leg deliberately.That type of accuracy does not come easily.

Usually - firearms instructors will teach their students to only point their weapon at something they intend to shoot at, and if that something is a living being - your intent should be to kill.

Shooting in the leg to maim is for the movies - in real life, if you are not willing to kill someone - then you have no business having the weapon pointed in their direction with the safety off in the first place.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Geraldo has the answer!

Blame the hoodie!

Trayvon Martin’s hoodie “is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin’s death as George Zimmerman [Martin's shooter] was.”

Read more: Geraldo Rivera Opens Hoodie, Inserts Foot in Mouth | Entertainment | TIME.com

Bill Bellichick, watch yourself the next time you play a team in Florida you could wind up dead and it would be your own fault!
I'll watch the clip later but if you dress like a thug don't be surprised to be mistaken for one.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Nope, because they will too busy trying to blend in so that their green cards don't get snatched
Chances are, they don't have green cards..............

Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I live in PG County, the wealthiest majority African American county in the country. It boasts the 2nd worst crime rate in the state of Maryland and arguably the worst school system in the state. I'm sure you've heard of it.
Yes, but you criticized that area for being crime ridden. Surely you've taken a stand and won't allow this in your neighborhood! Right?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
I was born here. It's not my fault these descendents refuse to get on board, better themselves and raise their families to be non-criminals.

You're right Africa is a much poorer place than America. You're also right most Africans would kill for the opportunity that most Americans have including Black Americans.

Which begs the question why are African Americans perpetually whining? What's so hard about going to school, getting a job and raising a civilized family?
Talk to me about Amadou Diallo. Many Africans protested (something that you would call whining by black Americans) and made a loud stink about his death. His family, like Trayvon's was devastated. But I guess he should have expected that since black people are criminals huh? And just think, he was actually an African from Africa, unlike you so should be immune to being killed on the street for no reason.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The problem is that you and a few other don't have basic word definition skills...

Lynching is the illegal execution of an accused person by a mob.

People are calling for an arrest which in turn will lead to a real investigation and if need be, a trial by jury. See how simple that is??? Words matter, learn their defintions before you throw them around or risk sounding ignorant/stupid.

I even capitalized the word "relatively" and you still posted up this mega fail.....

Old 03-23-2012, 02:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm black and neither do I, so far as saying that Zimmerman was a racist. I do believe that Trayvon was racially profiled and honesty I can't fault him for that reaction.

BUT, it gets sticky when Zimmerman takes it upon himself to make a citizen's arrest. And it gets downright dirty when you consider the police's reactions which could very well have compromised evidence so much that Zimmerman will go free.
Well this is essentially what I've been saying all this time. Although Zimmerman did not try and make a citizen arrest he was simply following him.

The police could have done a better job in hindsight, I'll concede that point as well. Trayvon didn't need to be killed, I sincerely wish he wasn't. He seemed to be a good kid with a future.

My point remains that it's the Black community needs to take responsibility for the excess crime it produces. Yelling and screaming in the streets and not addressing this will just cause another nice kid to be slain by a person profiling him.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Coming from a people who should know a little something about lynching parties.
Wow...this statement is pretty outrageous. Shows a complete lack of humanity for the African Americans who fought and died for the freedoms you are allowed today.

You seem to have a lot of animosity towards AAs. I'm almost convinced that your absentee father is AA and you are misdirecting your anger. Or else you were shot down by an AA female and are now mad at the (AA) world.

Last edited by ChocLot; 03-23-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 02:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yes, but you criticized that area for being crime ridden. Surely you've taken a stand and won't allow this in your neighborhood! Right?

I was thinking the same thing. You should be your neighborhood's Zimmerman, since like him you are obsessed with the idea of the criminality of black men. Don't forget to call the police on yourself every once in a while and don't get upset if you call and they question you about your own identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies