Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Wrong. On both counts.

Heaping blame on others is no answer.

Blame what happened on circumstances of the moment. Neither was right. They both did things wrong.

We can't change what happened between them that night.

What is so very wrong is the mishandling of the case by authorities. That is what we can and must change. It is also wrong for retaliation to be called for.
Justice is not retaliation. By the time the police mishandled the case, it was too late for Trayvon. Asking that Zimmerman be held accountable for his actions is not "heaping blame." When George Zimmerman stepped out of his truck after having been advised not to, he took the law into his own hands. That is not how "freedom" works. That is not how our Founding Fathers envisioned this country. As an American, Trayvon's father had every right to feel comfortable letting his son make a quick run to a convenience store, without having to identify his body three days later.
Silence in the face of injustice is tacit approval.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Sadly, I agree. What a sad day that will be. It's really hard to figure out the good that can come out of this situation. An overhaul of the Sanford PD just doesn't cut it. That victory will be very hollow indeed.
He definitely won't be charged with a hate crime so the DOJ can pack up and go home. He still could be indicted by the grand jury although I suspect he won't be convicted. The case is weak with or without forensic evidence.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:15 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes I heard Geraldo's show this morning and one guy totally lost his marbles asking him if MLK, and other black people in the past who died by racist gunmen were wearing a hoody.

The hoody is not relevant at all, Geraldo is a crap stirrer.
LOL I didn't hear that part, I caught the tail end of the show. I enjoyed the dicussion though. And being honest with myself as well as black....depending on the environment; young black males wearing baggy jeans, boots and hoodies (attire associated with drug dealers/thugs etc) does make me more cautious around them.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
When did Zimmerman start to fear for his life? When he made the call to 911? When the 911 dispatcher tell him to stop following the teen? When he got out of his car? When he walked towards the young teen? When he had the teen down on the ground and was on top of him? Or after he pulled the trigger to kill him? When did this fear for his life come about? Maybe a jury would be able to determine if this is murder or if Zimmerman is innocent and within his rights.
There is no record of the bolded part ever happening do you have info the rest of us don't?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Folks are profiled for a reason. Humans are conditioned and evolved to plan for the worst hope for the best. Even Jessie Jackson is on record being leery of young black males. I think it is very unreasonable to condemn people for having a justifiable fear of young black males who dress and look like they came out of a hip hop video. Are all people who dress like that thugs of course not. Standard apparel for me on Spring and Fall weekends is a hoodie I even have a favorite one my girl gets on me for wearing too much.
I have never been intimidated by the way someone dresses. Ever.

I never cross the street, clutch my purse in an elevator... for what?

You send more signals of being afraid and intimidated when you profile people because of the way they are dressed.

Spoiler
Quote:
I am however, leery of ninjas.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I agree. Great points:

Young black men are "dehumanized into some form of other, unworthy of respect".

Those who fought against inequality "refused to let their silence endorse the evil around them."

I think she nailed it, too.
Respect is earned not given, black men have done little to earn respect. They abandoned their women and children, are under educated and engaged in criminality at far greater rates than the national average.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
That's just dumb.

It's about profiling. Wearing certain clothing will lead to profiling. Blacks, whites and Hispanics all can't do and say the same things.

That's not fair, I know but that's life. Black men, especially younger black boy that wear hoodies, sagging pants and fitted baseball hats are going to get profiled.

Blacks as a whole have serious image problems. The only way to stop those issues is to solve them.

Just realize, if you dress in a style that is similar to people that are societies outcasts, expect to be treated like one.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's reality. Black men from the streets dress in hoodies, so expect to be profiled, even if you're a Harvard MBA.
Except if you're a Harvard MBA in a hoodie, all doubt is removed the second you open your mouth.

Don't confuse what you see on TV of young inner-city Black America with Black America as a whole. Prejudices and preconceptions have nothing to do with reality.

And since when is rocking a hoodie akin to flying a flag of social anarchy? Rich white kids in my neighborhoods wear hoodies all the time and I don't live in the inner city. It's when you put the black guy in the hoodie it becomes an issue. White kids are just 'skaters' or 'boarders' if they're in a hoodie right?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
In coming to a conclusion before a trial has even started you are as guilty of what you accuse Zimmerman of being: A vigilante.
The case is far from over and the Stand Your Ground law can only be legitimately criticized IF Zimmerman cites it in his defense (which is likely) AND is acquitted because of it (which is very unlikely.)
Between patriot act and Florida legislation we don't have due process anymore. Your willful ignorance is threatening me too. Off with his head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
What amazes me is how many of the posters here are so anxious to take away due process and basically form a lynching party.
Blame Trayvon for the Jim Crow legislators & rotten cops/ Mayor/ County Exec/ Governor sitting on their hands setting up the situation for the entire community and beyond?? Sick sick sick. Throw rotten eggs at the Enron janitor when he gets fired for what the CEO did too! You're seriously warped in the head.

Quote:
Were any of these burglaries committed during a short time span? Could've possibly been a spree and the same criminals took advantage. That has been known to happen.
Statistically the scofflaw dregs in poverty (mentally ill, addicts) prey on poor and middle class. Those statistics are born out because they're the ones who are caught and/ or convicted because they're that stupid. Then there are the other statistics of slum lords supplementing their income and confidence men moving into a neighborhood and fleecing them blind. Normal people don't think this way so they don't see it coming.
But... remember, he, harrier, and rimmerama are doing their damndest to rob this kid of his humanity by changing the subject to blithering nothingness. Lead people intellectually down a dead end road and get by on murder. You know, like how Palin & Bush baffle people with BS as 3rd party narrative right hand incites a riot elsewhere. Wag that dog all over the place.
And still they harp on money, possessions, and what's mine is mine. Avaricious self absorbed people are a threat to our security & our children. Why shouldn't we shoot them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
And another thing!

It was raining right? So the kid was behaving suspiciously? He wasn't heading directly back home to where it was nice and dry to enjoy his iced tea and Skittles? I just have a hard time believing this kid was meandering around in the rain, looking in windows of houses.

In short, I think Zimmerman is full of it.
I'd meander if I were his age knowing someone bigger & creepy was following me. I'd likely start knocking on random strangers doors looking for safe haven. Girls would do that but boys would be more reluctant because they're expected to be tough guys. Far more plausible to me that he (as a normal kid) was too inexperienced to know how to cope with a stalker. Happens to white girls 15-20 something's every day of the week somewhere in America.

Quote:
I live in PG County, the wealthiest majority African American county in the country. It boasts the 2nd worst crime rate in the state of Maryland and arguably the worst school system in the state. I'm sure you've heard of it.
And you don't make the connection that your money being more important than your damned kids MIGHT be the problem in YOUR OWN mirroryou're blaming ALL OTHERS FOR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Geraldo has the answer!

Blame the hoodie!

Trayvon Martin’s hoodie “is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin’s death as George Zimmerman [Martin's shooter] was.”

Read more: Geraldo Rivera Opens Hoodie, Inserts Foot in Mouth | Entertainment | TIME.com

Bill Bellichick, watch yourself the next time you play a team in Florida you could wind up dead and it would be your own fault!
Male Burqua's aren't OK with you? The hoodie made me do it, the liberal made me do it, the woman made me rape her... males disconnected from reality using the population for target practice ought to be institutionalized.

Might I suggest the Vatican, then lock the doors & instruct swiss guard to turn their guns inward to maintain world peace in this way?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:21 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
He definitely won't be charged with a hate crime so the DOJ can pack up and go home. He still could be indicted by the grand jury although I suspect he won't be convicted. The case is weak with or without forensic evidence.
You have more confidence in Holder's justice department's neutrality than I do.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Respect is earned not given, black men have done little to earn respect. They abandoned their women and children, are under educated and engaged in criminality at far greater rates than the national average.
Ed seriously, get a grip on reality. You live in America. This isn't Lagos. This self-hatred cannot be good for your health.

Step and Fetchit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies