Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,883,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Here's an article in the Boston Herald that runs down some of the half truths running around in this case. Some I have debunked on this thread especially the one about refusing to confiscate Zimmerman's gun.

Trayvon Martin case’s myths, half truths - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view/20120324trayvon_martin_cases_myths_half_truths/srvc=home&position=recent - broken link)
You should read my previous posts about this rag. First run by Hearst to promote conservative views, then bought from Hearst by Rupert Murdoch/Fox. Used to be a pretty good newspaper a long time ago, called the Herald-Traveler, but Murdoch's News Corp turned it into a tabloid. Maybe it's better, since he had to sell it, but I don't live in Boston now. Murdoch hated the Kennedys so he used it the way Fox uses its station to promote anti-Obama garbage. From what I understand it still mimics Fox. In any case, I still read the article since I like to get all points of view. However, the comments by its readers don't seem to support the article.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Doesn't anyone who is defending Zimmerman or decrying the protests NOT understand what the protests are about??????????????????????????
NO ONE is calling for a lynching or even mob rule. What the protesters want is for Zimmerman to be arrested and subject to a fair trial and the rule of law.
This situation has become a huge story because of the lack of police responsibility in the death by shooting of a teenager.
If any one of us had a member of our family shot in any kind of suspicious circumstance we would want the whole incident properly investigated and not decided on by the word of the shooter....... THAT is what this is about!
exactly right. zimmerman was TOLD by the 911 operator TO STAY IN HIS VEHICLE AND NOT FOLLOW the suspect. zimmerman chose to disregard that advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What do you think a Neighborhood Watch does exactly? See a stranger and run into the closet? That's what a good Neighborhood Watch does... they stop strangers and ask them what they are doing here.... do you guys here yourself talk sometimes because it doesn't sound like you have it altogether...
NO neighborhood watch is there to observe and report to the local authorities suspicious behavior. NOT to confront the suspects in any way unless there is a life on the line.

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes an eyewitness who 'suddenly' appears out of the woodwork a month later, just days after the sheriff has to step down....how convenient.
Appeared to the media and the "mob" later. The police questioned him the night of the shooting according to the article. Or did you forget to read the actual article posted?

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Apparently the time of the incident is irrelevant. People are just saying 2am because it sounds good.
Yes just like the poster who said it was 85 degrees and why was he wearing a hoody, when it was nowhere near 85 degrees.

4,367 posts, read 3,477,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You should read my previous posts about this rag. First run by Hearst to promote conservative views, then bought from Hearst by Rupert Murdoch/Fox. Used to be a pretty good newspaper a long time ago, called the Herald-Traveler, but Murdoch's News Corp turned it into a tabloid. Maybe it's better, since he had to sell it, but I don't live in Boston now. Murdoch hated the Kennedys so he used it the way Fox uses its station to promote anti-Obama garbage. From what I understand it still mimics Fox. In any case, I still read the article since I like to get all points of view. However, the comments by its readers don't seem to support the article.

So did the Herald get it wrong it the article?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,832,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I don't know at what point Zimmerman cried for help, but on that tape it is a young person's voice that I heard. Trayvon's mother identified the voice and I'm sure there is technology that will enable the comparison of Zimmerman's voice to the one on the tape. The witness's character and credibility will also be checked out I'm sure.
I agree with you and this would not be world wide news if the Police had fully investigated this instead of just taking the word of the shooter.
Too much here to be ignored.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,755,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
No, I knew there would be no pictures linked, as his photos are either as a boy or young teen, and he was slender. The Sanford PD was in collusion with Zimmerman from the moment they arrived at the scene. I'm frankly surprised that they didn't have a drop gun or some drugs to plant on the dead child. The crime scene is gone, Zimmerman's clothes are gone, and there was no interrogation; they just took George (described on the police report as "white") at his word. They made no attempt to find the family for 3 days, even though they had Trayvon's phone. Those parents will never have their son come home. No drug or alcohol tests done on the
shooter, but performed them on the lifeless teen. Logical? Hardly. It's like Jack the Ripper...how will we know what happened? Too many don't want
to know. Law Enforcement is silent, religious leaders are silent and the RW
is more interested in twisting the facts like pretzels than in calling for
justice for this grieving family. I'm growing tired of crying for our dead
children, our dead mothers, wives, daughters and sons, cut down before
they've had a chance to know much of life, liberty or the pursuit of
happiness. This society has precious little regard for the lives of the poor,
the young, the elderly, the GLBT people, females in general, the disabled,
ethnic groups, veterans, the homeless or any other unfortunate ones.
You cannot worship both God and Mammon.
You nailed it, but the bolded portion-- the Church of Satan is protected by religious freedom too. But... where is it stated anywhere that false religious posing as Christians deserve protection? Where is it stated that a false Jew in a temple represents Jews? If you worship Mammon, you don't get to call yourself Christian. No if's ands or buts about it.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I agree with you and this would not be world wide news if the Police had fully investigated this instead of just taking the word of the shooter.
Too much here to be ignored.

According to the article in the OP they didn't just take the word of the shooter but the word of the eyewitness too. I suggest you folks read the article.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
COLLECTION OF EVIDENCEThe collection of physical evidence is vital to any crime scene search. The goal of collection is to maintain the integrity of the evidence. Physical evidence can be anything from huge items to minute traces of blood, dust, and fibers which can only be examined in the crime laboratory. Physical evidence must be handled in an exact manner thus preventing any contamination of the evidence. Blood evidence, for example, cannot be packaged wet or it will grow mold. The handlers need to try to prevent any change from taking place from the time the evidence is collected at the scene until it reaches the laboratory.
Quote:
PACKAGING OF EVIDENCECorrect packaging techniques are vital to maintaining the integrity of the evidence. If the evidence is allowed to become contaminated, damaged or evaporated through mishandling, it becomes worthless. A primary rule of packaging evidence is that, whenever possible, the items should be sent to the crime lab intact. Rather than remove evidence from the object, it's preferable that the entire object be sent to the laboratory. If evidence must be removed, forceps or swabs can be utilized. If a swab is used, the swab must be air dried before packaging.
...anybody is privy to this info, so to clearly see that law enforcement in Sanford si blatantly complicit in someting putrid. The did not take the weapon nor any clothing from the shooter???????

http://harfordmedlegal.typepad.com/f...scene_pro.html

Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 PM

31,988 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
At any rate is your position that anytime someone is killed by another they should be arrested for murder first and the truth determined later?
My position is that an arrest should be made any time there is probable cause for an arrest. It's clear you do not understand what "probable cause" means. Let me give you a few examples:

You go heavy on some Listerine while getting ready for a party. You worked the late night shift and didn't sleep the night before. You drive to a party. On the way, you get pulled over. The cop detects alcohol on your breath. He also notices that your speech is slurred and your eyes look blurry. He asks you to perform simple motor tests, which you fail (due to fatigue). The officer places you under arrest.

Did he have probable cause to arrest you? Yes. Does that mean you're guilty of the charge? No.

People get arrested every day for silly things like speeding 20+ over the limit, disorderly conduct, public urination, or "talking back" to a police officer. So I don't really consider it to be particularly galling if someone gets arrested for taking another person's life. The only relevant question is whether probable cause existed for the arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.