Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Why didn't anyone care about this for a month?

And why is Al Sharpton peddling hate instead of asking legitimate questions of the police?
Are you serious? You need to do your homework. This happened on Feb 26 if I'm not mistaken. The police didn't do their jobs. The fact that it took 3 weeks shows that they were given ample time to collect evidence, take statements, etc., but they did nothing. They wouldn't even answer questions by his family. They wouldn't return calls made by witnesses who wanted to make statements. Finally the family realized that they couldn't trust the Sanford PD and asked for an investigation.

It's not as if this suddenly popped up out of nowhere for political reasons. This isn't anything new either. The Sanford Police arrived at a scene where a Black homeless man had been beaten unconscious and did not arrest the assailant (who turned out to be a cop's son) It has a history of racial profiling. In 2005, two security guards, one the son of a Sanford police officer and the other a department volunteer, killed a Black man they said was trying to run them over. No investigation conducted and the guards were acquitted.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Wrong. This video is from the day following the shooting. Just because this is the first time YOU have seen the story does not change that fact. You are spreading incorrect information as are so many others.

Man shot and killed in neighborhood altercation (http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/seminole_news/022712-man-shot-and-killed-in-neighborhood-altercation - broken link)
What are you talking about? That article doesn't say anything different, in fact it was dated from yesterday.

And don't shoot the messenger.

It has nothing to do with ME seeing it for the first time, the anchorperson said this is the first reporter to talk to the witness. It was being shown for the first time.

Yesterday on the 5pm news there was an exclusive interview done by a female reporter from Fox 35 in Orlando. She was the first reporter to do an interview with this witness.

It was done yesterday.

Do you live in FL?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
Apologies friend for coming off that way!!!
Not what I meant to say. But I do ask you this question. With the way the Sanford Police has interpreted the law, if Trayvon was of age and armed, Did he not have the right to shoot Zimmerman dead?
Yes, I even said that in one of my posts, although I don't like gun violence.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
The NRA wants this to be a federal regulation that would force this on states that don't want it.

Rachel Maddow Asks What It Will Take To Fight The Gun Lobby

Now let's here from those on the right that insist Federal govt butt out of private lives, but would accept a gun organization to dictate law. You're all so FOS it's pouring out of your ears.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Wow, this is more racist than the people who are defending Zimmerman for being suspicious of a Black man or criticizing Trayvon for wearing a hoodie.

When you say this, it sounds as if you believe hatred is the only answer to righting a wrong and that violence is justice. Vigilantism in any neighborhood by any person is still morally reprehensible.
Not really racist... He actually raises a very good point of what happens if "stand your ground" is taken too far. If other people on the streets end up having a right to "stand their ground" and lethally attack me under various questionable pretenses and get away with it, then it stands to reason that I have a right to "stand my ground" in return and kill those people when I am under attack. Soon we can all arm ourselves to the teeth and be ready to quick draw and "stand our ground" at any given minute. Only the strongest survive, the rest are casualties of street justice. Kinda like a Mad Max movie or modern-day Syria or Somalia...not so much like a real civilized country. But hey, if that's the way they decide to push it in Florida and other places, then by all means let's arm ourselves and get ready to rumble.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What are you talking about? That article doesn't say anything different, in fact it was dated from yesterday.

It has nothing to do with ME seeing it for the first time, the anchorperson said this is the first reporter to talk to the witness. It was being shown for the first time.

Yesterday on the 5pm news there was an exclusive interview done by a female reporter from Fox 35 in Orlando. She was the first reporter to do an interview with this witness.

It was done yesterday.

Do you live in FL?
The article is very poorly written. I know I sound critical, but the woman wrote that Zimmerman is 25, not 28. Also, if you look at the original date of the article it is February 27 and "updated" on March 23.

Updated: Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 27 Feb 2012, 4:55 PM EST

Is this the way a professional news reporter should publish an article? It doesn't say what she changed or added, only that it was "updated." Maybe the headline was also "updated" to include the word "altercation?"

Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

It was done yesterday.

Do you live in FL?
It was published the day after the shooting and updated yesterday. Also, if you watch the video, it is from the day after the shooting. The video is an actual news clip.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
The New Black Panthers are offering a $10,000 bounty for the capture of George Zimmerman.

Trayvon Martin case: New Black Panthers offer $10,000 bounty for Trayvon Martin killer George Zimmerman - chicagotribune.com

Last edited by shadowne; 03-24-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 03:16 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I think this underscores just how irrelevant and now even harmful people like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Louis Farrakhan have become. Obama needs to step up and give them all a collective big yank on their leash and tell them to shut up, pack up and stop trying to stoke the flames of hate. Once again we hear a " D'Oh!" from the White House. The hate merchants and race hustlers now operate at Obama's expense. You can believe they'll be told to quietly back off.
Now that the ugly specter of racism and hate has been banished, we can focus on the actual facts of the case. I think Zimmerman will still face charges and displayed extremely poor judgement. He started an altercation and took a life even if he is apparently innocent of a hate crime. The courts will decide his fate and thats the way it should be.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
He should have listened to the dispatcher. His life now is forever changed...and for the worse. The family of the young boy killed will spend years searching to the depths of their loss for an answer to Why?

No one is the richer for this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies