Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Meanwhile, in other crime news, a jury was just selected for a murder trial in Sarasota FL. Last year a black 'youth' murdered two unarmed tourists from Great Britain. Jury includes 6 black people so there will not be any complaints from anyone. Anybody see this story anywhere on the news?
Trying very hard, aren't you?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Trying very hard, aren't you?
He is trying hard to do what?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
I'm all for this to play out in court. A grand jury should investigate the evidence and bring appropriate charges. I'll happily defer to whatever they decide after reviewing all of the facts.

But from what we've been told so far, it doesn't seem like "self defense" computes.

1. The guy chased after his victim.
2. His victim was unarmed and probably half his weight.
3. Zimmerman appears to have had a fascination with law enforcement, and there are also reports that he used some racial slurs in his 911 call. Sounds like he fancied himself some sort of a vigilante with an itchy trigger finger.
4. Phone records of Trayvon with his girlfriend seem to substantiate that Trayvon was not looking for a confrontation and was trying to get away from Zimmerman - so not presenting himself as a lethal threat to Zimmerman in any way.
5. Zimmerman was not a police officer and was not sanctioned by law in any way to forcefully apprehend Trayvon.

Maybe he was attacked by Trayvon upon confrontation and had a right to defend himself with lethal force...but I'm not sure how that could play out as a lethal threat to Zimmerman given the difference in size between the two guys. And furthermore, you could easily imagine how Trayvon would have a legal right to try to defend himself with lethal force. What would you do it a 200+ pound guy with a gun was chasing you?

So all in all, I don't currently see how Zimmerman had a right to chase after an unarmed kid half his size and gun him down in "self defense". It does not make sense.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
AA man shot a white skateboarder not too long ago in florida, where was the public outrage.
zimmerman is a mexican, he was down on the ground being beaten up when he shot .
i could do without the lynching behavior thank u.
Even if that is true, which I can't say for sure since you just pulled it out of thin air without any link to back it up, I'm sure the alleged black perpetrator was quickly arrested and thrown in jail by the local police.

Zimmerman is walking free today despite all the obvious facts in the case pointing towards a cold-blooded murder. That is a big reason why people are outraged about this. If Zimmerman were black and Trayvon was white, the Sanford PD would have treated the case very differently.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He is trying hard to do what?
To create a non-existent equivalence to this case. See my post above for further clarification on why Trayvon's case is unique.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Were you ever 17?
no. i skipped that year.

Quote:
Do you have any 17 year olds in your family?
no.

Quote:
Have you known any 17 year olds in your lifetime?
no. only 16 and younger, and 18 & older.
ask stupid questions, you get stupid answers.

Quote:
It's called relating to or empathy. 17 year old Trayvan was still a kid and somebody's child.
everyone is someones child. this is hardly a special condition.
btw, you misspelled his name. think undercoating for your car - or a synthetic sweater fiber. that may help.

Quote:
I have no idea what your last sentence means.
that is very illuminating of your abilities, considering i only wrote a single sentence.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
To create a non-existent equivalence to this case. See my post above for further clarification on why Trayvon's case is unique.
Which - this one?
Quote:
Wow, another newly registered troll.

Trayvon lives in that community. He had every right to be there. I don't even know why I'm wasting my keywords on you.
Quote:
In his neighborhood? The child lives there. He belongs in that neighborhood.
Trayvon did not live in the gated community - he was visiting from out of the area. Don't you think Zimmerman would have recognised him if he had been a resident?

Last edited by Harrier; 03-23-2012 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Trayvon is still a child in my book. If you are not old enough to... buy alcoholic beverage..., you are still technically a child.
20 year olds are children?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm all for this to play out in court. A grand jury should investigate the evidence and bring appropriate charges. I'll happily defer to whatever they decide after reviewing all of the facts.

But from what we've been told so far, it doesn't seem like "self defense" computes.

1. The guy chased after his victim.
2. His victim was unarmed and probably half his weight.
3. Zimmerman appears to have had a fascination with law enforcement, and there are also reports that he used some racial slurs in his 911 call. Sounds like he fancied himself some sort of a vigilante with an itchy trigger finger.
4. Phone records of Trayvon with his girlfriend seem to substantiate that Trayvon was not looking for a confrontation and was trying to get away from Zimmerman - so not presenting himself as a lethal threat to Zimmerman in any way.
5. Zimmerman was not a police officer and was not sanctioned by law in any way to forcefully apprehend Trayvon.

Maybe he was attacked by Trayvon upon confrontation and had a right to defend himself with lethal force...but I'm not sure how that could play out as a lethal threat to Zimmerman given the difference in size between the two guys. And furthermore, you could easily imagine how Trayvon would have a legal right to try to defend himself with lethal force. What would you do it a 200+ pound guy with a gun was chasing you?

So all in all, I don't currently see how Zimmerman had a right to chase after an unarmed kid half his size and gun him down in "self defense". It does not make sense.

Agreed. From what I see so far, Zimmerman instigated this.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Which - this one?

Trayvon did not live in the gated community - he was visiting from out of the area. Don't you think Zimmerman would have recognised him if he had been a resident?
Even taking your word that he was visiting, he had a right to be there. He was not trespassing on anybody's property.

Zimmerman murdered this child in cold blood and he should pay the ultimate penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies