Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I went to a high school with strict admission requirements. That said, some of the smart kids LOVED to talk politics. Interestingly enough, they also were on the debate team...and are all now attorneys. I also saw smart enough students out there who weren't interested in politics to a large extent. They were the "gear heads." That is, guys who became engineers, scientists, actuaries, and stuff like that. Sure, they might get into it a little bit if a rapid transit issue into their neighborhood is on the ballot, but not much more.

Why do some people think that being intelligent or sophisticated also means being heavily into political discourse? Do you agree or disagree? Add your own observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
Politics is about getting people to like you. Politics and intelligence are polar opposites.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Politics is about getting people to like you. Politics and intelligence are polar opposites.
What about attorneys with all the right credentials?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Growing up, I went to a high school with strict admission requirements. That said, some of the smart kids LOVED to talk politics. Interestingly enough, they also were on the debate team...and are all now attorneys. I also saw smart enough students out there who weren't interested in politics to a large extent. They were the "gear heads." That is, guys who became engineers, scientists, actuaries, and stuff like that. Sure, they might get into it a little bit if a rapid transit issue into their neighborhood is on the ballot, but not much more.

Why do some people think that being intelligent or sophisticated also means being heavily into political discourse? Do you agree or disagree? Add your own observations.

I think it is not so much political as much as it is keeping up with issues going on in every day life. Typically, people interested in current events and things that are going on around the world are thought to be a bit more intelligent than someone who has no clue what is going on.

Think about the people you come across on a daily basis, if they didn't know what was going on in Syria, or have any clue about Iran.. would you really think they are intelligent people?

One thing about science and engineers, they tend to have no stance on political issues in the sense that they are doing their research, regardless of politics. They aren't doing anything for any particular person, they are doing it to further the world's knowledge.

Oops, as long as we aren't talking about the global warming scientists who skew their results to make an impact.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I've met many intelligent people who have no interest in politics. I'm semi intelligent on occasion but have been apolitical for a large amount of my life, I think it's a dirty game. That doesn't mean I don't keep up with some things, but not all things. There is so much more to life.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
The smartest people i've met in my life are apolitical.

Almost all the idiots i've met in my life to a man have been obsessed with politics.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
There is certainly no shortage of idiots with an interest in politics. Just review C-D for evidence.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:50 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The smartest people i've met in my life are apolitical.

Almost all the idiots i've met in my life to a man have been obsessed with politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There is certainly no shortage of idiots with an interest in politics. Just review C-D for evidence.
Bingo!

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Well, for an intelligent, rational person who wants to understand the world, the realm of politics is one of the last places to go looking for the truth.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:39 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, for an intelligent, rational person who wants to understand the world, the realm of politics is one of the last places to go looking for the truth.
It's true -- how many exceptionally intelligent people in history have been interested in politics? Thomas Jefferson comes to mind ... who else? Being a first-rate politician is similar to being a first-rate general or quarterback .. it takes "smarts" but not real intelligence. People who are interested in politics are one part sports fans and one part moralists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies