Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off now than in January 2009?
Yes 61 52.59%
No 46 39.66%
No change 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times

Advertisements

Much MUCH better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Again, you are wrong....
You still don't get it.. drilling with the Bush years of giving rights to drill is what makes the chart high.. Obama in the future years will be down because he is not giving drilling rights that will drop the chart down the road in a few years.. because of Obama.. thank Bush for the high numbers of wells being drilled.. Obama has sat on the permits and has not passed two thirds of them..

So thank Bush for giving our permits to open drilling that you see on your big chart.

Do you think that a well drilled continues to give oil? It doesn't ..new wells need to be drilled and the permits need to be issued.

Last edited by Taratova; 03-19-2012 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Regular unleaded gasoline is $3.43/gallon in Tulsa, OK, according to GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Since 2009 I've increased my income nearly 20% while buying a nice home at a huge discount. The economy is back, except for unskilled labor - they get screwed anyway every time the economy takes a dip. These are the same folks who are voting Republican, the same people who exported most of their jobs to China...
The economy is back except for unskilled labor? You have that backwards. Unskilled labor is actually not doing too bad right now. Trades are also doing halfway decent. Engineers, teachers, healthcare, architects i.e. college degree-related jobs? Not so much, and these graduates will be serving you next time you eat at Chili's. What a great investment college is! $100,000 in debt and waiting tables!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Again, you are wrong....
Thanks for providing the facts. It tiresome to talk to people who can only parrot the propaganda they hear on TV. Yes, domestic production is up, and will continue to increase on land and on sea.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
I have a feeling that 52 people are either lying (this is the internet after all) or basing this on the fact that with more poor people in the country than ever before this represents "better off" because of Democrat ideology

Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 AM

208 posts, read 318,229 times
Quote:
Scare tactics????

I was shocked when I bought gas today, $3.16 a gallon. I'm thinking some are exaggerating a bit.
Our gas is $3.69-$3.74/gallon in western MA, higher in CT.

With regard to the original question - yes, we are better off than in Jan 2009 but not b/c of any govt. policies. We downsized, adjusted A LOT, and changed our lifestyle. The govt. policies of the past couple of years, and specifically the pre-Obamacare MA health laws are stifling. We pay over 10% of our income for health care coverage and that's just to have a $2k deductible per person, so even though we have the required healthcare it costs too much to actually use it. In addition to that, when combining federal, state, excise, (and self-employment tax on some of our income), we are paying over 40% of our income in taxes, and we are what Obama would classify as "middle class," making way under $250K, well under $150K for that matter. This is just real life for us, not some news-story rhetoric.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I have a feeling that 52 people are either lying (this is the internet after all) or basing this on the fact that with more poor people in the country than ever before this represents "better off" because of Democrat ideology
The "feeling" you have is your own biases and prejudices which really are your issues you need to address.

Those who responded positively for the most part gave reasons why they are better. The question itself asks if the reader/respondent is better off-no comparison with their neighbors, family, rest of the country.

If you really cannot contribute then why post? I realize this is the POC which is the redlight district of C-D but we occasionally do have good threads that do not stray into accusing the other party of lying.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-20-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yeah , right.. here is Akron's prices on the link. No one is paying $3.16 lowest in the country is @ $3.50

Akron Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Ohio
You calling me a liar? Because I could photo the receipt, too.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You still don't get it.. drilling with the Bush years of giving rights to drill is what makes the chart high.. Obama in the future years will be down because he is not giving drilling rights that will drop the chart down the road in a few years.. because of Obama.. thank Bush for the high numbers of wells being drilled.. Obama has sat on the permits and has not passed two thirds of them..

So thank Bush for giving our permits to open drilling that you see on your big chart.

Do you think that a well drilled continues to give oil? It doesn't ..new wells need to be drilled and the permits need to be issued.
Let me guess, you're never one to admit you are WRONG. You claimed drill activity was WAY DOWN undetermined Obama, less than under bush. When shown that you are WRONG you spew out more nonsense. Drilling activity is highly now, and it would much higher if gas companies weren't shutting in wells and reducing activity because of low nat gas prices.

Drilling activity would be up if they had more rigs, crews and infrastructure to deploy them. With the play in North Dakota Bakken, West Texas and Midwest Marcellus equipment and manpower are stretched.

Again, you're wrong, probably lord to by faux and friends, but you're still wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova Apparently you believe what you want to believe. I read the article.. compared to the bush years, drilling is DOWN.

Last edited by buzzards27; 03-20-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies