Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off now than in January 2009?
Yes 61 52.59%
No 46 39.66%
No change 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I got married, my first son was born, a promotion, my 401k quadrupled, my house is worth more now than it was when we bought it (Bought sept 2009 and it was a foreclosure), almost all of my school bills are paid off, no credit debt, car is paid off, I am getting my second graduate degree by the end of summer, and my little side business is doing well. I'm doing great!

Good for you man , congrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Our gas is $3.69-$3.74/gallon in western MA, higher in CT.
if you have an oil company credit card you should be getting a rebate. BP is now giving you the option of taking that rebate instantly at the pump. Yesterday without the rebate the price was $3.73, with the rebate it was $3.16. If you not using a credit card to buy your gas you're only hurting yourself.

Chances are most people are getting the same type of rebate or cash "rewards" for their gas purchases and you should ne figuring that into the price you're paying.

Quote:
With regard to the original question - yes, we are better off than in Jan 2009 but not b/c of any govt. policies. We downsized, adjusted A LOT, and changed our lifestyle. The govt. policies of the past couple of years, and specifically the pre-Obamacare MA health laws are stifling. We pay over 10% of our income for health care coverage and that's just to have a $2k deductible per person, so even though we have the required healthcare it costs too much to actually use it. In addition to that, when combining federal, state, excise, (and self-employment tax on some of our income), we are paying over 40% of our income in taxes, and we are what Obama would classify as "middle class," making way under $250K, well under $150K for that matter. This is just real life for us, not some news-story rhetoric.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
If yes what do you attribute it to?

Same if the response is no or no change.

My response is yes. More income, less debt, more surplus as well. Changed industries in Jan 2009 when the previous one was visibly in declension. Managed a lateral move.(Luck I know) Worked hard and smart to build current business. There was a dip throughout 2009 with recovery in 2010.

Current industry is discretionary income driven CPG so consumer confidence is what drives the business with all other matters being equal.
Our situation is not the norm--
We went from --
ZERO savings
Reduction of income by 25%
Reduction of debt by 50%
Reduction in bills owed-- 30%

So in the end we are ahead finacially. Property wise? We lost the house, 2 new cars and outrageous property tax.

We gained 2 vehicles paid for
An RV paid for
A modular home PAID FOR
ZERO property TAX
A savings balance around $10K
still a 25% reduction of income
We went from using credit / debt to paying / saving cash.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Are you saying they are not?!
Yes, I'm. Prove me wrong.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
We're better off. There haven't been any big change in jobs/income/etc. just continued accumulation of wealth over time from solid market performance and probably a bit of luck on not being one of the many laid off or with health problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I have a feeling that 52 people are either lying (this is the internet after all) or basing this on the fact that with more poor people in the country than ever before this represents "better off" because of Democrat ideology
And I have a feeling that if people aligned with opposing political team said 2+2=4 you'd probably try to find a way to prove it is mathematically incorrect.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Doing much better. Have taken on some debt, but have increased assets 10x since 2010. Kids are doing great, wife's job is going great, my own work has increased as well as overall outlook. I hired two people and things are going good with them as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Our situation is not the norm--
We went from --
ZERO savings
Reduction of income by 25%
Reduction of debt by 50%
Reduction in bills owed-- 30%

So in the end we are ahead finacially. Property wise? We lost the house, 2 new cars and outrageous property tax.

We gained 2 vehicles paid for
An RV paid for
A modular home PAID FOR
ZERO property TAX
A savings balance around $10K
still a 25% reduction of income
We went from using credit / debt to paying / saving cash.
Thanks, forgot, we also added a 21 foot motorhome, Forest River Lexington 210, to our assets in the last three years. Dow Jones doubled I'm value only am idiot could make money in the last three years.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
We're better off. There haven't been any big change in jobs/income/etc. just continued accumulation of wealth over time from solid market performance and probably a bit of luck on not being one of the many laid off or with health problems.

And I have a feeling that if people aligned with opposing political team said 2+2=4 you'd probably try to find a way to prove it is mathematically incorrect.
Or maybe there are many fake accounts being created to put this poll in the lefts favor...

Then again, you strike me as someone who would believe ANYTHING the mainstream news would say....

I know of nobody who is doing better than 2009.... like I say, anybody can be anything they want to be on the internet, including a liar

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I had to go with NO. My income hasn't kept up with inflation. Job (in)security is largely unchanged. My discretionary income is down, due to increases in FUEL and food prices. My health care is poorer, due to higher deductables on our insurance program.

The only places where I am better off is due to things I have done. Things like reduced spending, selling some vehicles and driving an older, used one and paying paid off come credit cards. Getting spending and credit payments under control has left far more money available at the end of the month and reduced a number of worries.

If only our government could try the same approach...

Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I had to go with NO. My income hasn't kept up with inflation. Job (in)security is largely unchanged. My discretionary income is down, due to increases in FUEL and food prices. My health care is poorer, due to higher deductables on our insurance program.
And you're going to blame government for ALL of that? Or, would you be willing to own some of the responsibilities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies