Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,491,882 times

Advertisements

Obama administration says San Diego cross should stay - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-cross-20120317,0,4856694.story?track=lat-pick - broken link)

Reporting from Washington -- The Obama administration is asking the Supreme Court to allow a 43-foot-tall cross that serves as a war memorial to remain atop Mt. Soledad in San Diego, arguing that the cross has been there since 1954 and is not an endorsement of religion.

The government should not be required "to tear down a cross that has stood without incident for 58 years as a highly venerated memorial to the nation's fallen service members," Solicitor Gen. Donald B. Verrilli Jr. said in a new appeal to the high court....

What was that about Obama's War on Christianity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM

23,666 posts, read 23,982,865 times
It's a rare thing when I agree with Obama on something, but on this, I agree. And I'm not even a religious person. Maybe he's starting to come around... With any luck, he'll start making good decisions on things that actually matter.

(8,000th post!)

Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,479,246 times
What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought Obama was a christian hating muslim?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
its a military war memorial symbol. stop the madness. atheists please stop the jihad on christian related symbols, can we all just learn to get along.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,429,306 times
But you better take down those 10 commandments that stood in front of your courthouse for over 100 years!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Obama administration says San Diego cross should stay - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-cross-20120317,0,4856694.story?track=lat-pick - broken link)

Reporting from Washington -- The Obama administration is asking the Supreme Court to allow a 43-foot-tall cross that serves as a war memorial to remain atop Mt. Soledad in San Diego, arguing that the cross has been there since 1954 and is not an endorsement of religion.

The government should not be required "to tear down a cross that has stood without incident for 58 years as a highly venerated memorial to the nation's fallen service members," Solicitor Gen. Donald B. Verrilli Jr. said in a new appeal to the high court....

What was that about Obama's War on Christianity?
You don't think this has anything to do with election year politics? You don't think that Obama is bruised over the Catholic/Birth Control issue? You don't think that Barack Obama feels the need to make inroads with Christians in a year when he's trying to get re-elected?

Of course you don't. Liberals have never been known for extraordinary foresight.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,623,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
But you better take down those 10 commandments that stood in front of your courthouse for over 100 years!
Did Obama order a courthouse to take down that particular statue?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,491,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You don't think this has anything to do with election year politics? You don't think that Obama is bruised over the Catholic/Birth Control issue? You don't think that Barack Obama feels the need to make inroads with Christians in a year when he's trying to get re-elected?

Of course you don't. Liberals have never been known for extraordinary foresight.

So, even when he does right, he's still wrong?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, even when he does right, he's still wrong?
I support the Administration in its push to protect the cross on the mountain. This story has angered me from Day 1 because I personally feel that Atheists are the scourge of the nation.

But i'm also not oblivious to the fact that nothing.....absolutely nothing....takes place in this Administration without being ran between the political filter between Barack Obama's ears. A person without conviction (ie. Obama) has no choice but to ensure his survival through other means, such as pandering. He could care less about this cross. The President has chosen politics over principle, as he always does, because it's an election year. It's blatantly obvious to me.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 AM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
This story has angered me from Day 1 because I personally feel that Atheists are the scourge of the nation.
Most administrations have always taken the position that items of historical significance are viewed differently than items that people want to throw up for public display right now. And atheists are not a scourge on anything, you don't even know what most people believe and some of your favorite people are no doubt nonbelievers.. Who you actually think is a scourge are people who don't agree with you and take action to make stuff happen. Those kinds come in all flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies