U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM

162 posts, read 404,313 times

Advertisements

Awww...sounds like I hit a nerve with some of you guys

Face it - we'd be living in caves much like our enemies if it weren't for the ingenuity of some of our technically more brilliant peers

For the record: I'm not an engineer at a defense contractor, nor an enlisted meathead
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,430,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
Awww...sounds like I hit a nerve with some of you guys

Face it - we'd be living in caves much like our enemies if it weren't for the ingenuity of some of our technically more brilliant peers

For the record: I'm not an engineer at a defense contractor, nor an enlisted meathead
you need not be unlisted to be a meathead

Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM

57,043 posts, read 32,413,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
you need not be unlisted to be a meathead
You got that right. The officer Corps is full of dopes. Worked for a few. Would've been better off taking orders from a private.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 PM

19,783 posts, read 14,094,172 times
Because they're nerds.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM

22,769 posts, read 28,806,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
Quite honestly, the engineers at major defense contractors like Lockheed I would argue are the most valuable asset to any military. The reason we're so dominant is because of the large gap in technology between ours and other world powers - which comes from people with a STEM background, who have the creativity and analytical abillity to think of the latest most efficient killing machines

The enlisted meathead would be useless without the support of all the equipment created by the nerds he used to pick on back in highschool

Ironically a lot of people doing that work nowadays are from other countries
because soldiers aren't being recognized for winning, they're being recognized for risking their lives.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM

48,507 posts, read 91,417,153 times
I would gess for the same reason that those who support the nerds research dollars get liitle appreciation, Nerds are not seen as hero types from the view of personal sacrifice in what they do.They basically are seen as the sword makes of old /paid well for what they do for the real heroes who make much more sacrfice in perosnal terms as people have always recongized.Perhaps is also why the negineers who apply what science has provide the materials and knowledge f them are seen the same way by engineers in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies