Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did your newspaper deal with the Doonesbury strip concerning abortion/sonograms?
Published on the Comics Page 4 28.57%
Published on OP/ED or Other Page 3 21.43%
Not Published With Explanation 5 35.71%
Not Published-No Explanation 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

The RWNJ's KNOW the ONE RIGHT WAY and do not want anyone to see of think of an alternate.

The men think that shame will change a woman's mind about having an abortion. I expect they will then call for shunning if shame did not work. So what? The woman will be shunned anyway for getting pregnant while the guy will be congratulated for being so virile.

I suggest any woman in that situation move away and find some real friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The Atlanta Journal Constitution is running it in its usual spot in the "Living" section without comment.

My local paper is carrying it in the usual place on the editorial page without comment.

I have an objection to referring to the ultrasound procedure as "rape", however, even satirically. It is, after all, a legitimate medical procedure.
Shoving anything up me without my consent is rape.
I don't care who's doing the shoving.

The state certainly has no right to do so.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
I've been a fan of Doonesbury in the past, but haven't kept up with it for the last few years. Personally, I think it's more appropriate for the Editorial/Opinion pages than the funny pages.

As far as his portrayal of this particular controversy, he is spot on.

Last edited by quigboto; 03-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: moar words

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Brava!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
The Atlanta Journal Constitution is running it in its usual spot in the "Living" section without comment.

My local paper is carrying it in the usual place on the editorial page without comment.

I have an objection to referring to the ultrasound procedure as "rape", however, even satirically. It is, after all, a legitimate medical procedure.
The Justice Department defines rape as, ""penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim,"

There is no legitimate reason to require such a procedure. It is shaming, pure and simple, and it is rape if the woman does not consent.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Doonesbury is still being published?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
You were expecting facts in Democrat talking points?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Sex is a legitimate social activity but not when it's forced. I haven't seen the strip but I can see the analogy, being forced or agreed to makes all the difference as well as the control issues involved.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The Justice Department defines rape as, ""penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim,"

There is no legitimate reason to require such a procedure. It is shaming, pure and simple, and it is rape if the woman does not consent.
In the context of the strip, there is an implied consent for the ultrasound on the the part of the woman undergoing it. If she did not consent, it would not be performed.

I totally agree that a woman who desires an abortion should not be required to undergo an ultrasound in order to obtain the abortion.

There are people who are fostering a movement against "medical rape", which includes the unpleasant but necessary examinations done to follow a woman in labor and to deliver a baby. I am afraid any implication that a vaginal ultrasound is "rape" will add fuel to that fire.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
I totally agree that a woman who desires an abortion should not be required to undergo an ultrasound in order to obtain the abortion.
Good for you. I'm sure as a licensed OB/GYN that you recommend that to all of your patients.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:

If you want an abortion and the law says you have to have one of these things, you are CONSENTING to it!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Good for you. I'm sure as a licensed OB/GYN that you recommend that to all of your patients.
I am not sure what your comment means.

If I were a licensed OB/GYN I would recommend what to whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies