Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

It's not that bad. Thankfully folks are much more collaborative in real life than in the online blogs. I've never asked a single one of my neighbors about their politics. Frankly, I don't really care.

The partisans do the most shouting, but most people are closer to the middle than comes through here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
they shouldn't

Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I've never asked a single one of my neighbors about their politics.
Does it have to do with the sensitivity of the topic??? Because if that is the factor that deters you then that is not a good thing...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
It is obvious that there are two totally opposing ideologies. There will be a constant battle between the two.

There is less civility. Outright hatred.

I do not want to live with the political left. I want to live apart from them. Their ways are not mine.

It's not like we disagree on how to get to the same goal. We disagree on what we want this nation to be.

Why should we stay together as a nation. I'm just asking....
Name a nation you can move to worth living in that doesn't have a political left. Go ahead....i'm waiting.

This is in the running with a few others as the dopiest thread on the planet. You can't find a place in a nation with a few opposing viewpoints? How pathetic. Jump off a building or something...you'd be better off.

You want to live in a nation where everyone thinks alike?

Damn...this is some sad sh*t.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Does it have to do with the sensitivity of the topic??? Because if that is the factor that deters you then that is not a good thing...
No,ok maybe a bit. It is just that I don't know their views, and I cannot assume that everyone in my neighborhood thinks like me. So, we talk about other stuff like "How's Paul doing in college?" "How do you keep those lilacs looking so terrific each year?!" "What do you think of that new hiking trail?" "Hot dog, my son's car won the pinewood derby!" Etc., etc.

We have plenty to talk about besides religion and politics, and I prefer it that way. We look out for each other too. Neighborliness is bipartisan, thankfully.
When I hear someone ranting about politics at a BBQ or something, I ignore them. It is usually some middle aged guy with no social skills and a belly of beer (sometimes it's me, and I get ignored-a good thing!).

Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Is Texas really so bad?
I spent most of yesterday stuck at DFW waiting or a flight out. Texans just rub me the wrong way. I know you can't generalize an entire state of people, but man... so I go the airport bar. I order a Sam Adams. Big whoop. If they had Shiner on tap, I would have ordered a Shiner. Shiner is my go-to beer when it's on tap... damn good. Anyways, no Shiner .. ok, Sam it is.

Two loud Texans sitting next to me start talking about how they just don't like Sam Adams -- just don't like it. They're older guys, business types ... one of the many, many class of people I like and enjoy talking to. They weren't trying to rib me. Their tone was friendly and oddly inviting... I've spent enough time around Texans to know that this kind of insult is the way they start a conversation around those parts. It's just not for me. I ignored them. I had no interest in defending Sam Adams and my yankee ways. (I'm not even a yankee... I was born and raised in California, but Georgia is my adopted homeland and my great, great, great grand daddy fought for the Confederacy.)

If more Texans were like Matthew McConaughey, I would have moved there yesterday. Him I get. I like his approach. Most Texans just strike me as rude though -- and they have the most annoying habit of being arrogant about ignorance ... so not for me.

(End of threadjack.)

Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I spent most of yesterday stuck at DFW waiting or a flight out. Texans just rub me the wrong way. I know you can't generalize an entire state of people, but man... so I go the airport bar. I order a Sam Adams. Big whoop. If they had Shiner on tap, I would have ordered a Shiner. Shiner is my go-to beer when it's on tap... damn good. Anyways, no Shiner .. ok, Sam it is.

Two loud Texans sitting next to me start talking about how they just don't like Sam Adams -- just don't like it. They're older guys, business types ... one of the many, many class of people I like and enjoy talking to. They weren't trying to rib me. Their tone was friendly and oddly inviting... I've spent enough time around Texans to know that this kind of insult is the way they start a conversation around those parts. It's just not for me. I ignored them. I had no interest in defending Sam Adams and my yankee ways. (I'm not even a yankee... I was born and raised in California, but Georgia is my adopted homeland and my great, great, great grand daddy fought for the Confederacy.)

If more Texans were like Matthew McConaughey, I would have moved there yesterday. Him I get. I like his approach. Most Texans just strike me as rude though -- and they have the most annoying habit of being arrogant about ignorance ... so not for me.

(End of threadjack.)
Shiner bock is good for intestinal worms, I hear.

Come to Oregon for some decent beer!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It's not that bad. Thankfully folks are much more collaborative in real life than in the online blogs. I've never asked a single one of my neighbors about their politics. Frankly, I don't really care.

The partisans do the most shouting, but most people are closer to the middle than comes through here.
Same here. I NEVER discuss politics offline unless asked something specific, and i keep it extremely brief.

People that yammer on about politics are A-holes. I'd never discuss something like that with neighbors or friends. I just don't care about the topic enough, and no one is gonna change their minds anyway. So why bother?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
"Why should the states stay united as a nation?"

Because we are not a Union. Union sounds like a party, a get together. More like a marriage but we are a forced union. The former Soviet Union was a forced union. The Euro zone is a Union but not forced? Draw your own conclusions.
Oh, shut up. You might not like the current state of things in the country but to compare it to the Soviet Union is beyond retarded.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually there are more than two. Yes, we should split into five or six regional countries tied together for defense and trade... kinda like Europe. But for different reasons than you post. The main reason is that our country is too big to manage and our diversity requires constant compromise with solutions that fit very few of the states. Six US countries each about the size of France would be much more manageable.
Your describing how the country operated under the articles of confederation and that didn't work well at all and the EU is looking like it could fall apart at anytime. So I think I'll pass on your idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies