Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times

Advertisements

No. This is like asking if scientology influences my decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Then leave it to God to be my judge. That's not your job. Okay?
Precisely. Separation of church and state---oh until you want the church to pay for your fertility issues. Then that is very different.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
On top of it all, I would not say that Obama is "going after" the Catholic Church. That sounds personal and targeted. His healthcare act instituted a mandate that they, and probably other religions, don't like. It's not targeted to go after them. They just don't agree. They've been somewhat waivered out of it which is a compromise he probably didn't have to make.

They didn't make a compromise---oh you are posting about his little back door statement on "you won't pay for BC, the insurance will pay for BC" knowing all along the church self-insures. Compromise my foot.

Plus, even if the church has an outside insurance company since when do these companies give anything away for free? They just pass the cost along to those who buy from them. Round about way of saying---you pay for it anyway.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Precisely. Separation of church and state---oh until you want the church to pay for your fertility issues. Then that is very different.
No fertility issues here. I'm 76.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
No fertility issues here. I'm 76.
How did you survive without everything being paid for you by other people? Maybe you were a REAL feminist.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
How did you survive without everything being paid for you by other people? Maybe you were a REAL feminist.
I'm not a feminist at all. I'm a conservative and I spent 40+ years in the working world. Never took a dime from welfare (never asked for any either) and never collected on anything I did not pay into first. Don't know what made you think I might be a feminist OR a liberal. I've been on CD for years and have had my share of dust ups with liberals but this is the first time another conservative has started a confrontation with me. Settle down, sis. I'm on your side of the fence.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not a feminist at all. I'm a conservative and I spent 40+ years in the working world. Never took a dime from welfare (never asked for any either) and never collected on anything I did not pay into first. Don't know what made you think I might be a feminist OR a liberal. I've been on CD for years and have had my share of dust ups with liberals but this is the first time another conservative has started a confrontation with me. Settle down, sis. I'm on your side of the fence.
Sorry, you can see how I am attacked but NO I am not saying I am a victim so libs stop typing.

I barely have time to see who is posting so I stupidly assume it will be a lib. I will be more careful in the future.

I think your posts are---

Old 03-21-2012, 05:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Catholics are people just like anyone else. Last time I checked, they also constituted over 20% of the US population.

Catholic Church in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their issues may not be of crucial importance to each of us, but one would be foolish indeed not to pay attention to what none-fifth of their fellow Americans are thinking about, don't you think?

In addition, Catholic institutions of higher learning are major players in tertiary education:

[From Wikipedia] According to the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities, there are approximately 230 Roman Catholic universities and colleges in the United States with nearly 1 million students and some 65,000 professors.

Catholic medical facilities are crucial to the nation's healthcare system:

[From Wikipedia] In 2002, Catholic health care systems, overseeing 625 hospitals with a combined revenue of 30 billion dollars, comprised the nation's largest group of nonprofit systems.[19] In 2008, the cost of running these hospitals had risen to $84.6 billion, including the $5.7 billion they donate.[20] According to the Catholic Health Association of the United States, 60 health care systems, on average, admit one in six patients nationwide each year.

Anyone who doubts that these facts, and the religion of these people, are critically important to our nation is living in a dream world much less feasible than the faith they so mock so flippantly.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
It is also off topic. I thought the Catholic church was opposed to in-vitro, etc, as well.

Quote:
Oh, cut the snark, Janelle! This contraception issue is in regard to getting prescription drug coverage for BCPs as part of one's insurance policy that one is PAYING FOR! All this crap about how people could go to PP or the county health dept (neither of which are options for everyone) is IRRELEVANT! You're paying for your insurance, you should get the coverage.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is also off topic. I thought the Catholic church was opposed to in-vitro, etc, as well.

They are.

Oh, cut the snark, Janelle! This contraception issue is in regard to getting prescription drug coverage for BCPs as part of one's insurance policy that one is PAYING FOR! All this crap about how people could go to PP or the county health dept (neither of which are options for everyone) is IRRELEVANT! You're paying for your insurance, you should get the coverage.
The issue is the church CANNOT pay for contraceptives without violating their conscience. They are not blocking anyone from getting it they cannot pay for it.

I don't know where people are going to get their drugs, that is not the topic. They just cannot expect the church to pay for their supplies that blocks life or takes life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies