Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times

Advertisements

There have been cases of blacks commiting hate crimes against whites and whites commiting hate crimes against blacks. My question is what can make a person so hateful that they would do this to another person. Why does it seem that these types of crimes take place in the south? I live in Detroit where the area is segregated and racist but we don't do this
Six charged in alleged torture - Crime & Punishment - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,820 times
I am totally against the hate crimes laws. They should get the punishment they deserve and every victim should have the right to see their attacker get the same time for the same crime. One victim should not be more important than another.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I am totally against the hate crimes laws. They should get the punishment they deserve and every victim should have the right to see their attacker get the same time for the same crime. One victim should not be more important than another.
Does that mean "state of mind" or "motive" should never matter?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
I think that 'hate crime' is a potentially touchy term, but state of mind and motive should definitely matter. Everyone would agree that crimes that are particularly brutal or troubling in their execution are and should be treated differently. Whether there should be mandatory sentencing for hate crimes is a different story, but judges and juries should consider the nature of the crime during trial.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Does that mean "state of mind" or "motive" should never matter?
If a victim is murdered by someone that has no preference if someone is a particular race, gay, women or whatever and another victim is murdered by someone that goes after a particular target, both victims are dead. Same crime, same time.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM

And of course racially motivated crimes happen all over. Up north. Down south. Out west and back east.

They may happen more often down South, but, in the case of black-white crime, there has been more time for rifts and bad blood to develop. Plus, states like SC, GA, and MS are 30-40% black. That means more black-white crime, including brutal hate crime.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
If a victim is murdered by someone that has no preference if someone is a particular race, gay, women or whatever and another victim is murdered by someone that goes after a particular target, both victims are dead. Same crime, same time.
A person who shoots someone after a drunken argument in a smoky bar should get the same time as someone who brutally stabs a five year old kid? I doubt you agree with that.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:05 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
So what makes it OK, in your mind, to punish a cold-blooded killer from one who kills accidentally?

The only reason why they're not the "same crime" is because the law makes a distinction for motive in determining punishment.

The victim is the "same amount dead" no matter what... yet motive - very much a "state of mind" calculation IS taken into account.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
A person who shoots someone after a drunken argument in a smoky bar should get the same time as someone who brutally stabs a five year old kid? I doubt you agree with that.
I agree with you there but I am sure courts and juries take that into consideration and it should be the same for everyone. If someone shoots someone after a drunken argument in a smoky bar and they are white they should get the same time as someone who commits the same act and is black.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:08 PM

This particular crime should be considered heinous because it is heinous and the juries should consider that and give them an appropriate sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies