Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

I just thought that this information might be of interest to people.

BBC News - Which is the world's biggest employer?

Notice that US Defense is the largest employer.
Look at who's second.

If other countries would spend more on their defense, perhaps we would have more to spend on our people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 AM

690 posts, read 1,201,590 times
What a daft comparison...Why compare the DoD with the NHS?

A more direct comparison would be to compare the Department of Health and all services under its control to the DoD, Or a specific service, like the Army, to the NHS.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Daft indeed.

Quote:
Second place goes to the Chinese military - the People's Liberation Army (PLA) - with forces numbering 2.3 million. And the top spot is taken by the US Department of Defense with a cool 3.2 million-strong workforce.
They are also taking the number of active duty military personnel from China and comparing it with entire DoD including govt/civilian workforce. China has 2.3 million active duty, the United States has 1.5 million.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Daft indeed.

They are also taking the number of active duty military personnel from China and comparing it with entire DoD including govt/civilian workforce. China has 2.3 million active duty, the United States has 1.5 million.
Yes. China has people to spare. Too many.

I think we spend way too much on defense, but after looking at China - well, there has to be a balance to all that strength of a repressive regime somewhere.

Hopefully, there will be no reason to think of the two largest armies in the world colliding.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Look at who's second.

If other countries would spend more on their defense, perhaps we would have more to spend on our people?
What exactly are we supposed to spend money on for people?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Better education, since so many countries surpass us. Probably because they can pour more of their money into education as they are not spending it on defense.

Health care. Systems of catching mental health problems early, in dysfunctional families, before their kids grow up and kill others.

Environmental products, solar panels on every roof.

Are you kidding me? You don't know how we could spend extra money?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Better education, since so many countries surpass us. Probably because they can pour more of their money into education as they are not spending it on defense.

Health care. Systems of catching mental health problems early, in dysfunctional families, before their kids grow up and kill others.

Environmental products, solar panels on every roof.

Are you kidding me? You don't know how we could spend extra money?
None of the above are within the federal governments powers.

Defense spending is.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
I have worked for #3 - how do I apply for #2?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:

Look at who's second.

Quote:
And the top spot is taken by the US Department of Defense with a cool 3.2 million-strong workforce.
I can assure you our actual troops are a fraction of that 3.2 million, and still, they take cut after cut after cut so the pentagon can protect the contractor weasels.
The latest progrom from 'libertarian minded' characters is trying to convince military their bennies package costs too much & mess with retirement.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I think therapy for hysterical rabid right would be far more economical than chasing ghosts around the planet to the tune of trillions. Wacky me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies