Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
So what would be a fair percentage?
If it were up to me, I'd just tax inheritence 100 percent and call it a day, Dano. I wouldn't tax income at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Citing data from the federal government available for you to use to disprove their thesis?

Please do so rather than disparaging he articles.............
Data is subjective to the source providing it my friend. The thing is the CBO disagrees and even says that the tax cuts bush enacted when allowed to expire will increase federal revenue http://cbo.gov/publication/21938 , http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...-revenues.html .

Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM

433 posts, read 459,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I have to say that it's amusing when in one post you say:

Quote:
Oh look 3 articles from right wing leading people and or policy institutions claiming cutting taxes increases revenue. Now of course they are not biased at all are they?
and in your next post you quote a leading left wing group.

Not withstanding any perceived bias by either source the facts remain in the data; revenues did in fact rise and an increased percentage of said revenue was paid by the wealthy.

In the analysis within your cite, the increased revenues are deemed to be caused by increased corporate tax payments. Assuming this is true,
where do you suppose the funding required to increase corporate production came from? Or for that matter the money required to purchase said increased production?

Could it be that by leaving money in the pockets of the public that a significant increase in economic activity occurred? Perhaps due to tax cuts?

Can you perhaps provide data or cites that support the concept of increased revenue and economic activity because of tax increases? Not to mention the wealthy paying an increased percentage of Federal income tax revenues..................

Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Data is subjective to the source providing it my friend. The thing is the CBO disagrees and even says that the tax cuts bush enacted when allowed to expire will increase federal revenue CBO | Trends in Federal Tax Revenues and Rates , TaxProf Blog: CBO: Tax Revenues to 'Shoot Up' 30% by 2014 .
Is that a good thing? Taking more money from the people, just for the sake of taking more money? I'm sure the statists would be all in favor of that, less money in our pockets, and more for them to spend. Oh look!!! Another crony of the president needs $500 million of our income, oh goody.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,590 times
Quote:
I don't think so, everyone paying federal income tax received a tax cut and revenues increased.
How do you think that happened?..............

DWYER: Bush tax cuts boosted federal revenue - Washington Times

The Facts About Tax Cuts, Revenue, and Growth
If tax cuts spur growth, then why was growth far better when the tax rates were higher under Clinton?

My mistake. The last THIRTY years undercuts the argument.

I'll wave away your Moonie opinion column. Those aren't facts.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM

613 posts, read 759,526 times
Quote:
to reduce the percentage of Federal income taxes paid by the bottom 50%!

" The share of the income tax burden borne by the top 10 percent of taxpayers increased from 48.0 percent in 1981 to 57.2 percent in 1988. Meanwhile, the share of income taxes paid by the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers dropped from 7.5 percent in 1981 to 5.7 percent in 1988. "

http://crab.rutgers.edu/~mchugh/taxes/The%20Reagan%20Tax%20Cuts%20Lessons%20for%20Tax%20 Reform.htm

Revenues rise and the percentage paid by the bottom 50% fall; why don't folks understand this?
They make all the money brah.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If it were up to me, I'd just tax inheritence 100 percent and call it a day, Dano. I wouldn't tax income at all.
Actually, I'd trade a rise of the highest tax rate to 40% (from 35%) and have no inheritance tax. Once you are dead, who wants to write a check to the Treasury just because you died? The livign are taxed enough. Don't tax them because someone died and the money transfers ownership.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
Quote:
Congrats. Again, what rate do you think would be fair? And have you written a check for your increase to the feds yet?
I think YOU need to pay more, 10%, maybe 15%. Seeing that most of mine has been taxed I don't care what you decide, it won't affect me at all.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
They make all the money brah.
DUH, not sure what talking point the OP is pushing tonite, but when the top earners earn most of the money they pay most of the taxes. I'm guessing the OP want to taxes food stamps, aid to dependent children and social security as hard as possible. That'll fix them poor, disabled and elderly people. Let's take formula out of newborns' mouths so the uber wealthy can buy bigger sail boats.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM

433 posts, read 459,676 times
Quote:
Data is subjective to the source providing it my friend. The thing is the CBO disagrees and even says that the tax cuts bush enacted when allowed to expire will increase federal revenue CBO | Trends in Federal Tax Revenues and Rates , TaxProf Blog: CBO: Tax Revenues to 'Shoot Up' 30% by 2014 .
Nice try. I think there's a little confusion about the difference between data and projections. The information I provided is based upon performance data; the CBO is a projection based with numerous caveats. The track record for CBO estimates is poor at best.

Find any data that indicates that tax increases provide the same effects as tax cuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies