Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And the spin is on...
What spin?

I remember when all this was going on and I read his reasons for delaying it. You or I may not have agreed with those reasons but they were given when it happened--last year. So, the review has been performed and they are going through with the process rather than take the "rushed" process last year. Can you point out the "spin" to me?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yep, he did delay it in order to take time to review all the issues. Apparently that has now been done and it is moving forward.
Lol, you obama supporters are a bunch of mindless drones. You believe anything he says. The reason its being fast trackted, is because gas prices are kicking his ass and that one issue alone can cost him the election.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yep, he did delay it in order to take time to review all the issues. Apparently that has now been done and it is moving forward.
I see you're confused.

Note the date:

Obama Rejects Reason, Kills Keystone XL - Forbes

Obama Rejects Reason, Kills Keystone XL

Republicans and the GOP candidates, along with the media, began hammering him for this political decision, to appease his environmental base.

In January, the GOP forced his hand, and again he rejected the project, even though the State dept had over 3 YEARS to assess the project.

Just last month, as a bill was making it's way through the democrat-controlled Senate, obama had to call in every marker to avoid being made a fool of.

Just a few weeks ago, the TransCanada decided to start building other sections of the pipeline.

All this time obama has been hammered by the GOP.

And now he thinks he'll be able to convince people he was for it all along?

I think not.

Quote:
So, the review has been performed and they are going through with the process rather than take the "rushed" process last year.
Rushed? 3 years is rushed?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68089.html

Quote:
The State Department on Thursday announced that it’s punting a decision on the controversial Keystone XL pipeline until at least the first quarter of 2013 — pushing off a no-win decision for President Barack Obama until well after the 2012 election.

Environmental groups have been protesting the pipeline that would run from Alberta oil sands to Texas refineries, and there have been rumblings that greens would abandon Obama next fall if he approved it.

The State Department then released a final supplemental environmental assessment in August stating that TransCanada’s proposed route is the preferred option.
And then...politics got in the way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/op...ystone-xl.html

Quote:
I realize that President Obama rejected Keystone because, politically, he had no choice. My guess is that, in his centrist heart of hearts, the president wanted to approve it. But to give the go-ahead before the election was to risk losing the support of the environmentalists who make up an important part of his base.

Last edited by sanrene; 03-21-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I see you're confused.

Note the date:

Obama Rejects Reason, Kills Keystone XL - Forbes

Obama Rejects Reason, Kills Keystone XL

Republicans and the GOP candidates, along with the media, began hammering him for this political decision, to appease his environmental base.

In January, the GOP forced his hand, and again he rejected the project, even though the State dept had over 3 YEARS to assess the project.

Just last month, as a bill was making it's way through the democrat-controlled Senate, obama had to call in every marker to avoid being made a fool of.

Just a few weeks ago, the TransCanada decided to start building other sections of the pipeline.

All this time obama has been hammered by the GOP.

And now he thinks he'll be able to convince people he was for it all along?

I think not.
Doesn't matter what you think. Here's what the Administration said.

Quote:
January 18, 2012 The Obama administration rejected a bid to expand the controversial Keystone oil sands pipeline Wednesday, saying the deadline imposed by Congress did not leave sufficient time to conduct the necessary review.

"The rushed and arbitrary deadline insisted on by Congressional Republicans prevented a full assessment of the pipeline's impact, especially the health and safety of the American people, as well as our environment," Obama said in a statement.

The State Department, which was tasked with issuing the permit, said the denial does not "preclude any subsequent applications."
Shortly after the decision was rendered TransCanada (TRP), the company that wants to build the pipeline, said it would do just that.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
and like a good citizen of you believed them lol

got swampland?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Propaganda.....in order to mitigate the damage caused to obama.

Are you even aware he rejected the pipeline, for the FIRST time, in Nov of 2011?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
obama trying to garner more voters I see....
And you guys say he is a dummy!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Exclamation huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
and like a good citizen of you believed them lol

got swampland?

What does this mean? What is a good citizen of you?

Are you paying attention?

Is the Administration allowing a portion of the pipeline to move forward?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Thumbs down bleh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Are you even aware he rejected the pipeline, for the FIRST time, in Nov of 2011?

And.

Are you aware of the thousands of revisions and rejections an engineering project encounters on the way to becoming realized?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
It's a lost cause, the Obama-haters have been shown over and over again the intricacies of Keystone but they willfully choose to only believe the Right-wing propaganda. No presentation of facts or logic will show them otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies