Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times

Advertisements

SYG results in many not being charged as it has created a difficult to prosecute position. We can indeed thank the NRA for "looking out for us" and the repugs in FL....but that is nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
You miss my point ---------- Zimmerman is in violation of that law. THere is now way it should be apart of the discussion. Zimmerman was not standing his ground. If Trayvon was armed this law would have exonerated him in defending himself. I refuse to concede.

THough Trayvon was not armed this law would worked perfectly in his favor.
He tried to flee.
He was outweighed by 100lbs in a physical conflict.

This law is put in place in FLorida to protect the weak against stronger ill intentioned aggressors.

This law is not applicable to Zimmerman. Period!!!
You miss my point. I don't trust you, or anyone who isn't trained, to make life a death decisions. Self protection can be accomplished without a deadly tool in the hands of some random tool.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 AM

504 posts, read 456,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You miss my point. I don't trust you, or anyone who isn't trained, to make life a death decisions. Self protection can be accomplished without a deadly tool in the hands of some random tool.

Well trained by the best weapons trainer in Florida. Mr. Hinson out Jackson county Florida my friend.
I like the law because it puts an air of uncertainty in the air that you don't know what a person has so your first thought should be to "LEAVE THEM ALONE" stay out of a compromising position and mind your own business.

We all know criminals dont care about gun laws, I prefer not to be at their tender mercies.

Put me in Trayvons place and I WOULD STILL BE ALIVE, thanks to SYG!

Of course biases and demographics would have dictated that I "would have" been arrested but the law would have been on my side. That law is not something I want to see repealed.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
So you don't trust yourself???

Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
You miss my point ---------- Zimmerman is in violation of that law. THere is now way it should be apart of the discussion. Zimmerman was not standing his ground. If Trayvon was armed this law would have exonerated him in defending himself. I refuse to concede.

He tried to flee.

This law is put in place in FLorida to protect the weak against stronger ill intentioned aggressors.

How do you "stand your ground" against Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris who could kill you without a weapon? If you are doing your job as a neighborhood watch person and someone gets mad and turns on you what can you do to defend yourself from someone with superiior hand-to-hand fighting skills? Guns are the great equalizer.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
By the by, here is a link so all may read the actual law in question:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

I agree that this incident should not be a basis for repealing this law. The actions of Zimmerman (as currently being reported) would clearly fall outside the reading and intent of the law.

I do, however, reject the simplistic argument that if only this young man had a gun or bazooka then he may have enjoyed the benefits of this law. It is inserting a supposition that is worthless and irrelevant.

If the evolving facts turn out to be correct, we have a young man that was walking down the street minding his own business. Such a person should not be blamed for not having a weapon. To argue that IF this young man had a gun (I believe he was too young to own or even carry such a weapon) then he could have used the Florida Statute to avoid prosecution for defending himself, is faulty reasoning.

I doubt the original poster meant this, but the tenor of his argument is: the youth was at fault for not being armed.

If anything, the laws should be examined concerning those like Zimmerman who self-appoint themselves as guardians, and drive the streets literally looking for an excuse to play sheriff. While having a neighborhood watch is good, those who take part in my neighborhood certainly do not go after probable criminals, but will call the police. At the neighborhood watch meetings a policeman will appear and address the participants, and strongly urge those taking part to call the police if they see suspcious activity, and to not approach the suspicious person.

Anyway, we have here a young man, walking the street, minding his own business, confronted by a creep with a gun demanding to know what the youth was doing. Wrong on many levels. But let us know cast any blame on the youth.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 AM

504 posts, read 456,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
How do you "stand your ground" against Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris who could kill you without a weapon? If you are doing your job as a neighborhood watch person and someone gets mad and turns on you what can you do to defend yourself from someone with superiior hand-to-hand fighting skills? Guns are the great equalizer.

I agree totally!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I support the law as it was originally intended to function. There should be a clause for prudent use of the firearm and more weighty responsibility attached to firearm user in terms of escalation prior to the use of deadly force.(It really is implied in using deadly force in any situation and so covered in the CCL training classes just not codified) These would have either provided additional consideration to those cases above to desist using their firearms or result in crimminal charges afterwards. One is actually trained to retreat/de-escalate from verbal confrontation which do not arise from an initial crimminal action by the other person.

Another subject is the notion of using equal force to meet the force applied. As someone mentioned on the defensive carry forum...."Just because someone whipped your ass is no reason to use a firearm." Equal force being the qualifier. No one would expect an elderly person to go mano-a-mano with a youth.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:

He tried to flee.

I don't think anyone would have had an issue if that kid had felt the need to shoot his aggressor. My issue is not the law itself should be repealed but redone to state exactly what can be considered a threat to your life. Getting your ass beat should not be cause unless the physical differences in size, and weight determine the damage to yourself will be life threatening.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Lets be really honest with ourselves here. How many real masters of martial arts do we have around who could actually do that? Most dojos teach dojo martials arts which is pretty useless outside a controlled environment. Sure if will help you if the person can't fight, but it's not going to turn you into Neo and allow you to engage 50 people at once either. At best you learn enough to keep someone from harming you so you can get away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies