Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times

Advertisements

And yet, people continue to reject the exact approach that has worked in the DC area, and insist that it should follow the "lead" of high-unemployment, low education, poor health states. It's to the point where states openly refuse to take on jobs, and instead insist on laying people off.

Crabs in a bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
http://histoforum.digischool.nl/lesmateriaal/animalfarm.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Yes but everyone else "got theirs" so alls great in America, apparently.

Selfishness and narcissism, no wonder Congress and lobbyists laugh all the way to the bank. There is no hope for change.
in the meantime, americans continue to suffer. i saw this on obamacare in florida:

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office forecasts that the Affordable Care Act will "significantly increase" mandatory health-care spending from $26 billion this year to $161 billion in 2022.

Overall, the CBO pegs the price tag at $2.6 trillion -- a far cry from Obama's initial projections of multibillion-dollar savings.

“Bill Nelson promised that Obamacare would lower health-care costs, but due to the burdensome law he helped pass, Floridians are already paying an average of 9 percent more for health insurance,” said National Republican Senatorial Committee spokesman Jahan Wilcox.

A national survey last fall found that health-insurance premiums paid by employers rose sharply in the preceding 12 months, with the average annual cost of family coverage surpassing $15,000 for the first time.

i bet americans are sick of all these "firsts", especially highest gas prices ever for march. look at the chart of the price jump in just one month:

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

this is hitting average americans very hard, and i can tell you that they are going to be tired of hearing how well things are going for those in washington DC.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
DC does well because of the military industrial complex. Some of the nation's largest employers have a glut of employees here: Lockheed Martin, NG, et. al. A two income civil servant family, at most, is pulling down $200,000. Sounds fabulous, I know. That will not get you a McMansion here. The government contractors (beltway bandits) are who has all the money. If you saw what their mid-to-upper management positions make (all paid for by Uncle Sam, mind you, because they don't make a product Joe Citizen can buy) would flip you out.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 03-21-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Recruiters have contacted me everyday this week for jobs. The economy is pretty good here which begs the question why are there so many deadbeats in the area?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Recruiters have contacted me everyday this week for jobs. The economy is pretty good here which begs the question why are there so many deadbeats in the area?
Do you define anyone who isn't contacted by recruiters a deadbeat? What industry are you in? What recruiters are calling you?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Sure it does because we havenot cutanyhtig and spendin gconines to grao.Just the same as teachers didn't feeel teh recessio for two years until the so called infrastruture and jobs stimulus ranout.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It's true. I live in the DC Area in the third richest county in America in Howard County. I can tell you that most of the massive wealth out here is artificial. DC is not Detroit in the 50's. This whole region is pretty much on the welfare that is overpaid paper-pushing federal jobs. It is appalling to see Department of Defense stickers on every other brand new Hummer, Benz and BMW. Huge multi-million dollar homes with three car garages belong to a family that is headed by two "civil servants". This term is an oxymoron when discussing federal workers because these overpaid seat warmers don't really help anybody. Nobody even picks up the phone when you call a government run agency. Overpaid federal workers are the new aristocracy. You can also easily get rich out here selling things to this entitled unsavory gentry class. Their decadence has also caused DC to be the shopaholic city in America. People out here have so much money they don't know what to do with it. In addition, it is no surprise that DC is the cocaine use capital of the United States and also leads the nation in alcohol abuse. DC is not just drunk off of power, folks.

D.C. No. 1 in Cocaine Use - City Desk

America's Most Shopaholic City: Washington D.C.!

D.C. Adults Top Alcohol Abusers in Country | NBC4 Washington

If you drive about an hour in any direction, you see how much poorer people are outside of DC and its suburbs where all the federal workers live. Baltimore is surely not seeing all that great welfare because every other rowhome in Baltimore is abandoned and boarded up; I don't see that changing any time soon. DC does not deserve its massive wealth. 1 out of 12 people in DC is a lawyer for God's sake. At least highly paid geeks in Silicon Valley are producing technology that is continuing to revolutionize the way people live and communicate the world over. DC paper pushers, lobbyists and redtapers produce NOTHING but hassle and headache for the common working man in the private sector who contributes to society and pays taxes.

Wow, where do i begin to dissect this rant. DC serves a big purpose in the grand scheme of things. The next time you eat, take meds, get on a plane or train or look at your 401k, thank a federal worker for looking out for you. If not, we would all be flying planes made in China or eating tainted meat, losing our retirement or taking untested medicine.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Wow, where do i begin to dissect this rant. DC serves a big purpose in the grand scheme of things. The next time you eat, take meds, get on a plane or train or look at your 401k, thank a federal worker for looking out for you. If not, we would all be flying planes made in China or eating tainted meat, losing our retirement or taking untested medicine.
I was wondering if I should tackle his/her rant as well. It was hard to keep reading after I read the part where he/she couldn't believe all the BMW's, Hummers, etc. with "DoD stickers" on them. I've lived in DC/DC Metro for quite a while and I can't ever recall actually laying eyes on a "DoD sticker." Judging from the poster's assertion, you'd think those stickers are neon orange and 1 square foot in size. Does he/she go around looking for these things? It sure sounds like it.

I'm a small government type, but I disagree with the notion that government doesn't produce anything other than hassle and headaches. My experience with government aerospace/aviation officials is that they truly are highly-skilled professionals.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Do you define anyone who isn't contacted by recruiters a deadbeat? What industry are you in? What recruiters are calling you?
I think what he is alluding to is that there is a population there that insists that the economy is the reason that they can not get their life together occupationally or financially. As a former resident (also likely a future resident) I can vouch for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies