Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

The entire conservative persona is based on fear of something. Once you get past the paper thin macho exterior you find that most conservatives are on the verge of wetting their pants with fear. This is just some of the things that keeps conservatives cowering under the bed:

1. The government is going to take our guns, declare martial law, send us to FEMA camps, et al.

2. Gay people are going to be treated as equal members of society - impending doom will be the result.

3. A woman somewhere is having sex while using birth control solely for her own pleasure.

4. If the US does not pre-emptively kill every Muslim, Mexican, and/or black person on the planet, something bad is eventually going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Punction was used for a purpose. You seem to want to say something about the meaning of it, but are unwilling.
Unwilling? I brought it up for a reason. I'm here to debate it. The question is, are you?

Quote:
You raised the topic of the meaning of the punctuation, so go ahead and make the point you want to make about its meaning. Why raise it and ask me to discuss it when you're the one trying to make a point?
I did after noticing an ignorance on the subject of people choosing to "summarize" bill of rights, coupled with no desire to respond to my very first question that asked to elaborate on the part that is almost always ignored.

Now may be the time to go about it, so you won't stupidly accuse me of being "unwilling"? I'm waiting for your response. Now... I understand if you don't have the time. You haven't had time to post anything logical since we started here.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
First of all, Obama has not even said one thing about taking guns away the whole time he has been in office. second of all, if anyone tried to take all guns away, it goes against the 2nd amendment and would be taken to court and third, I do not know anyone that wants all guns taken away. if anything, we just want gun law reform meaning things like backround checks when buying a gun or taking fingerprints or something, NOT taking all guns away.
You must of living in a cave, because there is absolutely NO WAY on this planet that anyone can think that liberals don't want guns taken away from private citizens... absolutely NO FREAKING WAY that you can think that... From DC to Chicago, the liberals have made it illegal to purchase or even own guns... it took Republicans to fight back against those laws... how can anyone say that those with liberal ideologies don't want guns taken away? Obama himself has advocated for stricter gun control laws only because he would lose in a fight to take away all guns, its not because he doesn't want to, its because he can't...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Unwilling? I brought it up for a reason. I'm here to debate it. The question is, are you?

I did after noticing an ignorance on the subject of people choosing to "summarize" bill of rights, coupled with no desire to respond to my very first question that asked to elaborate on the part that is almost always ignored.

Now may be the time to go about it, so you won't stupidly accuse me of being "unwilling"? I'm waiting for your response. Now... I understand if you don't have the time. You haven't had time to post anything logical since we started here.
Since we're on the subject of punctuation, this may help. In general, if you wish to make a statement of your position, it typically ends in a period. If you're asking me a question rather than stating your position, it typically ends in a question mark.

You have raised the point that punctuation is meaningful and I have agreed. If you think I'm missing part of the meaning of the amendment, why not state what you think I'm missing?

For example,"if you look at the punctuation in the amendment, the framers use ____ in this part because they meant x which is often misconstrued as y." That way, I will know what it is you wish to discuss.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
Quote:
And that, after all this run around. I know, I can be difficult. But y'all make it way too easy.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Since we're on the subject of punctuation, this may help. In general, if you wish to make a statement of your position, it typically ends in a period. If you're asking me a question rather than stating your position, it typically ends in a question mark.
I was a bit worried about that, given the extensive use of semi-colons instead of periods. No wonder y'all are stuck.

Quote:
You have raised the point that punctuation is meaningful and I have agreed. If you think I'm missing part of the meaning of the amendment, why not state what you think I'm missing?
An answer to my question asked dozens of posts ago: What does the first part of the second amendment entail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Except that I would feel bad for the fish, if I had to do it.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The entire conservative persona is based on fear of something. Once you get past the paper thin macho exterior you find that most conservatives are on the verge of wetting their pants with fear. This is just some of the things that keeps conservatives cowering under the bed:

1. The government is going to take our guns, declare martial law, send us to FEMA camps, et al.

2. Gay people are going to be treated as equal members of society - impending doom will be the result.

3. A woman somewhere is having sex while using birth control solely for her own pleasure.

4. If the US does not pre-emptively kill every Muslim, Mexican, and/or black person on the planet, something bad is eventually going to happen.
WOW..are you out of touch. MSNBC propaganda is not a good representation of any facts, let alone the opinion of its viewers.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
I was a bit worried about that, given the extensive use of semi-colons instead of periods. No wonder y'all are stuck.

An answer to my question asked dozens of posts ago: What does the first part of the second amendment entail?

Except that I would feel bad for the fish, if I had to do it.
I'll say the same thing I said then:
"I understand that it provides a rationale for the final part.. I also understand and am aware of different takes on each part. Broadly, the amendment was designed as a check on the power of the federal government and it's forces by protecting the ability of citizens to resist. If you have something specific you wish to state as a point, please do so."

You have yet to state anything you think other than some people leave off the first part and punctuation has meaning - both of which I don't dispute.

Either make the point about the first part you believe that people are missing, or just admit that you're willing to ask questions and allude to something but are not quite willing to put yourself out there and make a statement about what you think.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I'll say the same thing I said then:
"I understand that it provides a rationale for the final part.. I also understand and am aware of different takes on each part. Broadly, the amendment was designed as a check on the power of the federal government and it's forces by protecting the ability of citizens to resist. If you have something specific you wish to state as a point, please do so."

You have yet to state anything you think other than some people leave off the first part and punctuation has meaning - both of which I don't dispute.

Either make the point about the first part you believe that people are missing, or just admit that you're willing to ask questions and allude to something but are not quite willing to put yourself out there and make a statement about what you think.
The question was: Would you explain the often (conveniently, if not ignorantly) left part of the second amendment that it begins with?

Hint: I'm not looking for the purpose of Bill of Rights, or anything along the lines.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
#1 Operation Fast & Furious - #2 Hillary Clinton wants a world wide ban on firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies