Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times

Advertisements

I feel more threats to my freedoms from private corporations far more than I fear the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,508 times
So .....glad that I don't even use Facebook.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times
I think an employer has the right to check information that is in the public domain but passwords are not ok. They can't poke around my apartment either.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
So .....glad that I don't even use Facebook.

Exactly. Stealth is the way to go

Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,039 times
1-2 Fine
3 They would have a hard verifing the BJW50 they find is indeed me.
4-6 Unacceptable

Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Companies Require Facebook Password During Interview | FOX8.com

There are a bunch of similar stories out there ATM. OK first lets throw out all the unusual jobs like ones requiring a top secret clearance or credit check for a CFO, etc. That is a different job, I get it.

When interviewing, should employers be allowed to:

1) Run a credit check
2) Google your name and see what comes up.
3) Verify the public FB page they found of you is actually you. Lets say they googled it above and found it that way. NO LOGIN
4) Ask for your FB login
5) Ask to see your email login
6) Ask to install a remote access program on your computer.

Disclosure: I have not heard of #6 in any of the stories. I threw it in to take things 1 step further.

Anyway I would go 1N 2Y 3Y 4 N 5N 6N
1) Corporations do. If you worked in upper mgmnt in banking, or financial services sector a credit check plus investigation/criminal background check

2) by law they cannot ask you about medical issues or if you have children, etc. That is discrimanation, HOWEVER if they see something in your info they dont like they simply will hire a different candidate.

3) The FB issue is ridiculous although I've heard some do check it. B of A used to send memorandums out demanding employees not post negative opinions on [domain blocked due to spam].com, etc. lol.

Is this fair? no, but they can ask it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Default When interviewing should employers be allowed to ask for facebook PW and...

I think if it's your personal info. nobody should have a right to access it unless the job warranted such info.

Personally I wouldn't put anything on FB that I wouldn't want anyone to see.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Companies Require Facebook Password During Interview | FOX8.com

There are a bunch of similar stories out there ATM. OK first lets throw out all the unusual jobs like ones requiring a top secret clearance or credit check for a CFO, etc. That is a different job, I get it.

When interviewing, should employers be allowed to:

1) Run a credit check
2) Google your name and see what comes up.
3) Verify the public FB page they found of you is actually you. Lets say they googled it above and found it that way. NO LOGIN
4) Ask for your FB login
5) Ask to see your email login
6) Ask to install a remote access program on your computer.

Disclosure: I have not heard of #6 in any of the stories. I threw it in to take things 1 step further.

Anyway I would go 1N 2Y 3Y 4 N 5N 6N
Here are my thoughts:

1. Running a credit check is fine, especially for any jobs with financial implications.

2. Googling my name is fine. But before they make any determination, they should also determine that anything they are able to see may or may NOT be true.

3. I have my FB page set to private. There is nothing much there anyway. I also use a different email for FB than my professional email.

4. & 5. No passwords. I would explain to them that passwords are meant to be confidential and that I would also keep company info such as internal passwords just as confidential.

6. Not sure about the remote access program. If it's only so I can access their network from my home computer, maybe. If it's for them to monitor MY PERSONAL computer use, no. It's my computer. I bought it, I pay for my internet. My property, my business. Their property, their business.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I feel more threats to my freedoms from private corporations far more than I fear the government.

I don't have any special trust for corporations. But the obvious big difference is that you can generally decline to interface with a private corporation. You don't have to work for them, buy from them, etc. When it comes to government, you don't have that choice. If it's a state or local government, you can move, but if it's something at the federal level, you are literally stuck.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
It would be interesting to be interesting to get a study of what kind of companies are doing this. If it's a small or medium company, they are going to be looking for aggressive, innovative, intelligent employees in order to bring more success to their company. In other words the type of individual who would not only refuse to turn over their password, but might walk out of the interview if it was even requested. If it's a large behemoth corp with lots of lobbyists and rent-seeking schemes, then the policy would fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies