Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

Companies Require Facebook Password During Interview | FOX8.com

There are a bunch of similar stories out there ATM. OK first lets throw out all the unusual jobs like ones requiring a top secret clearance or credit check for a CFO, etc. That is a different job, I get it.

When interviewing, should employers be allowed to:

1) Run a credit check
2) Google your name and see what comes up.
3) Verify the public FB page they found of you is actually you. Lets say they googled it above and found it that way. NO LOGIN
4) Ask for your FB login
5) Ask to see your email login
6) Ask to install a remote access program on your computer.

Disclosure: I have not heard of #6 in any of the stories. I threw it in to take things 1 step further.

Anyway I would go 1N 2Y 3Y 4 N 5N 6N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Anything you place in the public domain is fair game. "No" to all the rest.

I hired dozens over the years. Private lives are, well, private. I would have never asked or wanted to know.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
I heard Judge Napolitano discuss this yesterday. Basically, the Government does not have the right to ask you these questions, but the private sector does. You have the freedom to not provide it.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
NPR featured a special report about this yesterday. Unless I had been posting comments about my employer or a client of my employer or employees with whom I worked, I don't think I'd disclose my social media activities to my employer. However, if I was active on the internet during work time then my employer, by policy already in place, has the right to monitor my social media activity which takes place from the office and when I use company computers and IT infrastructure. I can be disciplined and/or discharged for violating the policy. I will be reluctant to surrender screen names, other social media personal identifying information and, in particular, account passwords with which my employer could delve into my personal life beyond the employer/employee relationship. I'm no lawyer, but I suspect some of this will not stand a court challenge.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
I would decline. It is invasive. If you look at a eula, many hold you liable for handing over your account login info.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

There are a bunch of similar stories out there ATM. OK first lets throw out all the unusual jobs like ones requiring a top secret clearance or credit check for a CFO, etc. That is a different job, I get it.

1) Run a credit check
No. All a 'good credit score' says is that you pay your bills on time, not HOW you managed to do it without a job.
Quote:
Considering that my name (and even some of the screen names I've used over the years) brings up at least half a dozen different people, I'd say that would be rather pointless, at least in my case. But, as my brother the computer expert in our family, said many times: "If you don't want it known about you, don't post it on the internet!"
Quote:
3) Verify the public FB page they found of you is actually you. Lets say they googled it above and found it that way. NO LOGIN
Again, if there's something I don't want known - by a potential employer or by my next door neighbor, I don't put it on the internet in the first place. If, during a job interview, a potential employer pulls up my Facebook page and asks if it's me, of course I'm not going to deny anything I've ever posted. Even if they happen across anything I've posted here on C-D.
Quote:
4) Ask for your FB login
Nope. 1. It's against Facebook's rules to give you login info to ANYONE. 2. Giving away your login info is a good way to get your account hacked.
Quote:
Again, nope. My email is just that - MY email.
Quote:
Since I'm not sure exactly what that means, I'd have to say no to that one.

Quote:
Disclosure: I have not heard of #6 in any of the stories. I threw it in to take things 1 step further.

Looks like we've come up with the same answers. I just went a bit further in explaining them.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,836 times
Quote:

1) Run a credit check
Oh hell no; none of their business and an infringement of my privacy.
Quote:
I don't have a problem with this, it's a free country.
Quote:
If they find me on the 'net by any public means the information is fair game. Google yourself, know what's out there.
Quote:
4) Ask for your FB login
Absolutely no right, even if it is "legal" to have my login and/or password. Just what I need is a bunch of dildoes with my logon information. Huge breach of security and privacy.
Quote:
Absolutely not, unless we are talking about the business email I use while conducting business on their behalf my employer has no right to invade my priacy.
Quote:
I don't like it, but if you're referring to a work computer then I believe they have the right.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
>Since I'm not sure exactly what that means, I'd have to say no to that one.<
There are programs out there that allow you to look around in and min many cases launch programs from a remote (IE YOUR) computer.
>I don't like it, but if you're referring to a work computer then I believe they have the right.<
I mean your computer at home. I always assume and have zero problem with a company logging stuff on THEIR computers, even email. I simply don't write anything remotely interesting from work. Its not difficult. I just take it as a given.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:

1) Run a credit check
4) Ask for your FB login

No to facebook, yes to criminal background and credit check.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:

1) Run a credit check
4) Ask for your FB login

Definitely no to Facebook, credit checks, and emails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies