Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The situation in Afghanistan now is similar to Vietnam in its latter days, while I was there. None of us wanted to be the last to die for a failed cause either, but we were there and still doing what was asked of us, whether we liked it or not. Sometimes, we'd rebel against our military leaders, and a lot of guys blamed Nixon unfairly, but anybody who suggested we could just quit obeying orders because we didn't like the President would buy himself a fast ticket to the Long Binh Jail.
Like I said. They don't want to be there. They HAVE to. Its their DUTY.

(I was in Nam earlier, 67-68. Big Red One. Tet time.)

Old 03-24-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying Obama has done nothing wrong. He has. He is no more perfect than you or I and we have no right to hold him to a standard we cannot meet ourselves.
There is no way to validate your statement except for one of us to become President. But he's our President. He's supposed to be our best guy, remember? The man acts like he never took History 101 in college.

Quote:
But, he's playing the hand he was dealt and I don't know what else anyone thinks he could have done better.
Here you go: he can pull the troops out. Start Monday. Because it isn't going to get any better. Or do you have a better idea?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about (a point you seem determined to hammer home).

Here -- educate yourself (note that I'm linking to dictionaries, not some random website):

de·moc·ra·cy   /dɪˈmɒkrəsi/ Show Spelled[dih-mok-ruh-see] Show IPA
noun, plural -cies. 1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.

Democracy | Define Democracy at Dictionary.com

Definition of DEMOCRACY1
a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Democracy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy (d-mkr-s)n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies 1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
2. A political or social unit that has such a government.

democracy - definition of democracy by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

democracy
Pronunciation:
/dɪˈmɒkrəsi/
noun (plural democracies)
[mass noun]
  • a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives: a system of parliamentary democracy
  • [count noun] a state governed under a system of democracy: a multiparty democracy
  • control of an organization or group by the majority of its members: the intended extension of industrial democracy
  • the practice or principles of social equality: demands for greater democracy
Definition for democracy - Oxford Dictionaries Online (World English)

Note:
I didn't search for some random guy on the internet who agreed with me, I just googled "dictionary democracy" and took the first four different links that came up.

English words have definitions. Learn them. You'll find discussions so much easier then.
So, in other words, this is democracy.....four wolves and one sheep voting on what's for dinner.

We are NOT a democracy. If we were, 0b0mbacare wouldn't have been passed.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Then I hope they enjoy prison.
There are ways around it. They say an oath to uphold the constitution, not a brutal, bloodthirsty dictator like Obama is.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Maybe you do, maybe you don't. But of the two of us, you are the only one advocating its military overthrow.

The assertion that the Founders would be in favor of a military coup is insane. There is no other appropriate word.

Odd... I thought you just said you knew that Constitution? Because it tells you right in Article 1.

The Congress does.
I know that they are supposed to, but they are not.

What is the answer?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Don't worry about the Sergeant. FOX will hire him as a commentator within a month.
I don't think so. Fox wants to stay popular in the military viewers. But the guy will become another wingnut blogger and have his say while nobody listens. Just another guy on a soap box in an empty park.

I sure would not have wanted him as a shipmate. In fact, if he had spewed that garbage when I was in service, I would have reported him in a flea-bit second.
As much as I grew to hate the Viet Nam war while I was serving, I kept my opinions to myself, on board or ashore, in uniform or in civvies, until I was discharged. All my shipmates did too, at least when I was around them, and we all got asked questions about 'Nam when we were on the beach in foreign countries.

This guy should have never been in the Corps in the first place. I'll concede that he may have developed his opinions after he enlisted, and may have been a passable Marine for some time, as he is a sergeant. But he's not fit any longer, has shown his true colors, and he has shamed the Corps. They will never forgive him. Honor is the lifeblood of the Corps. Semper Fidalis, Semper Sid Patriae. Always Faithful, Not Self But Country. Those mottos of the Navy and the Marines didn't come cheaply.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Like I said. They don't want to be there. They HAVE to. Its their DUTY.

(I was in Nam earlier, 67-68. Big Red One. Tet time.)

Well...yes and no. We didn't HAVE to be there any more than do the troops today. We had options to avoid military service if we wanted to, we just didn't exercise them.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
There is no way to validate your statement except for one of us to become President. But he's our President. He's supposed to be our best guy, remember? The man acts like he never took History 101 in college.
Why should he know his history any better than any other American? We've never been a country of history buffs and still aren't. I'll bet, though, that he knows more about it than the majority of people who voted in the last election.

Harry Truman once said if a man wants to be President, there are 3 things he should study: History, history, history. That's a fine ideal, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a candidate who has a history major.

Quote:
Here you go: he can pull the troops out. Start Monday. Because it isn't going to get any better. Or do you have a better idea?
It's really not that simple.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There are ways around it. They say an oath to uphold the constitution, not a brutal, bloodthirsty dictator like Obama is.
Oh, please. :roll eyes:

"Brutal, bloodthirsty dictator?" Do you even know what a truly brutal, bloodthirsty dictator looks like?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Well...yes and no. We didn't HAVE to be there any more than do the troops today. We had options to avoid military service if we wanted to, we just didn't exercise them.
You missed my point, I think. I thought we all assumed that because the Marines are indeed in the Corps -- not pondering whether to join -- they have to follow orders....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies