Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,791,297 times

Advertisements

Read the truth here

The EPA wanted to fine these landowners 75 THOUSAND dollars per day.

For five years they hounded these people.

Me thinks the FEDS should pay 75 thousand per day to the land owners!!

The EPA should be abolished !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
I believe that the Supreme Court is one third of the "Fed".

Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM

13,695 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Here is a link to the actual decision, for all my little legal eagles.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-1062.pdf

Let us see who can determined exactly what the Court held in the majority opinon.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,195,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
The EPA should be abolished !!
Been to industrial areas of China lately? There's a reason why the EPA exists. Go google China pollution pictures and you'll see why.

In terms of the ruling in question, it says that the EPA has to setup an appeal process, not that these people will still get to fill in wetlands. It's unfortunate the home owner didn't do their due diligence before trying to develop the land.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,292,807 times
I see you have been drinking the kool aide again. Since lower courts have repedeatly sided with the EPA on this issue they won't win.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,751,302 times
This is a joke. This land is just a few miles north of me and their fill piles have cattails growing around them. They own an excavation company and they absolutely knew that their lot was wetlands. They also had all the equipment to put the land back the way the EPA wanted it to avoid paying exorbitant fines. They were making a point.

Though I do believe the EPA can be very heavyhanded. But in this particular case, the Sackett's knew exactly what they were doing. You can't be an excavator in these parts and not know a wetlands when you see it. The presence of cattails and Douglass Spirea alone (wetland indicator plants) would have clued them in. Not to mention the marshes surrounding the land.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I see you have been drinking the kool aide again. Since lower courts have repedeatly sided with the EPA on this issue they won't win.
Lmao!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,123,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Here is a link to the actual decision, for all my little legal eagles.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-1062.pdf

Let us see who can determined exactly what the Court held in the majority opinon.

Looks like SCOTUS said they could bring a civil action against the EPA...right?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,123,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
Yes, they are and have posted something very interesting. Supreme court made a good decision and one that is against the EPA. What say you? Good decision or not? Do you think the EPA oversteps their boundaries occasionally, or do you disagree with the supreme court?

If I'm reading it correctly, the SCOTUS said that they can bring a civil action against the EPA.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM

398 posts, read 819,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
This is a joke. This land is just a few miles north of me and their fill piles have cattails growing around them. They own an excavation company and they absolutely knew that their lot was wetlands. They also had all the equipment to put the land back the way the EPA wanted it to avoid paying exorbitant fines. They were making a point.
It was classified as a wetlands only after the people had bought the land. legally, and after they had worked on the land. At some point, somehow, the EPA became involved and stomped on their right to own their land and build their home. Have heard arguments about the Keystone Pipeline saying that peoples land would be taken (though in that case they get money for having a pipeline cross their land) and how unfair that would be. What is the difference in this situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies