Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,046,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
If Texas were to secede, I'd proudly relocate to the United States. I'm an American and intend to stay one.

If Texas seceded, it would be a single-party state controlled by the Texas Republican Party and they would feel free to do whatever they pleased without any checks or balances (Texas Supreme Court is partisan). That thought alone terrifies me. It would turn into a Theocracy fast.
Yep...Taliban in the making....maybe we could name IT "Retardistan"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,074,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I don't think there is anyone here that realizes Texas was a Nation before it was a State. The Texas Constitution has remained the same and keeps the right to once again become a nation. It still calls Texas, the Republic of Texas, not the State of Texas.

Not in the boundaries set today, that define Texas. The boundaries that included Oklahoma and part of what is now Colorado.

One of the most famous lies to be perpetuated in history. There is no such clause, claim or assertion within the Texas Constitution.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
If Texas were to secede, I'd proudly relocate to the United States. I'm an American and intend to stay one.

If Texas seceded, it would be a single-party state controlled by the Texas Republican Party and they would feel free to do whatever they pleased without any checks or balances (Texas Supreme Court is partisan). That thought alone terrifies me. It would turn into a Theocracy fast.
If Texas were to secede I would become part of the larger "guerrilla" army to attack this "new" country until it would be invaded and reclaimed by the United States. The ultra extreme Republican's and their clergy would come to clearly understand the 'Don't tread on me' expression.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 PM

933 posts, read 1,528,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Yep...Taliban in the making....maybe we could name IT "Retardistan"
Rick Perry could be the local version of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Now THAT was funny! Wish I could rep you more than once!!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,778,661 times
Quote:
And then people can make up lies like he wants to attack Washington DC and wipe that city off the face of the map.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And then people can make up lies like he wants to attack Washington DC and wipe that city off the face of the map.
Rick Perry probably would want that. No need for people to lie.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM

14,856 posts, read 8,169,231 times
Quote:

You seem to really have no concept of reality.

You do realize that Texas has its own government, its own laws, and its own constitution.

It is true that Texas is a relatively conservative state compared to many, but conservative is a relative term.

Take for instance Oklahoma. Many see Oklahoma as either the most conservative state or one of the most conservative states in the country. In 2008, all 77 counties in Oklahoma went for McCain, in an election that wasn't even close.

But, Oklahoma has a long history of electing democrats for governors and other state representatives. Of the last ten governors of Oklahoma, half were democrats and half were republicans.

Another great example is Bill Clinton, who was the governor of a very conservative Arkansas. If we look at Texas, of the last seven governors, three were democrats.

How is this possible? Because the democrats of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are not the democrats of Massachusetts. So while we vote for conservatives in the national elections. In state elections, both parties stand a chance.

If Texas were to secede, I don't think Texas would change radically. I do believe they would address some key issues like abortion, gun-rights, gay-marriage, and immigration. But I do not believe that the state would become radicalized as a sort of theocracy.

I actually think Texas would become much more subdued if it were to secede. It could not be nearly as militaristic as it is today. I think Texas would pursue a much more humble foreign policy than it seems interested in today. Largely because it would want to keep down taxes, while making sure it was competitive in the global market.

I'm not sure what would happen to Texas' real estate market. If there were large numbers of people leaving the state, then real estate could take a massive crap, which would take a lot of jobs with it, causing a short recession. But, if a lot of people were streaming into Texas, it would bring a surge of jobs. Further bolstering the high economic growth in Texas.

I can't lie, I would be interested in moving to Texas if it was to secede. But I wouldn't want to revoke my US citizenship.

But the reality is that, I don't think secession is necessary. The key is the 14th amendment. I'm tellin ya.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You seem to really have no concept of reality.

You do realize that Texas has its own government, its own laws, and its own constitution.

It is true that Texas is a relatively conservative state compared to many, but conservative is a relative term.

Take for instance Oklahoma. Many see Oklahoma as either the most conservative state or one of the most conservative states in the country. In 2008, all 77 counties in Oklahoma went for McCain, in an election that wasn't even close.

But, Oklahoma has a long history of electing democrats for governors and other state representatives. Of the last ten governors of Oklahoma, half were democrats and half were republicans.

Another great example is Bill Clinton, who was the governor of a very conservative Arkansas. If we look at Texas, of the last seven governors, three were democrats.

How is this possible? Because the democrats of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are not the democrats of Massachusetts. So while we vote for conservatives in the national elections. In state elections, both parties stand a chance.

If Texas were to secede, I don't think Texas would change radically. I do believe they would address some key issues like abortion, gun-rights, gay-marriage, and immigration. But I do not believe that the state would become radicalized as a sort of theocracy.

I actually think Texas would become much more subdued if it were to secede. It could not be nearly as militaristic as it is today. I think Texas would pursue a much more humble foreign policy than it seems interested in today. Largely because it would want to keep down taxes, while making sure it was competitive in the global market.

I'm not sure what would happen to Texas' real estate market. If there were large numbers of people leaving the state, then real estate could take a massive crap, which would take a lot of jobs with it, causing a short recession. But, if a lot of people were streaming into Texas, it would bring a surge of jobs. Further bolstering the high economic growth in Texas.

I can't lie, I would be interested in moving to Texas if it was to secede. But I wouldn't want to revoke my US citizenship.

But the reality is that, I don't think secession is necessary. The key is the 14th amendment. I'm tellin ya.
Have you ever looked at the platform for the Texas GOP?

Here's a Snapshot

Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,778,661 times
Quote:
Rick Perry probably would want that. No need for people to lie.
lol He wouldn't want to bomb them. Just inoculate them. You know, for their own good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies