Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The free movement of people through borders is a free market principle. I find it hypocritical why some who boast about free market this and free market that when they are the same ones who wouldn't throw a fit of an idea of opening up our borders.
Then get rid of social welfare. You want open borders then don't hand out government money.

The free market involves taxes. Open borders does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
You can have sovereignty with open borders. As long as someone doesn't show a risk to national security, let them through.

Europe does it. It doesn't have a problem with it.
Having done a lot of work in Europe, I can tell you that they have a lot of complaints about it. Specifically, it has made it easy for criminal elements from former Eastern Bloc countries to move through Europe and expand their operation. In northern Europe, someone can steal a car and have it on a ferry and in another country very quickly. The more prosperous countries had an influx of people who aren't qualified for many jobs, and they generally haven't served as an asset to the new society.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM

155 posts, read 134,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Having done a lot of work in Europe, I can tell you that they have a lot of complaints about it. Specifically, it has made it easy for criminal elements from former Eastern Bloc countries to move through Europe and expand their operation. In northern Europe, someone can steal a car and have it on a ferry and in another country very quickly. The more prosperous countries had an influx of people who aren't qualified for many jobs, and they generally haven't served as an asset to the new society.
With respect to the OP...they do not understand this! I am not into guns, religion, pickup trucks etc. I am not some right wing guy who flys the flag every time he gets the chance. But I will say this. We are not Europe! Most of Europe does not respect freedom and liberty to the extent that the USA does.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
The free movement of people through borders is a free market principle. I find it hypocritical why some who boast about free market this and free market that when they are the same ones who wouldn't throw a fit of an idea of opening up our borders.
Because each nation has their own laws or lack of laws.

In our case they are being broken by illegals with ID theft, no insurace to drive, no liscence to drive, taking work away from others without taxes being paid and lots of EBT going around with lots of anchor babies.

End it, don't mend it.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Milton Friedman said it best to paraphrase; You can haven open borders or a welfare state but you can't have both.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
I'm not all for opening up our borders entirely, for the sake of protection, but for employment, absolutely.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
How do open borders and foreign national's consuming social benefits equate to a free market? Free market means the freedom to do business, not the freedom to suck resources at the expense of the host country. It isn't that hard to understand, really.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

These are often the same people who wouldn't open their neighborhood to low-income housing. Why should borders be any different?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
I think the OP is right. I've contemplated this before and come to the conclusion that while moderation is of course possible on both sides, the two go hand in hand. Many of the modern day problems with immigration would be substantially less problematic under a freer market as well.

There is however no incompatibility between a relatively free market and some type of restriction on immigration, as long as those restrictions are not put in place with the intent of limiting immigration simply for the sake of limiting immigration. I will leave the fantasies of a completely lawless and tax-free society to the anarchists. Free market is a relative term OP.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 PM

155 posts, read 134,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I think the OP is right. I've contemplated this before and come to the conclusion that while moderation is of course possible on both sides, the two go hand in hand. Many of the modern day problems with immigration would be substantially less problematic under a freer market as well.

There is however no incompatibility between a relatively free market and some type of restriction on immigration, as long as those restrictions are not put in place with the intent of limiting immigration simply for the sake of limiting immigration. I will leave the fantasies of a completely lawless and tax-free society to the anarchists. Free market is a relative term OP.
There is one simple way to make a big impact on illegal immigration. Allow illegal immigrants to sue their employers for paying under the minimum wage, poor working conditions under OSHA, working over the government limit of hours per day and week. Right now as it stands we have a form of slavery in which the illegal immigrants are taken advantage of and the American worker is put out of a job by people who should not even be in the country.

This will of course not fix the border which needs top security (including a wall) to prevent criminals, drugs, drug cartels and terrorists from comming in. The issue of how many people should be allowed in legally needs many factors. Here are some I have thought of.

A) Resources. More people means more demand for gasoline, electricity, schools, etc. Some seem to forget this point.

B) Unemployment. Why would you add more people when you do not have enough work for those here now?

C) The future costs to medicare and social security. Some will say that growth population is the way to save SS and medicare and that immigration is the way for that growth. But what happens when they retire? That then goes back to point A. Do we want quality of life or quantity in the country?

The point is that there are valid reasons to question the number comming in. Being allowed in the USA is a privilage and not a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies