Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be able to refuse to marry same-sex couples?
Religious ministers (priests, pastors, rabbis, etc.) 77 86.52%
Individual judges 26 29.21%
Individual ministers-of-peace 31 34.83%
Entire companies devoted to marrying couples 29 32.58%
Entire counties 22 24.72%
Nobody 13 14.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There are already laws in place to deal with discrimination from businesses.
If you choose to own a business open to the public, you have to allow anyone to purchase your products, or services.
The fact there are laws does not make it right. Do you believe the Fugitive Slave Act was right? Do you believe Jim Crow laws were right?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." Thomas Jefferson from the Declaration of Independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact there are laws does not make it right. Do you believe the Fugitive Slave Act was right? Do you believe Jim Crow laws were right?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." Thomas Jefferson from the Declaration of Independence.
If you don't like the current laws YOU should fight to change them. I think that if you are open to the PUBLIC you should have to service any paying customer, unless they are causing a disturbance, then you should call the police.

How would you like it if your favorite restaurant stopped serving you because they didn't like something about you?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How would you like it if your favorite restaurant stopped serving you because they didn't like something about you?
I have no right to make a claim on someone else's property. The restaurant owner owns the property, and like a homeowner, should alllow on his property who he wishes to. I would not want to eat at a restaurant where I was disliked. Ya never know what goes on in the kitchen.

Given the fact that my classically liberal opinion based on natural rights has so little support the best I can do is express my opinion.

Ask yourself what were the inalienable rights Jefferson referred to in the Declaration of Independence.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
If a church doesn't want to marry someone for religious reasons, like that some believe homosexuality is wrong, then they should be able to refuse the service.

But the state, never. Actually, there should be no legal state sanctioned marriages

Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times
Default still failing to understand how this is a moral issue.

I'm gay, people are gay. get over it. it's not chosen.

I don't have any other choice but to be gay. for the life of me i can't understand why SOME STRAIGHT people think THEY should get a say IN MY LIFE when

1. this issue affects them in no way unless they have a gay family member or friend.

2. is quite frankely none of their business.

Why would you want to INCREASE human suffering for NO REASON.. and NO benefit to you?

the gay person's personal life is affected drastically and you get NO BENEFIT from it other than being able to point to someone and say that you're better than them because you get a special right that some don't get.

again, being gay is NOT chosen, so only WE have to live with the consequences of the gay marriage issue.

It's actually ANGERING to me that there are people PASSIONATELY against gay marriage.

WHY?

you're not gay. it doesn't affect you and it's none of your business.

a sexual orientation has NOTHING to do with morality. Morality has to do with how good of a person you are as far as how well you treat others.

If you don't like homosexuality, heterosexuality, bisexuality, black skin, blonde hair, left handedness... you don't get ANGRY with the person that has the trait that you find undesirable .. it was chosen by them..

who you're really angry with is God and/or Nature because these traits exist and you don't like them.

you can be angry with me or hostile towards me when i've punched you in the face, stolen or done something to YOU. ACTIONS that i've CHOSEN that bring HARM to you. homosexuality and every other unchosen trait is NONE of those THREE THINGS i've put in BOLD RIGHT ABOVE>

Old 03-24-2012, 09:50 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
What about going to a gay church to marry? They do exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21
If you don't like homosexuality, heterosexuality, bisexuality, black skin, blonde hair, left handedness... you don't get ANGRY with the person that has the trait that you find undesirable .. it was chosen by them..
Who is showing anger?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay, people are gay. get over it. it's not chosen.

I don't have any other choice but to be gay. for the life of me i can't understand why SOME STRAIGHT people think THEY should get a say IN MY LIFE when

1. this issue affects them in no way unless they have a gay family member or friend.

2. is quite frankely none of their business.

Why would you want to INCREASE human suffering for NO REASON.. and NO benefit to you?

the gay person's personal life is affected drastically and you get NO BENEFIT from it other than being able to point to someone and say that you're better than them because you get a special right that some don't get.

again, being gay is NOT chosen, so only WE have to live with the consequences of the gay marriage issue.

It's actually ANGERING to me that there are people PASSIONATELY against gay marriage.

WHY?

you're not gay. it doesn't affect you and it's none of your business.

a sexual orientation has NOTHING to do with morality. Morality has to do with how good of a person you are as far as how well you treat others.

who you're really angry with is God and/or Nature because these traits exist and you don't like them.

you can be angry with me or hostile towards me when i've punched you in the face, stolen or done something to YOU. ACTIONS that i've CHOSEN that bring HARM to you. homosexuality and every other unchosen trait is NONE of those THREE THINGS i've put in BOLD RIGHT ABOVE>
What does this have to do with the topic? who is angry? seek help.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What if there is a religious figure for it?
A religious figure for what?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
What about going to a gay church to marry? They do exist.

Who is showing anger?
Me, I'm showing anger at hostility and hatred towards innocent people, the people who are hostile towards other people's traits are showing hatred at PEOPLE for NO REASON.

so if someone punches me in the face and i get angry i'm an 'angry person'. and JUST LIKE the attacker? nice tactic.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
What does this have to do with the topic? who is angry? seek help.
um, many people are, considering there are many people who hate others for unchosen traits... it's called bigotry.

making sure someone can't have a right that you have BECAUSE of said trait.. is a loving act? not out of anger and hatred?

i guess the next time someone steals from me it will be out of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies