Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be able to refuse to marry same-sex couples?
Religious ministers (priests, pastors, rabbis, etc.) 77 86.52%
Individual judges 26 29.21%
Individual ministers-of-peace 31 34.83%
Entire companies devoted to marrying couples 29 32.58%
Entire counties 22 24.72%
Nobody 13 14.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,759,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Me, I'm showing anger at hostility and hatred towards innocent people, the people who are hostile towards other people's traits are showing hatred at PEOPLE for NO REASON.

so if someone punches me in the face and i get angry i'm an 'angry person'. and JUST LIKE the attacker? nice tactic.
Since the anger is from you then you need to start a thread about your anger because I see no reason for it be directed here, or you need to be more specific as to who you think is showing anger here on this board in this thread. Taking a poll just doesn't seem like anger to me. having opinions doens't seem like anger to me either. However, being violent towards people who are different from self is anger and hate. There are many different reasons as to why people have anger, hate and sometimes it involves bigotry. Allowing, as I previously posted, the clergy (religious leaders) mentioned in the poll is not bigotry, hate, or anger.

IMO, a lot of the gay marriage problems wouldn't exist if civil unions were recognized as gay marriage nationally the way marriage of straight people are.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 03-25-2012 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Either of the two people involved, only!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,054,854 times
I do not think anyone should be made to do anything against their own personal beliefs.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,748,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post

IMO, a lot of the gay marriage problems wouldn't exist if civil unions were recognized as gay marriage nationally the way marriage of straight people are.
Separate but equal never is. No one will call it civil unions, they will call it marriage, regardless of its legal name. So what would that accomplish short of giving religious extremists some sense of victory over treating gays like 2nd class?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,759,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Separate but equal never is. No one will call it civil unions, they will call it marriage, regardless of its legal name. So what would that accomplish short of giving religious extremists some sense of victory over treating gays like 2nd class?

Ok help me understand how calling it civil union makes gays a second class because I don't see it that way. Not when and if it is the same thing only just given a different name, unfortunately civil union is not the same or even recognized, respected, adhered to in every State and it should be. I keep thinking it has to be in a separate catagory just like marriage is in a separate catagory because it's a way of I think keeping track. Like with women having their last name changed to the mans last name - keeping track.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 589 times
Default Who should be able to refuse to marry same-sex couples?

Anyone should be able to refuse to marry same-sex couples. If anyone has moral issues with marrying same-sex couples then he/she should not HAVE to marry them. The couple can go to another person who has no problem with it and get married by him/her.
My whole view on this subject is that this issue is not for anyone to decide for anyone else. The goverment should not legalize OR illegalize same-sex marriage, the goverment should stay out of it alltogether. I am Catholic, and I am against same-sex marriage, but I am not going to try to make it illegal. As long as people are not trying to push their views on me or others, I do not care what they do. If no one is allowed to refuse to marry a same-sex couple, however, then I am going to oppose it.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,103,316 times
Anyone who has the power bestowed on them outside of the government. Anyone should be able to go to City Hall and get married by whoever, it's going to be legal thus part of the job of whatever judge/clerk does such things. As far as individuals go, and churches, it's up to them. Nobody can force them to "work".

It really going to be a moot point except for the occasions where someone is set up to be sued for discrimination. You know it will happen. It's got nothing to do with being gay either, it's and American Lawyer thing. I suspect no gay couple will have a problem getting married, they just may not be able to get married where they want and by who...but that's ok. If someone doesn't want them they SHOULDN'T want that anyway.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,472,048 times
Quote:
Ok help me understand how calling it civil union makes gays a second class because I don't see it that way. Not when and if it is the same thing only just given a different name, unfortunately civil union is not the same or even recognized, respected, adhered to in every State and it should be. I keep thinking it has to be in a separate catagory just like marriage is in a separate catagory because it's a way of I think keeping track. Like with women having their last name changed to the mans last name - keeping track.
Maybe this will help you understand it. My spouse of 34 years had a bleed out on his brain. He had to be flown 300 miles south to S F for emerency brain surgery. We had at the time a legal, valid marriage in California, a domestic partnership and durable power of attorney. The hospital refused to give me his hospital information and to provide a next of kin for him. They said they did not know how to deal with gay marriage compared to marriage. I got mad and sent them the durable power of attorney and a short letter castigating them for treating our marriage as substandard to a conventional straight marriage. I asked them if they made straight legally married couples provide their marriage licenses to get fair treatment, that none of my straight married friends ever had in any situation. Marriage period for all couples who want to marry the one they love, equal marriage, same exact federal rights and benefits provided by the US government that WE all pay taxes for, not just straight people. We gays do not get a break on our taxes because of the denial of fair and equal treatment, so we should be getting the same services in return. All legally binding marriage contracts in the USA are secular first to recieve the 1049 benefits. A marriage in the church alone gets you squat, just a ceremony before your god.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,078,020 times
I voted for the first three.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,571,343 times
Quote:
Since the anger is from you then you need to start a thread about your anger because I see no reason for it be directed here, or you need to be more specific as to who you think is showing anger here on this board in this thread. Taking a poll just doesn't seem like anger to me. having opinions doens't seem like anger to me either. However, being violent towards people who are different from self is anger and hate. There are many different reasons as to why people have anger, hate and sometimes it involves bigotry. Allowing, as I previously posted, the clergy (religious leaders) mentioned in the poll is not bigotry, hate, or anger.

So you are equating being angry about injustice as the same with being angry at someone because they have a minority unchosen trait? So if someone attacks me and I het angry then im just as bad as the person doing the attacking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies