Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Why when people call out liberal feminists do they either not answer or deflect? Why do they only stick up for women who agree with them instead of for all women when the claim to speak for all women?
Because issues are not individuals.

Speaking up on an unfair issue is not the same as speaking up regarding an individual.

For example, lot's of people say nasty things about Ms. Clinton and Ms. Pelosi. While it may be somewhat distasteful at times, they are both big girls and I believe they are capable of standing up for themselves.

Same with Ms. Palin and Ms. Duggar. We choose the life we choose and we all have to defend ourselves sometimes in some fashion. Women are not exempt from this.

In the case of Ms. Fluke, my personal objection to that whole fiasco was the insinuation that women who use birth control and want it covered by insurance are sl*ts, and should make their encounters available to men like Mr. Limbaugh. That kind of idea degrades all women equally, IMO, and it's quite reasonable to object on those grounds.

There are plenty of women who don't agree with "liberal feminists" on the issues that concern said feminists. I don't see why they need "sticking up for" because they have an opinion. I believe they're quite capable of voicing their concerns even in the face of criticism from women that don't agree with them. I don't believe they need degrading for it either, and I freely admit that's sometimes the case.

When issues are heated, not nice things are said. There are plenty of people that degrade "liberal feminists" as men hating hosebeasts. Oh well, that's people for ya. Sometimes you need a thick skin. *shrugs*

Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
No they are not forced but they are very much degraded if they don't participate. Mrs.Duggar is a good example. So is Mrs.Palin.

As I had anticipated not one of you have answered my questions.
Feminism is about giving women the options and choice to do what they feel in life. If you want to strive to be an engineer you can be, but you can equally desire to be a SAHM and be that .The point is women should have the choice, and the ability to do anything they want in this world. Michelle Duggar is looked down on because she teaches people that women are subservient to men, and spews this garbage to her daughters. It's one thing to believe it herself, and give her kids the choice to make up their own minds. But another to sit around and push the idea to your kids. You will notice that she was not raised like this either so it's a double smack in the face to them.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
No they are not forced but they are very much degraded if they don't participate. Mrs.Duggar is a good example. So is Mrs.Palin.

As I had anticipated not one of you have answered my questions.
If not for the women's movement, Ms. Palin would not have been in politics to begin with.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Why when people call out liberal feminists do they either not answer or deflect?
Are you calling out "liberal feminists"? Who is? About what exactly?

Quote:
Why do they only stick up for women who agree with them instead of for all women when the claim to speak for all women?
Nobody can "claim to speak for all women", that's just silly. Who speaks for all men?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If not for the women's movement, Ms. Palin would not have been in politics to begin with.
Hmm, maybe the women's movement wasn't such a good idea after all!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Feminism is about giving women the options and choice to do what they feel in life. If you want to strive to be an engineer you can be, but you can equally desire to be a SAHM and be that .The point is women should have the choice, and the ability to do anything they want in this world.
Exactly. I'm a feminist but I chose a more traditional path and have been a SAHM (even homeschooled) But I CHOSE it and I can't even imagine why everyone wouldn't support women being paid the same for doing the same job and having the same opportunities as their male counterparts.

It just doesn't make any sense.

If not for yourself, how could you not want this for your daughters?

Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
Feminists believe all women can and should think for themselves and are free to have differing opinions....AND are free to disagree and voice that disagreement.
This is the dangerous kind of thinking that the OP is really railing against here. Back in the good old days, he would be telling us what we should think. It's a scary world for the knuckle-draggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl
Every woman who attends college, works outside of the home, has a credit card and ownership of homes, cars, is able to divorce a violent spouse, has access to birth control, etc. has the feminist movement to thank.
I remember a poignant moment when my daughter (who is now 25) was young and she was talking about wanting to be a scientist, or an astronaut, or maybe a doctor, all things that were pretty much unheard of for a woman when I was a kid. In that moment it dawned on me that my daughter was growing up believing she could be anything she wanted to be; that it never even dawned on her that she had limitations because she was a woman. That is what the feminist movement has done for us.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
The feminazis are in full force in this thread. Just face it feminazis, you don't want equal treatment, because you have that already, you want SPECIAL treatment! Which you also get.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The feminazis are in full force in this thread. Just face it feminazis, you don't want equal treatment, because you have that already, you want SPECIAL treatment! Which you also get.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's always so endearing when those who can't think for themselves pull out the Rushism's. It's nice that you're listening to something besides cartoons, but El Rushbo might be a little mean for your impressionable self.
I'll bet you get a lot of SPECIAL treatment yourself. It's so nice that they have jobs for folks like you now. Are you a greeter at Walmart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies