Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Let's not fixate on a mammogram example I gave to give an example of a typical preventative test that women get.

I am not under 35. But thanks for the compliment!

I also do not get my health care recommendations from random internet blogs. I see doctors from major medical centers, read the results of randomized clinical placebo controlled trials, and together with my family history in mind and my lifestyle decide on the best preventative care for me.

I do not smoke. I do not drink. I do not take recreational drugs. I exercise. I take care of myself, and paid for my preventative care out of pocket when necessary.

But of course, if your belief is that the government is there just to use and abuse the people and that the large corporations will come and take care of us if we just go to them and work hard, I'm afraid I've gotta let you in on a secret.....
Come on lady, the big corporations are part of this gov't, they are inseparable, that's the problem. We have a corporatist fascist gov't that you want to give even more control. Obamacare just creates more problems, will not save us money, and will limit your choices even more.
Who are you going to sue when the gov't cuts off the wrong leg? Examine how beloved the VA is by those we owe the best of care to.

Quote:
Instead, Obamacare prohibits the application of preexisting-condition exclusions under any circumstances, thus encouraging everyone to wait until they are sick before buying health insurance. That perverse incentive is a recipe for disaster. So, in order to limit the effects of that disaster (of their own making), Congress then included in Obamacare an unpopular individual mandate to buy health insurance.
Indeed, as John Goodman of the National Center for Policy Analysis notes, if preexisting-condition exclusions are such a huge problem, then why have only 8,000 people nationwide so far signed up for the new high-risk pools included in Obamacare to provide coverage to those denied insurance until the new rules take effect in 2014?
HHS Report on Obamacare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:22 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Come on lady, the big corporations are part of this gov't, they are inseparable, that's the problem. We have a corporatist fascist gov't that you want to give even more control. Obamacare just creates more problems, will not save us money, and will limit your choices even more.
Who are you going to sue when the gov't cuts off the wrong leg? Examine how beloved the VA is by those we owe the best of care to.

HHS Report on Obamacare

I do appreciate a discussion of specific issues, with relevant examples. But sweeping generalizations are less helpful. Discuss the points of the plan.

I definitely do agree that corporations are ingrained in big government, and it is terrible. Completely agree with you. And I think the recent supreme court decision that essentially allows companies to give as much $$ as they want as a "free speech" issue is just terrible.

Not sure what you really want me to say, but a conservative think tank link is less helpful for your argument, but I do appreciate reading both sides. It is more helpful when you have a specific example to discuss, with references to neutral data sources.

Most states do not yet have programs set up for the high risk patients, so I suspect enrollment will increase once more do. The premiums for joining these plans is often very high. And one of the (many...) areas where Obamacare fails is that while insurance companies cannot deny you for coverage of pre-existing conditions, they can price the insurance so high that it is unaffordable.

And your last quote is non-sensical. Of course, for Obamacare to work, it means that people most be required to buy insurance, so they do not wait until they are sick to do so. That is what the Supreme Court will be discussing next week.

And of course, if a doctor cuts off the wrong leg, you sue the doctor and the hospital. Not Medicare. Not the government. This actually doesn't happen very often, you know? So this is less helpful for this discussion.

What happens ALL THE TIME is insurance companies say... sure, I'll sell you insurance.... but I wont cover your diabetes...... and now if you want me to cover your diabetes, I'll triple your premium.

i completely agree with you that our Vets deserve EVERYTHING regarding health care, and our VA system needs improvement. I have seen some very good care, and some very poor care that is inexcusable.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Hey guys I'm still wondering where this alleged free health care is??? I still have a co-pay at the doctor, even my mom who has the evil government's pre-existing condition insurance has a co-pay and premium and whatnot.
It comes with a Govt funded UHC............ NO CO PAYS AND life time health care................. a small tax covers the whole system and if you don't pay tax or you retire or you are young you still get FULL health cover... or maybe paying big insurance companies huge premiums for term health cover that is only good while you pay premiums or are in a top Govt or private company pay packet, where you keep your health cover even after retirement seems a much better deal......................NOT!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
And I think the point you are missing is that the specific cost isn't the point to begin with. "All of us" shouldn't be paying for it in the first place. I should pay for my care and you should pay for your care. I should get the insurance plan I want and you should get the insurance plan you want.
No, you should drop your health insurance and pay cash. Just save up a big bag for anything involving overnight in the hospital, particularly surgery.

Quote:
Truth be told I have no idea how one "processes" a co-pay but I imagine the doctor would enter into a computer what services he provided. The computer would check the patient's insurance to figure out what co-pay they owe. The patient slides their credit card and voila. I'm guessing it's more complex than that but it can't be rocket science.

e: Oh please. Hospitals already have IT staff.
The doctor doesn't do any of that. The front desk clerk has to check the patient's insurance card (assuming said patient remembered to bring the card), then collect the co-pay, which may be paid by cash, check or credit card, then write a receipt. If a credit card, it has to be run through the machine.

Doctor's offices are generally not affiliated with hospitals. Our office contracts with an IT service, and they seem to not know you-know-what from a hole in the ground.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, you should drop your health insurance and pay cash. Just save up a big bag for anything involving overnight in the hospital, particularly surgery.

The doctor doesn't do any of that. The front desk clerk has to check the patient's insurance card (assuming said patient remembered to bring the card), then collect the co-pay, which may be paid by cash, check or credit card, then write a receipt. If a credit card, it has to be run through the machine.

Doctor's offices are generally not affiliated with hospitals. Our office contracts with an IT service, and they seem to not know you-know-what from a hole in the ground.
My son's premature birth cost a little over 100,000 dollars. He was in neonatal intensive care for 6 weeks. I think it was like $106,000 dollars. If I recall, I got one bill for $99,000 and another bill for $7,000. I was in the military. I hit the catastrophic limit. I forgot what it was. I seem to recall having to pay a tiny little chunk of money. Like 1000 or 1500 bucks. Something like that.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
86 million Americans benefit from Obamacare preventive care mandate
86 million benefit from Obamacare preventive care mandate | HR Morning | Your daily dose of HR

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) just announced that the healthcare reform law provided approximately 54 million private health plan participants with at least one new free preventive service in 2011.
The law also made preventive services free for most people on Medicare, and it’s estimated that another 32.5 million people on Medicare received at least one free preventive service in 2011. That brings the law’s beneficiary grand total to 86 million.
That's interesting.
This would be hilarious were it not so tragically naive and stupid, costly and overbearing. The option of a free citizen to pay cash for routine, recurring, foreseeable expenses has been criminalized.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Slave labor is free otherwise somebody has to pay for it.

I wonder what will happen when doctors start to move to other paying jobs, all because obamacare does not make it worth their while to be part of the medical profession.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I wonder what will happen when doctors start to move to other paying jobs, all because obamacare does not make it worth their while to be part of the medical profession.
A substantial shortage of available care with guaranteed coverage would be my guess.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
I still find it enjoyable that some people think that health care is a right. health care is not a right, and never should be.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Truth be told I have no idea how one "processes" a co-pay but I imagine the doctor would enter into a computer what services he provided. The computer would check the patient's insurance to figure out what co-pay they owe. The patient slides their credit card and voila. I'm guessing it's more complex than that but it can't be rocket science.

e: Oh please. Hospitals already have IT staff.
But they get paid and the more emtries the highwer number they need.Do you really tyhni nayone wants doctors at their arte to neter computer entries on the dollar? Perhaps yopu need to call a badly setup system where automation is used to correct a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies