Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Oh please. The reason for this fiasco is the no birth control mandate, hence not wanting to cover it.
There was no birth control covered before Obamacare kicked in and there was no outrage. The outrage is over the mandate by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was no birth control covered before Obamacare kicked in and there was no outrage. The outrage is over the mandate by the government.
38 states had a contraceptive pill mandate before Obamacare and there was no outrage. The outrage is a faux cause manufactured by the RW and their media.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
38 states had a contraceptive pill mandate before Obamacare and there was no outrage. The outrage is a faux cause manufactured by the RW and their media.
Then why all the arguments ? Why all the media attention ?
If it's all "made up" as you say..why the hype and activists going to DC to talk to Congress ?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
If it's all "made up" as you say..why the hype and activists going to DC to talk to Congress ?
The same reason you have the sudden "push for abortion laws" in every state because the type of people voted into office in 2010 seem to think they were handed a social mandate. This is common with both parties there days sadly. They fail to understand the fact that people are not voting the you in as much as they are voting the other party out.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The same reason you have the sudden "push for abortion laws" in every state because the type of people voted into office in 2010 seem to think they were handed a social mandate. This is common with both parties there days sadly. They fail to understand the fact that people are not voting the you in as much as they are voting the other party out.
The right was voted in 2010 due to finances, not social mandates.
Curb the spending, bring budgets back in line.

I don't recall any social changes being campaign priorities during 2010.
TEA Party stands for Taxed Enough Already and the elections were about fiscal issues.

This is now 2012 and social issues have bubbled up as priorities by both parties.

I guess the fiscal issues are just too big and too ugly to deal with.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I remain astounded that in 2012 conservatives who demand the government stay out of their lives are embracing legislating morality. I never thought I'd see the day. The GOP is manipulating their flock like puppets.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Pretty much what she said below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
People got all whipped up about this "mandate" w/o even knowing it's the law in 38 states, including, in many cases, their own state.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The protest movement that ought to occur would demand that our healthcare system be freed from the deathgrip the insurance companies have it in, and which Mr. Obama wants to make even tighter and more permanent.

This is a solution? Nah. This is caving to the vampires.

For the life of me, I have no idea why the Left gives Obama a pass on this. Half a loaf is better, blahblahblah...except that in this case, it's not... Any thoughts?
I don't entirely disagree with you.

If I had to summarize what I think was the real problem with the law it's that Obama undertook what has proven time and time again to be one of the most complicated political efforts, and did so at a time when he was a) probably better served by focusing more on the economy and building more bi-partisan credentials* (to the extent possible), and b) at a time when he was simply too green in terms of understanding how to perform the duties as president. And don't kid yourself -- the reality is every president has a learning curve. He took on this fight at the wrong time, although it probably seemed like the right time given that he had a near super majority in congress.

The consequence of this is, Obama and congress started piecing together this legislation ambitiously. And as it so often happens, he lost control of the legislation and he lost even more control over the narrative. The republitards successfully attacked proposals and were politically successful and making the president backtrack and explain things and putting him on the defensive. They did this for the better part of the next 8 or 9 months.

By the time the law passed, all of the moderates in both parties had been scared out of taking a stand against insurance companies and bi-partisan was completely broken. It never really existed in the first place though -- but the appearance and the remote possibility of bipartisanship was forever lost. What Obama was handed was a bill that had lost some of the better parts of his proposals combined with the remnants of some of the worst. His and the DNC's next big mistake was operating under the assumption that they needed to pass the bill for symbolic purposes, and also, as you fairly point out, the assumption that acceptable components of healthcare reform is better than nothing at all. He was wrong on both accounts, and I think he has paid a steep political price in terms of his ability to work with the other side.

*But having said that...I still absolutely, positively, 100 percent hold republitards accountable. It was their obstructionism and their efforts from the opening bell to discredit him that led to this. They claim that they offered counter proposals but that's just a lie. They offered nothing at all except obstructionism. So while I blame the president for being a bit in over his head and making a bad tactical decision, I blame the obstructionist do-nothing, know-nothing republitards even more for continuing their massacre of the fortunes of the American consumer, the American worker, and the American family.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Are you talking about the mandate or The War On Women? LOL

Old 03-24-2012, 03:28 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The MSM isn't interested--they're all in Florida covering the Trayvon/Zimmerman media circus.
March Madness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies