Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I think it is important to be prepared in case there is a mass breakdown in peaceful society. I've read that a store of food that can last three to five months is a good start.

--First Aid Kit

--10 changes of clothing (also off season clothing)

--A sturdy shelter that can withstand a mob of unruly folks attacking it

--Fresh water (at least 100 gallons)

--books (not "e-books" but real books)

--games (for the kids to take their minds off of their fear)

--shotguns (and plenty of shells)

Note: If guns are illegal where you live then scratch this off your list

--gold and silver bullion

What else should one consider to protect themselves from violent mobs who may be heading your one's way?
I don't worry about the other stuff so much. Plenty of people have that stuff on hand. They aren't prepared with what they really need though! WEAPONS!!

Commando - We Fight For Love - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM

I guess I should explain that ^ a bit more. If you have guns (tactical or self defense models) ammo galore, magazines, reloading equipment and components to make more-more-more...in ALL popular handgun, shotgun and rifle calibers....what else do you really need? You can trade or sell for anything else you need from someone who "didn't think they needed one" or were afraid of them before.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Those Sheridan style pellet guns are pretty dang high priced now.....goofballs will collect anything won't they.
Mine was the old Benjamin. I wonder if they are still in business - might have to look them up.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
In "mass" Civil Unrest, folks living in urban areas may be wise to not only have a gun or two but to purchase handguns with laser lights.
They can be a sleepy person's best friend, when in danger.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the area i live in, if you come down to where i live, better to have more rounds than not enough. I hope to have 500k by the end of thsi year.
DANG!! If I had that many rounds for every gun I own,I would have to buy a warehouse for just the ammo and a million dollar loan on top of that.!!!!Have you priced .375 H&H ammo lately? .222mag(I have some old Cooper rounds and I'm not even sure they still make them do they)? As I've said before..the only thing I hunt anymore is coyotes and you don't get close or usually a second shot with those guys...I keep a detailed log(ammo/caliber used,wind,distance,male or female,GPS etc etc) and I've made a lot of fairly long one shot kills over the years..I'm not to worried about zombies getting right up on me unless they are in a Ghillie suit...too...then we might bump noses by accident
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Mine was the old Benjamin. I wonder if they are still in business - might have to look them up.
Benjamin was a heck of a good little gun...I personally haven't even saw one traded around here in at least 20yrs or more...I know you could smoke squirrels and rabbits in the middle of a town park with one and never have a problem with the law(not that I did that as a kid) and they were AWESOME for frog hunting too...they beat a frog gig all to hell

Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
I guess I should explain that ^ a bit more. If you have guns (tactical or self defense models) ammo galore, magazines, reloading equipment and components to make more-more-more...in ALL popular handgun, shotgun and rifle calibers....what else do you really need? You can trade or sell for anything else you need from someone who "didn't think they needed one" or were afraid of them before.
"components to make more-more-more"

That is the key. Guy down the street makes his own ammo and I keep hitting him up to make he his "grasshopper".

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sights_Set View Post
Start reading Survival Blog. Its an awesome website with so much great info just watch out for the FBI cookies

SurvivalBlog.com
Thanks for the site.

I am going to study it up and down between now and November...

Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 PM

684 posts, read 1,151,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I think it is important to be prepared in case there is a mass breakdown in peaceful society.

--shotguns (and plenty of shells)

Note: If guns are illegal where you live then scratch this off your list
I'm a liberal, but frankly, to he__ with that. I think guns would be entirely necessary and appropriate to have in those circumstances. I don't care what the local law says. "law" would be largely irrelevant if that occurred. (Guns are completely legal where I live, anyway. )

Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"components to make more-more-more"

That is the key. Guy down the street makes his own ammo and I keep hitting him up to make he his "grasshopper".
Powder isn't the problem, and it never was before. You can always get powder. I buy all mine in 8 pound jugs that I can. What they don't offer in 8 pound jugs, I buy in 4 or 5 pound jugs. The biggest jug available for that type. It's the bullets and damn primers that got hard to get last time. Everyone was always sold out and backordered. I have all my brass sorted out and labeled by caliber. I use the five gallon flip lid Rubbermaid tubs for that. They are all full with brass. I keep my loaded rounds that I loaded in 100 pack flip lid ammo boxes. I get my .40 S&W brass from my PD. I usually have three or five 5 gallon buckets full at all times of once fired .40 S&W brass. I get that for FREE too. As long as you have plenty of components stocked up, you are good to go. I'm building up my stockpile even more as we speak. UPS will do 48 pounds in one box for the Hazmat fee in shipping $20 or $25, I can't remember off hand. I load that box up with the max to keep overall costs down when ordering. I get all my bullets shipped for free for buying large quanities of 2,000 or more each order. Free shipping on bulk pack bullets adds up.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM

52 posts, read 75,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
They can spend their money to prepare for a worst-case scenario if they want. No skin off my nose. What concerns me is the paranoia, and paranoia is never a good thing. And I am concerned about the people they might influence. If somebody reads my comments and thinks that maybe the nut jobs are just that, nut jobs, maybe they won't be influenced by them. The KKK was perpetuated because people wouldn't stand up and say they are wrong! The Nazis were perpetuated because no one would say that the logic they used to rationalize killing millions of Jews was flawed.

They are using as an example of our impending doom something that happened 20 years ago, and, to my knowledge, hasn't happened in this country since. Their logic is flawed, and someone should point that out!
[quote=Sunnysee;23553912]"They are using as an example of our impending doom something that happened 20 years ago, and, to my knowledge, hasn't happened in this country since. Their logic is flawed, and someone should point that out!"

Maybe some of the nutters are using the past for paranoia, I don't know since I can't possibly know millions of folks, but what I do know is...

Many of the Preppers that are as sane, professional and wise as can be are using Current Events as their motivation. The fact that China preps-up our dollar, and even China has pulled out of it by more than a trillion dollars because they, too see the decline of our currency.

We were downgraded and it was a merciful WARNING. More downgrade to come because Geithner very recently suggested that an untold amount of money is yet to be printed, and no, I don't at this moment have a link to him saying it, or about it but read it not ten days ago.

They said they would not monetize our debt, and of course this is exactly what they have done.

Sadly, the doubters will see in the futures that the Preppers were right. We will have bank holidays, don't know how many days, empty ATM machines and a lot of folks that can't run buy more ciggies, booze, some will be at refill-time on some heavy prescriptions and are faced with at least a week of angry, freaked-out people in true need.

That's an optimistic description of what is coming....one week....merciful if we don't have a longer run of chaos and crime thanks to our currency collapsing, but first hyper-inflating.

MATH is an absolute. All of the Bernankes and Geithners in the world cannot prevent our dollar's death with the endless printing/borrowing of it.

i'm with freightshaker and sunny.
what i have to say is that slodog in his all knowingness has been well tutored by progressive control freaks like maddow, maher et al.
concered is now paranoia and we all sponsor the kkk etc.
however, knowing there are so many of your ilk out there comforts me in that i won't have to suffer guilt pangs from eating in front of my dog, as we will be gorged on tender faux intilectuals when it gets bad. one of my bugout stashes is near dahmlers old place and before they got him he mentioned how tender liberals are when made into babybacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies