Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,711,223 times

Advertisements

My unemployed brother-in-law and sister-in-law are planning their third trip to Hawaii since he lost his job 18 months ago. In addition to any remaining unemployment, they are both now on disability for partial hearing loss (though that was never before a hindrance to working and going to college). I also know for a fact they have received food assistance very recently. They also had a bankruptcy a few years before he lost his job.

It's just astounding to me that our society apparently does not require any sacrifices from people who don't work any more. Sometimes when I hear stuff like this, I just shake my head (and then post on City-Data.com).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,457,302 times
lol. You can always report them if they are scamming the system if you want.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,582,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
My unemployed brother-in-law and sister-in-law are planning their third trip to Hawaii since he lost his job 18 months ago. In addition to any remaining unemployment, they are both now on disability for partial hearing loss (though that was never before a hindrance to working and going to college). I also know for a fact they have received food assistance very recently. They also had a bankruptcy a few years before he lost his job.

It's just astounding to me that our society apparently does not require any sacrifices from people who don't work any more. Sometimes when I hear stuff like this, I just shake my head (and then post on City-Data.com).
They are probably dirtbag Republicans who gamed the system to stuff away lots of ill-gotten gains when the getting was good. That's where the vacation money is coming from, I bet. Now that times have changed they are taking advantage of the system some more ... this time fleecing the public at large rather than focusing on individual targets. Just my hunch.. but I know the type.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,893,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
They are probably dirtbag Republicans who gamed the system to stuff away lots of ill-gotten gains when the getting was good. That's where the vacation money is coming from, I bet. Now that times have changed they are taking advantage of the system some more ... this time fleecing the public at large rather than focusing on individual targets. Just my hunch.. but I know the type.
Only three posts to turn a non-partisan thread into a biased political mess? That is a new record I think. Any evidence to back your outlandish assertions up?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Only three posts to turn a non-partisan thread into a biased political mess? That is a new record I think. Any evidence to back your outlandish assertions up?
None whatsoever... I just assume dirtbags like these are Republicans whenever I hear about them.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,905,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Oh man, don't ask.. YOu will get back links to some of the most outlandish crap you have ever seen in your life..... I didn't think anyone was foolish enough to read and actually believe some of the sources he has, but I was proven wrong..

Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,711,223 times
Quote:
I don't know their political affiliation. But they have always been the type to live paycheck to paycheck, without a mind to investing at all.

30,286 posts, read 51,745,829 times
Unemployment doesn't pay enough for trips to Hawaii, as I know since I was on UI for about 8 months following a layoff... it barely paid enough to cover rent, let alone enough to go jetting off to Hawaii! Granted, I live in a VERY high-COL region, but I was also receiving the highest possible benefits - for a total of $1900/mo before taxes (which you can either pay on each check or annually). Do you know anyone in any region who can take expensive trips on that kind of money, especially when they also have to pay rent/mortgage etc? Methinks you're either making up this story, or this couple had a lot of savings prior to losing their jobs.

Regardless, a few scammers doesn't make a system useless or inherently unfair. Unemployment insurance exists for a reason, and cannot be compared to something like welfare... considering you must first work to qualify, and in most states the employer & employee contribute to the original benefit period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh man, don't ask.. YOu will get back links to some of the most outlandish crap you have ever seen in your life..... I didn't think anyone was foolish enough to read and actually believe some of the sources he has, but I was proven wrong..
Excuse me? Which sources are you referring to, sir. (When I provide them, I give very quality sources to back up very reasonable well-stated arguments.. and sometimes I just blather my biases, prejudices and assumptions.. as I have done about the OP's in-laws.)

Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,893,533 times
Quote:
None whatsoever... I just assume dirtbags like these are Republicans whenever I hear about them.
Only in Manhattan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies