Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had to choose a party of identify with and/or support, which would you choose?
Republican 49 49.00%
Democrat 51 51.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times

Advertisements

If I had to choose, gop. Glad I dont have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
I am a conservative who thinks the US is in deep trouble with its irresponsible fiscal policies. Although I don't agree with the extreme right, they are only a small fraction of that side (although the lefties here think they make up the large majority.) Since there is very little the Democrats in DC do that I can support, I have to side with the Republicans.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
I prefer freedom and liberty over fascist tyranny, that's why I chose democrat.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM

441 posts, read 886,292 times
Democrat, because I don't trust companies to do the right thing and be responsible towards the environment, and also compete freely and properly - they seek to do only one thing - pursue the dollar, and that kind of behavior leads to monopolies and uncompetitive behavior. One can easily look at the Internet/telecommunications networks here to see this.

I also don't believe that cutting taxes and spending is the solution to everything while reducing things like entitlement spending and decreasing the current social safety net: I believe that taxes need to be raised, and government spending cut to deal with things like the national debt. This is the kind of issue that both sides need to come together to deal with

In addition while I have worries about the constitutionality of the recent healthcare law, I'm not entirely sure that the current republican answer that I've seen as I understand it (repeal, replace with a mixture of charities and churches and leave the govt. out of it) but my father has been a doctor for many years and has said that the options aren't very great if you lack money and that the local hospital (Grady Memorial) often has people dying in the waiting room due to it being full or other reasons... I agree it's better than nothing, but then again I don't think it'd be something (healthcare) that cannot be reformed suitably.

I'm with the Republicans on issues such as gun rights, reduced spending, adding a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution and others, but it's the issue of regulation and trusting businesses that I don't agree with. After all some companies like Apple have been having record profits, so where are the jobs? Aside from last year's NC data center I haven't seen anything...

Last edited by icecreamsandwich; 03-25-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I prefer freedom and liberty over fascist tyranny, that's why I chose democrat.

Well you have got it wrong, because that is what the democrat party is. Enjoy it. Fascist tyranny that is.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Enjoy it. Fascist tyranny that is.
I don't like nor want fascist tyranny, that's why I support the democrats.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 AM

350 posts, read 477,744 times
Quote:
For me, it's Republican. Although I agree with the Democrats on many issues, and voting for them is to vote in my interests (since I'm a recently-impoverished cancer patient who currently benefits from government programs such as Medicaid, Food Stamps, and Energy Assistance), I can not in conscience support most of the politicians they put forth, since I am against abortion. That's an absolute non-negotiable.
This makes no sense to me. You would vote to LOSE your current benefits under programs such as Medicaid, Food Stamps and Energy Assistance because you are against abortion? This shouldn't even BE an issue in selecting our leaders.

I would guess MOST of us are against abortion, however, some of us feel that it is each individual's CHOICE to make, (between their doctor, family, and perhaps religious leader). The government has no right mandating a LAW. I would be behind more government funding to provide assistance to anyone with an unwanted pregnancy, so they can avail themselves of the best solution. That would actually LOWER abortion rates, which is what you ultimately want. Besides, nothing much changed in regards to abortion even when we DID have a Republican president ... and it wouldn't now.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Neither. Both parties are making complete fools out of themselves.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
I'm socially moderate, fiscally conservative. We don't register with parties in Texas. If we did, I'd probably be registered as a Republican but I certainly don't agree with the GOP on everything.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
I am socially liberal and fiscally moderate and if Rockefeller Republicans still existed I would probably be one. With that said Democrats are now the closest thing to a Rockefeller Republican so I am a Democrat.

As to deficits I don't think anyone can actually say to me one party is better then the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies