Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I believe that's part of the problem, actually. It takes one case to galvanize people, but those same people are quick to discount a much larger scourge affecting black men (ie. gangs...drugs...poor parenting...etc).

I'm of the firm opinion that (unproven) claims of racism are the only reason people care about Trayvon Martin. Had this been a black-on-black event, we'd not be hearing a peep from anyone. Which brings me back to the OP......where is the indignation?
Gangs, drugs and poor parenting plaque all communities. Tell me this: what is the solution? Simply telling women to keep their legs closed? That's been tried. Any other ideas? Hint: You can't force anyone to be responsible.

You want to believe that this case is about racism. I believe it is about the non-action of the Sanford PD, some of which is racist. You have yet to provide a comparable b/b case such as this one. If you can, and no public outcry resulted, you will have a point. Otherwise, you don't.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
From the article:

Then, at a juvenile court hearing in January, the main witness, a 13-year-old classmate of the defendants, failed to show up. The case was tossed out.

The kids celebrated. Others howled.

What kids wouldn't celebrate if they got away with a crime? You are making it seem like the families, adults, etc were cheering , in support of this dismissal. You are, once again, being intellectually dishonest.
Um that's because they were cheering.

Quote:
The courtroom was crowded with the families of the seven defendants. Detective Josh Wenstrom, who had interviewed the young witness, sat nearby in a small room reviewing his notes, preparing to testify. About the same time, far from the scene, the Knockout King posted on Facebook: "FREE ALL MY TKO GUYS."
At 9 a.m. the hearing began.
Minutes later it was over. The 13-year-old witness never showed.
Wenstrom heard a roar in the hallway. It sounded like cheering. "I was almost sick to my stomach," he says.
For Tina Vence, a defendant's mother, it was the right outcome. She was certain her child was innocent. So was Sonia Womack, another defendant's mother. "My heart goes out to him," she said of the victim, "but they need to get the right people that did it."
Read more: 'Knockout game' case shocked St. Louis, then fell apart

Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
Are you serious? That's like saying "what difference does it make" that Zimmerman is black or non-black.
OK...well, look at the more recent pic I posted. Does Trayvon look any more scary and/or suspicious to you?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
I always thought that the picture you see in the media is someone who look much younger than age 17. Then, I found out that the picture was taken at age 13! What? Don't they have more recent pictures? Has he not taken any pictures in the past 4 years? He is in high school! They take required pictures every year for the year book.

If the picture was at 16, it's understandable. If it's at age 15, it might still be understandable if that's the ONLY good and clear picture. But at age 14, it's getting rediculous. But at age 13??????

If they want to be bias and deceptive about, they might as well show a picture of him when he was a toddler.
Why fixate on ONE PICTURE of several that have appeared in the media of Trayvon Martin?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,024 times
Quote:
OK...well, look at the more recent pic I posted. Does Trayvon look any more scary and/or suspicious to you?
He looks more black, but he still looks like a kid I'd be hanging out with. That baby-face is very innocent looking.

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I might add that it took a month of the Martin families efforts to get the story even on the front page of the local news.

Would anyone like to ask the OP (I don't have the patients) to explain the media bias when it comes to JonBenet Ramsey, Natalee Holloway, Elizabeth Smart, Polly Klass or Caylee Anthony?

By the way, the reason for Mr. Squeaky Clean Record Zimmerman's county orange photos was because he was booked for assault on a police officer and since Mr. Zimmerman wasn;t handing out photos of himself to the media or making himself press available they went with what was in the public record. Now if you want to compare that to what one finds by scouring the social media websites of the average teenager...
Talk about MEDIA BIAS what of this horrific story.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-get-new.html

166 posts, read 346,853 times
Quote:
It makes a HUGE difference. The 13 year old looks like he still like to play with teddy bears. The 17 year old looks like he can get pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Here is an excerpt from Trayvon Slimm Martin's facebook"

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

For those of you who don't want to click, it says this...

Friend: Yeooo Happy Birthday, but pik up the fone or hmu got business to talk!

Trayvon Slimm Martin: NO PHON

friend: damn where you at a n!gga need a plant!

Disclaimer: Now I am NOT saying he is a drug dealer, but this was posted on his facebook on Feb 5, 2012. Anyone can check it for themselves. It sounds as if they are referring to the sale of marijuana....or maybe a legal houseplant...who knows...
This could mean nothing or it could even mean that he wanted to hang out with Trayvon and smoke weed. I smoked plenty of weed as a teen. Glad no one decided to kill me for my "thuggish" behavior.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Here are the pics... from "Trayvon Martin" (not the deceased)

BUT the Trayvon Martin (Slimm) the real one has a different profile
I know some folks have a hard time telling us apart, but that's not Trayvon.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
What do looks have to do with anything? Ya think Ted Bundy was a good guy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.