Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You need to read your own link. It said that after Zimmerman lost Trayvon, he went back to his car and then Trayvon
came up behind him, confronted him and the two had words at which point Trayvon started beating Zimmerman. I am sure that Zimmerman probably showed his gun which is which is what prompted the beating. Unfortunately we will never know what truely prompted Trayvon to start beating Zimerman since we will only have one side of the story and the witness never saw what instigated Trayvon to attack Zimmerman.
Ok then, IF Trayvon threw punches at a man that he KNEW was armed, he got what he had coming to him. Plain and DAMN simple!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What is the deal with hoodies, and how old are some of you? Are you not around teenagers at all? I have five teenage boys, and they live in hoodies, as do all of their classmates. Seriously--they wear them every single day during cold or cool weather, often instead of a more formal jacket or a sweater. I have to practically beg my boys to wear a winter coat instead, and now they even make winter coats that are lined but look like hoodies. Every teenage boy--rich, poor, black or white--wears them. If at some point they were some kind of gangster thing, fine, but they haven't meant ANYTHING like that for years and years.
Too true!

My friend and I also wear our hoodies with the hoods up when we go out walking in cool weather. The hoods keep our ears warm and dry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
He doesn't have to be a cop to determine if someone looks suspicious or not lol. As a matter of fact, cops prefer that you do call them if you suspect a crime has been committed or is about to be commited. In NYC they have a saying on billboards and posters all over the place that "if you see something, say something." It's a common a slogan. So yes, Zimmerman had every right and then some to call the police if he suspected something. His actions from there on in are questionable.

But that's besides the point, everyone is avoiding the fact that in the 911 report Zimmerman reported that the neighborhood had a rash of break ins and a kid was looking at houses suspiciously as a reason for his call in the first place. Now he may have been wrong, but I would hope that my neighbors would call the cops if they saw someone who appeared to be "on drugs" and scouting out houses.
What everyone is avoiding is that the cops told Zimmerman to stop following Trayvon. I would not want my neighbors to shoot my daughter's boyfriends if they appeared to be "on drugs" and scouting out houses.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
LOL; what exactly am I alleging? YOU are the one making allegations without support. Challenging your claim does not equal making allegations of my own.
I have support, called the POLICE REPORT. What do you have again? Oh that's right NOTHING!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Despite all the misinformation in this thread, I'm curious why this is national news. This happens all the time near where I live. White cop, shoots black teen. Black man, shoots white teen. Teen shoots teen etc. What makes this one so special that it deserves comments from Obama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Ugh. Let's use our brains here:

It's raining. I have on a hoody. I notice a stranger staring at me. (Because I don't know that this strange guy is from the community )

I walk in the opposite direction. I notice that stranger starts following me.

Right there, my adrenaline kicks in. I'm anxious, nervious, etc.

I walk faster to lose the guy. The guy catches up with me.

Flight is no longer an option. Fight it is. This guy has not made his POSITIVE intentions known. In fact, his actions are extremely suspicious and suggest that he is trying to do me harm.

Say what you want, but I'm not going to risk being kidnapped, mugged or worse because I assume that the person FOLLOWING me is with the Neighborhood Watch team. And I damn sure won't teach my children this drivel. If a stranger does not identify themselves to prove their POSITIVE intentions, I'm going to assume the worst.
Where is your proof that it happened like that? You are shooting from the hip just HOPING to hit a so called white man.

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Last I checked, Zimmerman was not a police officer. Or do you believe the police and everyday citizens should have equal powers?

A child was shot to death. Why weren't these witnesses brought in for questioning?

So you are refuting the fact that a 28 year old MAN shot a 17 year old CHILD?
17 is not a child these days!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What everyone is avoiding is that the cops told Zimmerman to stop following Trayvon. I would not want my neighbors to shoot my daughter's boyfriends if they appeared to be "on drugs" and scouting out houses.
I'm not going to go down this road, because this has been discussed to exhaustion. But the dispatcher did not instruct him to "stop" at any time, atleast not according to the released 911 calls. They simply told him that they didn't need him to do it. Either way, they couldn't instruct him not to even if they wanted to.

Fact of the matter is, he had good reason to call the cops. A rash of break-ins, and someone appearing to be on drugs and leering at houses is a good enough reason IMO. I personally don't abide by the "no snitching" code of the streets. All this talk about a kid being profiled because he's black and wearing a hoody is media sensationalizm.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
How do you know it did? The prosecution can't use What if's, they have to be absolute.
You are taking Zimmermans statement to the police as the truth. His statement is not an ABSOLUTE.

Do you agree with that?

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Nothing else really matters. Not the self-defense law. Not the races of those involved. What outrages me the most is the fact that Zimmerman was not automatically arrested for shooting a child and brought in for questioning.

Shouldn't a case where a child is shot to death be thoroughly investigated regardless? Why is it good enough for an adult to say, "He was trying to hurt me so I shot him" and that's that?

It makes absolutely no sense.

Only the context matters. The out of context, loophole friendly statutory law is one of the major problems we have. Now you want some arbitrary legal definition to define the process? In a year he could be in the military. A 17 year old can certainly be a threat. So as crazy as it sounds, I don't want to blindly follow some dreamed up legal definition of a child. I just want to know what happened with all the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Too true!

My friend and I also wear our hoodies with the hoods up when we go out walking in cool weather. The hoods keep our ears warm and dry!

The cops didn't say anything. The 911 dispatcher did who is NOT a cop. The police report states he did stop following him at that point. Have any evidence that says different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies