Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM

166 posts, read 347,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Self-defense is generally not available to an initial aggressor.
You're assuming Zimmerman was the initial agressor. Following someone and asking him what he's doing WITHOUT any other facts cannot be interpret as aggression.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:48 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
You see conspiracies anywhere you look...if that's what you're looking for.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
I have two words for Sharpton and all the (pseudo-) Liberals who lap up his venom like so much cream soda;

Tawana Brawley

Tawana Brawley rape allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caveat Emptor - (Let the buyer beware).

Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Self-defense is generally not available to an initial aggressor.
That's not true, but even if it is and gz was the initial aggressor [no proof], Fl. law doesn't exclude self defense for inititial aggressors or people who follow other people or leave their cars.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yeah what she said. That's a pretty bad pic as far lighting and clarity. I can't tell and we know pics can be altered. I need a link to a facebook page or something reputable.
It's from the facebook of Trayvon Martin...but a different one. You can go to the page and see the pics

Trayvon's real facebook page is under Trayvon Slimm Martin not simply Trayvon Martin. There's two of them.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That's not true, but even if it is and gz was the initial aggressor [no proof], Fl. law doesn't exclude self defense for inititial aggressors or people who follow other people or leave their cars.
That's funny, the law's author seems to disagree with you.

Durell Peaden and state Rep. Dennis Baxley, an Ocala Republican who sponsored the measure in the House, said the law might not apply to Zimmerman — because he decided to pursue and confront a person like Martin and then use deadly force.
Read more here: Trayvon Martin cases puts focus on 2005 'stand your ground' law | Naked Politics

Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That's not true
Yes, it is true. Initial aggressors typically cannot claim self-defense. I'll even post the relevant Florida law for you.

Quote:
776.041 Use of force by aggressor.—The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:
1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or
(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless: a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or
(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

There are exceptions for where the initial aggressor clearly attempts to withdraws and is unable to or the force being used by the non-initial aggressor escalates to the point where the initial aggressor is in imminent danger of death or bodily harm.

In general, most states with similar provisions interpret it to mean that (a) is not available to an initial aggressor using deadly force. There has to be a non-lethal initial aggressor, followed by a response from the non-initial aggressor that rises to the level of creating a reasonable belief in imminent danger of death.

Quote:
but even if it is and gz was the initial aggressor [no proof],
Zimmerman was told by the 911 operator not to approach Martin and that the police would respond. Zimmerman clearly ignored the operator, makes comments about "these people," and might have used a racial epithet at the end of the call. I'd call that at least circumstantial evidence. However, if I was a juror, would I convict Zimmerman solely on that basis? No.

Quote:
Fl. law doesn't exclude self defense for inititial aggressors or people who follow other people or leave their cars.
Florida law generally excludes self defense for initial aggressors, as I've shown by quoting Florida law.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
What do any of those missing women stories have to do with Zimmerman-Martin? You're comparing apples to oranges.
Whens the last time a black, asian or latino missing child made national news? Better yet, when was the first time?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:20 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That's funny, the law's author seems to disagree with you.
Durell Peaden and state Rep. Dennis Baxley, an Ocala Republican who sponsored the measure in the House, said the law might not apply to Zimmerman — because he decided to pursue and confront a person like Martin and then use deadly force.
Read more here: Trayvon Martin cases puts focus on 2005 'stand your ground' law | Naked Politics
1st of all he says 'might not.' 2nd, Baxley also said, 'If you want to pass something, pass something that limits their ability to pursue and confront people.” 3rd, you think he'll readily admit he [the NRA] authored a license-to-kill law and is too dumb to know.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Yes, it is true. Initial aggressors typically cannot claim self-defense. I'll even post the relevant Florida law for you.

There are exceptions for where the initial aggressor clearly attempts to withdraws and is unable to or the force being used by the non-initial aggressor escalates to the point where the initial aggressor is in imminent danger of death or bodily harm.

In general, most states with similar provisions interpret it to mean that (a) is not available to an initial aggressor using deadly force. There has to be a non-lethal initial aggressor, followed by a response from the non-initial aggressor that rises to the level of creating a reasonable belief in imminent danger of death.

Zimmerman was told by the 911 operator not to approach Martin and that the police would respond. Zimmerman clearly ignored the operator, makes comments about "these people," and might have used a racial epithet at the end of the call. I'd call that at least circumstantial evidence. However, if I was a juror, would I convict Zimmerman solely on that basis? No.

Florida law generally excludes self defense for initial aggressors, as I've shown by quoting Florida law.
I guess I can shoot a cop who questions me about why I am in a certain area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies