Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Can u post the link?

In this case Zimmerman had a documented physical injury on the back of his head that was bleeding when he was "cuffed and stuffed", along with bleeding from his nose. It was also apparent from physical evidence that he was on his back on wet ground (grass stains and water on the BACK of his shirt.) Reports are that Martin was shot in the front of his body, not in the back, so he was facing the weapon when it discharged.

In no way am I condoning what happened, but based on Florida law if you are attacked and being pummeled without means of escape, in some cases deadly force is authorized even under law existing before stand your ground.

Last edited by Suncc49; 03-26-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Back in January, here in Baltimore, there was a story that had gotten a ridiculous amount of attention. The story was about a dog getting thrown off a balcony. Meanwhile, the black people that get killed are barely mentioned.
Where have you been? All I have heard about the past week has been about a black person being killed.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM

957 posts, read 758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "stand your ground" law is not the issue here since it does not apply. Zimmerman lost that defense the second he stepped out of the safety of his truck to pursue the kid.

It may be argued that the law may apply since it is now being reported that Zimmerman was attached by the kid and broke his nose according to a witness.
Zimmerman was "attacked" by the kid he was stalking, while brandishing a weapon. Zimmerman had no business even following the kid, as he was instructed to not leave his vehicle. Zimmerman witnessed no crime, but said "they always get away". Away from what? What exactly did he feel Martin was getting away from & if he feared for his life, why did he pursue Martin? Oh, that's right he had a gun. Zimmerman could well have been pursuing Martin in order to kill him, and Martin got the better of him, so Zimmerman did what any coward with a gun would do, and shot Martin.
Zimmerman's a POS who should spend the rest of his life, regretting what he did, in a jail cell being somebody's *****.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It seems that most posters don't realize why everyone is outraged. Leave your own racial prejudices and media-induced emotions aside.

The facts are that Zimmerman shot and killed a young man and was able to walk away from the crime scene, gun in hand, no questions asked. The criminal record of Travon was surely checked. The record of Zimmerman, who has a criminal history, was surely not.

If a Black man shot and killed a young white male (or any race), even in "self-defense", the black male would be sitting in prison right now.
what a raciest statement

Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If another black kid had shot him, would black folks be wearing hoodies and marching?? Would we even care??
No unless the black person in question is a cop.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Okay, but why is that? And I think you intentionally avoided answering my question.

The tragic truth is that black against black crime is an everyday occurrence. To the point where, unfortunately, nobody pays much attention anymore.

And for the record, there are millions of white people who die, and nobody gives a flying fig.
So their lives mean less? I'm not just talking about crime, but deaths in general. Car accidents, natural disasters, etc.

I'm not necessarily talking about Making the NY Times front page either. But a white person dying has more likelihood of making it on the local news than a black person dying.

White people's lives are treated as more precious, and their deaths more tragic, than black people's lives and deaths, by the media in general.

Of course there are exceptions, and of course not every single death makes the news, but of the ones that do, more white ones are reported than black ones. You can argue technicalities but in the end, the trend is still there.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
The difference is that the media is VERY bias. They use a picture of a middle schooler instead of a high school senior.
And are you, "SuperManGuy" actually trying to say that a 250 pound man, in a car, with a loaded gun should feel threatened by a 140 pound kid, walking on the street??

Funny enough if I were to feel threatened by a kid on a street, I go in the opposite direction not toward them.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
So their lives mean less? I'm not just talking about crime, but deaths in general. Car accidents, natural disasters, etc.

I'm not necessarily talking about Making the NY Times front page either. But a white person dying has more likelihood of making it on the local news than a black person dying.

White people's lives are treated as more precious, and their deaths more tragic, than black people's lives and deaths, by the media in general.

Of course there are exceptions, and of course not every single death makes the news, but of the ones that do, more white ones are reported than black ones. You can argue technicalities but in the end, the trend is still there.

Some of that could be because blacks die violent deaths a lot more then whites. When something happens everyday it stops becoming newsworthy.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Obviously, as of Tonight, a lot of stuff that has been surpressed, etc., which is NOW coming out. >> As I was taught, but often ignored....''Son, there are always 2 sides to a story.''

IMPORTANT - Wait for all the 'smoke to clear' ...so the true picture will/can be seen and heard...and hopefully KNOWN.
I've always believed there are three sides to a story. In this case, Zimmerman, Trayvon, and then there is the truth. Unfortunately dead people don't get to tell their side of the story, do they? The "true" picture of what happened will never be known to anyone, except Zimmerman and a dead boy who can't speak.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
White was still defined as a color last time I checked the dictionary - and supposedly we are all descended from some chick who lived in Africa. I am "white". Can I describe myself as a person of color and an African-American?
(Chuckle) That is so revealing - ABOUT your (lack) of CREDIBLE KNOWLEDGE:

White is not a color.. .. any art student knows this to be true!

White is the PRESENCE of ALL COLORS!!

If I take a round piece of cardboard and paint it with 3 different colors in equal sections. Red, Green, Blue

If I put a small needle into the exact center of that piece of cardboard and spin it.. What will you see ??

Black is not a color - Black is the absence of all colors.

When that round cardboard is spun you will see.............WHITE!!

Throw your dictionary away!

No we are not supposedly descended from some 'chick' who lived in Africa.

We are descended from Adam & Eve and Adam was ... 'ruddy' or red!

According to the news reports Zimmerman was a "white hispanic" LMAO !! I guess we have a white negro as a president!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies