Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times

Advertisements

Will John Sanderson's tragic race related death this weekend at Mississippi State University get any of the media frenzy and White House attention as Tayvon Martin's death?

Will the New Black Panthers and Reverand Al be interested in this story?

It is the story of every parent's nightmare.....having their child killed while away in school by someone who had no right being on campus.

Another senseless death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
Was Sanderson's death associated with a rather controversial new law? Nope.

Would the police have arrested the people who they knew did the shooting? Yup

Was he a child walking home from a corner store where he bought a candy bar and a drink? Nope

Did 9/11 tell his shooters not to approach him? Nope

Yeah, ahh, that's exactly the same thing.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
It's of course a sad situation, and I hope they catch and punish whoever was responsible. But can you post some sources about the racial aspect of this? Not saying race wasn't a factor, but I'm just not finding anything on it right now.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
I'm not familiar with this case. Normally a story rises to national media firestorm levels if:

1. The victim is black and suspect is white or a cop (race of cop doesn't matter however bonus points awarded if he's white).
2. The victim is a white female who has traveled somewhere and ends up missing
3. The victim is a white child and has gone missing or murdered in some unusually horrendous fashion.

If this case doesn't fall under these three main heading it will be regulated to the local and fringe media.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM

166 posts, read 347,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm not familiar with this case. Normally a story rises to national media firestorm levels if:

1. The victim is black and suspect is white or a cop (race of cop doesn't matter however bonus points awarded if he's white).
2. The victim is a white female who has traveled somewhere and ends up missing
3. The victim is a white child and has gone missing or murdered in some unusually horrendous fashion.

If this case doesn't fall under these three main heading it will be regulated to the local and fringe media.
I would edit number 2 and 3 a little by adding the word "cute" or "good looking."

Sandra Fatty with short hair missing while on vacation in Mexico is probably not going to make national headline.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Will John Sanderson's tragic race related death this weekend at Mississippi State University get any of the media frenzy and White House attention as Tayvon Martin's death?
Ok, I'll pretend like I'm back in a news meeting but this time I'll play the role of the managing editor of the Clarion Ledger (Mississippi's largest paper).

You: We've got a story about an MSU student shot outside his dorm room.

Me: O.K., what are the police saying, who is this kid, and what makes this murder different from the 19 year old shot over at Jackson State?

You: Well the police don't have a motive or a suspect or at least they aren't saying....

Me: And you think this needs to be more than a brief because... The Starkville Daily News gave it about 4 inches:

MSU president comments on shooting fatality | Starkville Daily News

So sell me the story.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 PM

Ovcatto,

Come on now, are you saying that an unsolved murder of a 23 year old is not the same as a child being murdered while talking to his parent while walking from from the corner store by a community volunteer who disregards 9/11's instructions and then confronts and shoots the kid and isn't even arrested because of Florida's gun laws? You can't possible be saying those two situations aren't identical.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Ovcatto,

Come on now, are you saying that an unsolved murder of a 23 year old is not the same as a child being murdered while talking to his parent while walking from from the corner store by a community volunteer who disregards 9/11's instructions and then confronts and shoots the kid and isn't even arrested because of Florida's gun laws? You can't possible be saying those two situations aren't identical.
Behave, I waiting to here from my cub cop reporter.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,972 times
No it will not. According to most liberals (who control the media), the murder of White people only deserves a passing mention...especially if the perpetrators are members of the permanent underclass they perpetuate in order to maintain power.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
No it will not. According to most liberals (who control the media), the murder of White people only deserves a passing mention...especially if the perpetrators are members of the permanent underclass they perpetuate in order to maintain power.
Liberals control Fox News now? Wow, they must use it to pass subliminal messages given that the reporting is rather right leaning. I guess it's all part of that big conspiracy. Do tell us, did they help in faking the moon landings, covering up both bigfoot and the aliens and conspiring for 911?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies