Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I signed up a couple years ago...it's a marketplace where some people work for $1.00 an hour and sometimes even less than that.

It's generally a very bad deal for workers, but they don't let you figure that out until you sign up.

Umm...

You know from the start that it is a bad deal. Heck, one would have to be severely stupid to think it is going to be good pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
I owned a construction company here in SoCal. After paying the 3 crews, rent, insurance, permits, bonds, gas for my truck, factor interest, and then after becoming a target for credit card fraud - I was working for grocery money (if I was lucky.) It's what rich (snark) business owners do. After 32 years in business, I was forced into bankruptcy, but my crews always got paid.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
I signed up a couple years ago...it's a marketplace where some people work for $1.00 an hour and sometimes even less than that.

It's generally a very bad deal for workers, but they don't let you figure that out until you sign up.
Yes, its a bad deal if it is your full-time and only job. Mturk.com is supposed to be something you do in your spare time for bread and milk money, not a full-time income. However, I think you are better off just selling plasma because it pays better. You can make $100 a week selling plasma is some locations.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
freightshaker -
Pushing the risk down to the workers and the reward up to the owners is the basis of the American business and class system.
Sounds like you are dissatisfied. Time to get off the old arse and start a business if you do not want an employer.

Otherwise, just remain an employee (and a whiner).

Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,933,716 times
Quote:
freightshaker -
Do you give your employees a share of the "exceptional profit"? Don't you consider these profits as the reason you are in business and they are not? Or do you just consider them objects to be hired and paid as little as possible during good times and disposed of during bad? If the latter, it seems to me that the workers are actually taking more risk than you with very little possibility of reward. Pushing the risk down to the workers and the reward up to the owners is the basis of the American business and class system.
Greg.... Well, most of the time when I make an exceptional profit, it has to go to the bank where I had to borrow money to make it through the lean times and still pay my staff... Yes, I have BORROWED money to pay their salaries... Aside from the rare occassion where I do make "an exceptional profit" where is my upside? You seem to have some preconcieved notions of how small business operates in this country without any base in reality. You have no idea the lengths most of us go to in order to keep "our people" on the payroll... My ex and my kids have lived in a loft apartment over the company shop when I was forced to sell our house once, but guess what? Every employee was paid. You seem to have all the answers of how to go about running a small business. Have you? Maybe since you have all the answers, perhaps you should open one yourself and show us all how it should be done. I would wager you wouldn't last 6 months.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
Quote:
freightshaker -
Do you give your employees a share of the "exceptional profit"? Don't you consider these profits as the reason you are in business and they are not? Or do you just consider them objects to be hired and paid as little as possible during good times and disposed of during bad? If the latter, it seems to me that the workers are actually taking more risk than you with very little possibility of reward. Pushing the risk down to the workers and the reward up to the owners is the basis of the American business and class system.
I paid my dues--working for others. I put in the time to gain the experience. I worked day and night. I studied, gained accreditation, licenses,and skills. My name went on the mortgage on the shop and on the equipment loans. I bought the insurance. I spent years struggling and juggling every form of debt there is in order to get established. I put up with piles of needless regulation which do nothing for my customers but drive up my costs. If the roof leaks, it is my problem; if the computers go down, it is my problem; if a major customer has a problem, it is my problem.

All an employee has to do is show up for work.

There are exceptions, but by and large, the basis of "the American business and class system" is merit and sweat. If you are valuable to the rest of society, you get paid for that value. If you are not, you don't. The only conspiracy against the average person is yours: the one that promotes the idea that being of value to others is somehow NOT connected to income and wealth.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Race to the bottom...
Not so: anyone with some understanding of the markets knows that noboby who is healthy and intelligent enough for full-time employment is going to accept the minimum wage for very long.

And there is no "race to the bottom" unless the pursuit of security is involved. Downward pressure on wages in general occurs only when large numbers of people are displaced from the labor market; that's when the "bottom feeders" like call centers go looking for the desperate. The process isn't so much to cut wages for those already employed as to hire new employeees at the lowest "prevailing" rate the market will bear. Everybody gets a chance to improve from there; it's not our fault that the same people who complain about the low wages and demands for personal subjugation in "service induistry" often harbor unrealistic expectations of their own.

And in addition, there is the growing practice of seasonal employment, with Unemployment Compensation filling in for the off-season. These jobs, in fields like landscaping or seasonal industrial maintenance (weed control, to cite one example) generally pay a premium over the prevailing rate, but the outdoor work, the long hours in the peak summer season, and the instability often scare away those obsessed with security, comfort, and/or "long weekends".

Supply and demand will adjust the details, as they always have; it's only the grown-up children conditioned to expect too much who are raising an issue here.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Not so: anyone with some understanding of the markets knows that noboby who is healthy and intelligent enough for full-time employment is going to accept the minimum wage for very long.

And there is no "race to the bottom" unless the pursuit of security is involved. Downward pressure on wages in general occurs only when large numbers of people are displaced from the labor market; that's when the "bottom feeders" like call centers go looking for the desperate. The process isn't so much to cut wages for those already employed as to hire new employeees at the lowest "prevailing" rate the market will bear. Everybody gets a chance to improve from there; it's not our fault that the same people who complain about the low wages and demands for personal subjugation in "service induistry" often harbor unrealistic expectations of their own.

And in addition, there is the growing practice of seasonal employment, with Unemployment Compensation filling in for the off-season. These jobs, in fields like landscaping or seasonal industrial maintenance (weed control, to cite one example) generally pay a premium over the prevailing rate, but the outdoor work, the long hours in the peak summer season, and the instability often scare away those obsessed with security, comfort, and/or "long weekends".

Supply and demand will adjust the details, as they always have; it's only the grown-up children conditioned to expect too much who are raising an issue here.
You struck at the heart of the issue when bringing up security. The people with these attitudes about employers and the minimum wage ultimately push for "no layoff" clauses in work rules and even in state laws.

If, through manipulating politicians and rules, they can guarantee themselves high wages with no chance of a layoff, don't they truly become THE BOSS, with the business owner being merely subservient, and not able to make a decision?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,840 times
No minimum wage means proliferation of slave labor in America

I hope this never happens so please, no more Neocons in charge

Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 AM

865 posts, read 622,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
if u can't afford paying minimum wage to your employees u have no business running a company...go play video games instead...
Dumbest post ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies