Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

The cost of private insurance is such that I now insure my wife and leave myself uninsured. The only plan I can afford is the 'high deductible' plan, whereby I pay the first 10k. Since I don't get sick much, I figure I may as well take my chances that if I do get sick it will be under 10k.

There should be a sliding scale where the working person can buy in to a new Medicaid category that is fully funded by the Federal government, and available on a sliding income scale. There is profit in the healthcare sector.

The CEO of United Healthcare gave himself a 1 billion dollar bonus a few years ago. That's more than the GDP of most countries!

A 'government option' such as this would make life a lot easier for millions of Americans if Obama's forced requirement to buy health insurance by 2014 takes effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
I agree, it seems totally unfair that some people get "rewarded" by get getting MA for NOT working but those of us who do work and aren't lucky enough to have an employer who provides affordable healthcare, have to suffer. Also, there's a lot of people who are on MA who would work, if they didn't fear losing the benefits that they need to survive.
So, instead, they quit work, get MA and sometimes full disability as well...when they could work at least part time and maybe not have to draw so many benefits if they could keep their medical

Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Anything that is "fully funded by the Federal Government" is an absolute non-starter and shouldn't even be considered.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Well as long as your willing to pay the increase in state taxes and fees to pay your states portion of it. That is exactly what the new healthcrae bill will do in 2017. Remmber it was Nelsen (D) of nebraska who got aq exemptiogn form the increase startig in 2027 for his state saying it would bankrupt his state.The is no free stuff;its always passed on to the consumer i the end.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Anything that is "fully funded by the Federal Government" is an absolute non-starter and shouldn't even be considered.
So it's far better to have health care through bankruptcy? That way you can be assured that the government stays out of paying for someone else's health care?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
sure,,let's give medicaid to everyone....after all its free

but let's be fair about it...you want medicaid..have at it...but everyone who TAKES it, should pay the TAX for it

oh how about a better Idea....pay your own darn bill

its your body, your healthcare...your bill.....dont expect others to pay your way

Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
I agree with 1 payer but it should be thus:

1) A national payroll tax of (making the number up) 5% each side. Like SS and medicare everyone pays. Any and all compensation is included including stock options etc but hits everyone from dollar 1.
2) 20% coinsurance and $2000 copay. You must have skin in the game.
3) A law against first dollar insurance. You must have skin in the game.
4) Everyone in.
5) A doctors visit is lets say 5x minimum wage. Basic scrips are say 3x minimum wage. Name brand is 10 minimum wage.
This is meant to make sure you get care. If you want to see a doc you will pay something.

>oh how about a better Idea....pay your own darn bill

its your body, your healthcare...your bill.....dont expect others to pay your way<

A working class person is going to pay the $1500 a month family insurance costs, how?

The irony is the couch potato gets everything free while the working stiff not only doesnt get insurance, due to his lack of insurance he will pay ~3x more for a hospital admission than the rich guy with insurace.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sure,,let's give medicaid to everyone....after all its free

but let's be fair about it...you want medicaid..have at it...but everyone who TAKES it, should pay the TAX for it

oh how about a better Idea....pay your own darn bill

its your body, your healthcare...your bill.....dont expect others to pay your way
But what if you have cancer and it will cost $100,000.00 to cure it and you don't have so much as $1000.00 in the bank?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Then you go on medicaid or insurance pays if you have paid for it. Quite different than putting everyone on medicaid as originally posted.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So it's far better to have health care through bankruptcy? That way you can be assured that the government stays out of paying for someone else's health care?
The OP stated he has a catastrophic type insurance plan with a 10K deductible. I am a huge proponent of catstrophic plans. Everyone needs skin the game. High deducitible plans are the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies